Steam Reaches 14 Million Concurrent Users For First Time In Its History

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Another day, another Steam record. Just a couple of hours ago, the service peaked at 14 million users. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and Dota 2 were especially popular, with the latter reaching nearly a million players.

Valve’s digital distribution platform reached a new peak of just over 14.2 million simultaneous users. It’s the latest milestone in the platform’s 13 year history and comes shortly after its most recent winter sale concluded earlier this week. Perhaps not unexpectedly, many of the same games that led Steam in revenue for 2016 were also charting near the top for concurrent users when the service surpassed 14 million. Grand Theft Auto V, Civilization V, and Football Manager 2017 each hitting between 50,000 and 100,000 users a piece.

I thought there were at least 10 times that many users globally.

concurrent
Yeah I know what concurrent means, but even then it seems low.

Or perhaps they're only counting users who were actually running a game at the time? Not just logged in to steam? Because they speak about the platform reaching 14 million. To me that suggested all the steam users online. I'm online right now just not running any games at the moment.

Pardon?

It seems, at least in my experience, that Steam has kept true to keeping-up with updates. My experience with Steam is they have provided updates daily if not several times a day. Each update has been a improvement upon the last. That is my experience.

I'm far from saying that your experience is There are many other factors involved to determine quality of service. Mine has been different from yours. Doesn't make my experience nullified.

All that money and so little service/client upkeep.

How many of these accounts are cheaters re-creating an account after getting a vac ban.

That'd make for a heck of a lan party...

1024px-Winter_2004_DreamHack_LAN_Party.jpg

Yeah I know what concurrent means, but even then it seems low.

Or perhaps they're only counting users who were actually running a game at the time? Not just logged in to steam? Because they speak about the platform reaching 14 million. To me that suggested all the steam users online. I'm online right now just not running any games at the moment.

I think they were counting 14 million concurrent players in online multiplayer games. I'm guessing that the Steam client is constantly running and people playing single player games in excess of that number constantly.

We ran huge Quake2 lan parties years ago; we popped the main breaker at a buddies house once, lol.

I think they were counting 14 million concurrent players in online multiplayer games. I'm guessing that the Steam client is constantly running and people playing single player games in excess of that number constantly.
That would make sense of the number. But also means this is an absolutely indifferent statistic to me.

I'm kind of one of the recent converts. I installed it way back when it first came out, but I was rather annoyed with its slow startup, so I hadn't reinstalled it in a while. Later, I reinstalled it because I got a free game from Nvidia, but the only way to get it was through Steam. Then I got bored with the game and hadn't reinstalled Steam for my last two dozen or so OS reinstalls. Recently, I reinstalled it to see about a game sale, but then I didn't find anything that I liked. So, its sitting on my system doing nothing right now. I'm betting there are more than a few like me in this regard.

I'm kind of one of the recent converts. I installed it way back when it first came out, but I was rather annoyed with its slow startup, so I hadn't reinstalled it in a while. Later, I reinstalled it because I got a free game from Nvidia, but the only way to get it was through Steam. Then I got bored with the game and hadn't reinstalled Steam for my last two dozen or so OS reinstalls. Recently, I reinstalled it to see about a game sale, but then I didn't find anything that I liked. So, its sitting on my system doing nothing right now. I'm betting there are more than a few like me in this regard.

Not really. Pretty much everyone who plays PC games uses Steam and has for about a decade. It sounds like you need to get with the times.

Back