Steam running high on mem

Occidio

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone know why Steam will craw up to around 200meg of memory when it isn't suppose to be doing anything? Granted, all I have to do is open the store or something then close it and it goes back to normal but I shouldn't have to do this.
Anyone else run into this kind of problem or even bothered to check?

Ive seen it do that a few times.

I just opened it and itstarted at 45mb and is climbing...now 50... now 60... Memory leak? :D

128MB atm and doing absolutely nothing, which is just unacceptable.

Run procmon on it. see what its doing.
It's always connected and doing shit in the background. Updates all the time for me, but I don't notice it.(not hurting over 200MB) I assume its always doing something, maybe the system survey?

Doesn't everyone have like 8+ GB of RAM these days? :p

That was kinda my point. :)

Do what socK said, if it really bothers you. If its not crashing, hanging, slowing the box, I don't see a problem here. It never goes above a certain amount, which is probably all it needs. Thats a good thing.

200mb is 2.44% of your total RAM. Are you really that butthurt about 2.44%?

It's seriously time to get out of the mindset of "zomg i have to have as much free RAMz as I canz!"

Unused RAM is wasted RAM.

Don't worry, I am not butt hurt over this. I am just curious why it is doing it all the time. I am not running Big mode. I have noticed Steam has done this for a long time, just never bothered posting about it. Guess I should have just kept it to myself with all the comments I am seeing sheesh, lol.

I wonder if the memory footprint changes based on how many assets it has downloaded at any given time. Sure, some of the assets will be cached but it may store a bunch in memory.

Don't worry, I am not butt hurt over this. I am just curious why it is doing it all the time. I am not running Big mode. I have noticed Steam has done this for a long time, just never bothered posting about it. Guess I should have just kept it to myself with all the comments I am seeing sheesh, lol.

I don't mean big screen mode, you can do it at any time if you feel that smaller numbers will make you feel better. Switch to tiny mode then go back (or leave it).

It better use as much memory as it needs! I get pissed when I go into the grid view and all the graphic blocks aren't loaded! :p

Mine's running at 97mb here in my office with 3 small indie games installed and at home with big games it usually sits around the 112mb area

Mines running at 36Mb of memory, approximately 0.2% of my system RAM, I think a single tab in a browser will run at more than this. It's most likely the browser elements of steam using more memory, if the steam page open has media like streaming video it might jump up a bit.

By today standards 200mb is nothing, 16Gb is really cheap and is quickly become the new 4Gb, fairly standard for new gaming and high end builds.

RAM is a solved problem to be honest.

Steam has been running for like 9 days straight on mine. Its using 264MB. I have 12GB of ram so i really have no care. My friends list is up on my second monitor and there are 3 chat windows running from last night.

Well, given that only six or seven tabs open in FireFox right now is running at around 285MB, I'm not really concerned with Steam, which is currently running at about 175MB for me right now.

I run 6GB RAM, more than enough, sweet spot for most, and more than enough that no one should have any issues these days.

Leave FireFox open with several tabs for nine days, then watch how much mem that uses, ha ha.

I guess let me explain it a little further as some do not know what I mean. I will express again, I don't mind that is it using this amount of memory, I was just trying to figure out why.
Without Steam opened up and looking at it, computer has been on for awhile, if you go to task manager and look at the Steam process, it will be running high(personal opinion here apparently :p) on memory. While task manager is open, go to the task bar(those hidden icons running) and open Steam up. Memory will go back to normal, around 26 or some other number.
I just find it odd when you are not using the program is when it is running high for some reason.

200mb is 2.44% of your total RAM. Are you really that butthurt about 2.44%?

It's seriously time to get out of the mindset of "zomg i have to have as much free RAMz as I canz!"

Unused RAM is wasted RAM.

x2. I have 32GB of ram in my laptop and steam is using ~80MB. No big deal IMHO. I mean I could see steam legitly taking up to ~250MB depending on what you're doing, remember there is an integrated web browser in there, plus if you are downloading games it probably uses up some ram too, etc.

After 10+ days, my steam is using 33mb.

This is with Win 7, might be there's a memory leak for Win 8?

Back