steam pwns other game companies yet again

I saw Search Inventory on my profile and others..didnt know what it was for..pretty cool..opt'd in..always looking for cool hats for my TF2

Steam is not a game company, Valve is.
Steam is a digital distribution platform/store, not a game.

This is hardly "pwning".

I think steam is a pretty cool company. eh sells gmaes and doesn’t afraid of anything…

:D

so you can now trade hats and other worthless stuff?

correction, you can trade a hat that costs $7.99 or a kickass weapon that costs $0.49

this is not "pwn" by any stretch. Pwning would be....actual sales worth buying. Honestly, I dont care how many times you put train simulator on sale, IM NOT BUYING IT!

correction, you can trade a hat that costs $7.99 or a kickass weapon that costs $0.49

this is not "pwn" by any stretch. Pwning would be....actual sales worth buying. Honestly, I dont care how many times you put train simulator on sale, IM NOT BUYING IT!

+1.. i've had a steam account since day one of it starting.. i've logged in maybe 3 or 4 times in the last 3 years and this crap isn't going to make me start using it any time soon either.

So trading stupid TF2MMO items like hats = pwnage? I guess pwnage isn't what it used to be. All my friends will love me forever when I gift them with virtual clothing and accessory items for their Valve characters! The true meaning of Christmas is giving your loved one a TF2 hat.

most of you probably have hats you will never use from various games. with a market place you can trade them for free games. what's not to like about that?

Aw, I was hoping this meant I could trade in all the useless "gift coppies" of games like TF2 etc that I have attached to my account for other games I don't own yet. :(

All of my friends who would ever play these games have them by now, and some of these are free-to-play now anyways. Would be pretty sweet to be able to trade in extra gift coppies since they're not likely to ever be used.

...And I could care less about having any more hats in FT2 - completely useless.

I think some of you guys are missing the point where you can trade hats for games, or vice versa. People who finds themself with valuable virtual items that they don't want can actually trade them for a free game.

I think this is pretty neat, even though I am not a big TF2 player (maybe even more so because I'm not). If I do find something of value, I'd gladly trade it to someone for a game I would actually play, rather than have it sit around unused by me.

big deal. The steam TF2 trading forum is already littered with people trading hats for game-gifts and mods do nothing about it. Only difference will be that now Valve can officially ban people in other game forums when they mention "tf2 items for this game", without being hypocrites

Aw, I was hoping this meant I could trade in all the useless "gift coppies" of games like TF2 etc that I have attached to my account for other games I don't own yet. :(

Good news, madFive!

What do you mean by trading Steam Gifts? said:
Any game you’ve purchased from the store as a gift, or received as an Extra Copy, can be traded to other users. They can be used to trade for other Gifts, or for items in Team Fortress 2. We’ve added a new checkout option to the Store when purchasing a gift so you can save it for trading or sending later, to support users who want to save games for trade fodder.

Take out the space between re and f; The forum software thinks this is an affiliate link. It's just a FAQ: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?re f=6748-ETSG-5417

Wow they add this worthless garbage, but they still haven't addressed any of the issues with people who already own a game not being able to buy 4 packs or package deals not giving you gift games for the games of the pack you had prior to getting the pack. I personally do not like where this trading stuff is going. It just seems very reminiscent of Free 2 Play games, except for the fact that you'll have to buy these games and then have to buy new items for the game if you want to keep competitive.

This may not seem like anything special at the moment, but you have to employ a little vision.

While they might start off with a beta that only allows you to trade an extremely limited amount of games / items... it may very well grow into the first Digital Service that allows you to pawn off your crap list of games to those who actually want them. When that happens there will be no reason for me to even consider another digital download service.

Steam trading the new bitcoin? :eek:

Seriously... I'm curious, I have a 'few' hundred hours (little compared to those with 1000's, but I can hold my own) in TF2 and tons of stuff.... will see...

Thats something that pisses me off about steam when it happens. When you buy a pack that includes a game you aready have, and it has to be one of the "ultra special" games where buying 2 copies means you have 2 copies of it. If I bought a pink cake, and then a selection of 3 cakes with a pink cake in it, i'd expect to have 2 godamned pink cakes. It's not like I didn't pay for it, twice. So why not 2 copies :p

Thats something that pisses me off about steam when it happens. When you buy a pack that includes a game you aready have, and it has to be one of the "ultra special" games where buying 2 copies means you have 2 copies of it. If I bought a pink cake, and then a selection of 3 cakes with a pink cake in it, i'd expect to have 2 godamned pink cakes. It's not like I didn't pay for it, twice. So why not 2 copies :p

That's because the cake is a lie.

If Steam really wants to own the competition, then let people re-sell the games they don't play any more. And take the idiotic toaster example off their FAQ about the issue - like no one has ever sold anything used before?

because people can then buy for example, multiple quake packs and set up a shop on ebay parting out the packs for hundreds of bucks.

Wow they add this worthless garbage, but they still haven't addressed any of the issues with people who already own a game not being able to buy 4 packs or package deals not giving you gift games for the games of the pack you had prior to getting the pack. I personally do not like where this trading stuff is going. It just seems very reminiscent of Free 2 Play games, except for the fact that you'll have to buy these games and then have to buy new items for the game if you want to keep competitive.

Not sure if i read this right, but you don't have to buy any items in TF2 to stay competitive. You can receive all items that have different stats by just playing. Most of them are trash anyways.

h0tkJ.jpg

You do realize Valve was actually one of the first major game companies (I think it is actually the first) to implement an "online pass" system that restricts (and actually completely prevents) you from transferring ownership of a game right? Or did you think you could transfer ownership of that Half-Life 2 purchase locked to your Steam account?

I would really love it if other companies (Borderlands by Gearbox immediately comes to mind) would implement a similar system where a player didn't have to be in-game to trade an item.

You do realize Valve was actually one of the first major game companies (I think it is actually the first) to implement an "online pass" system that restricts (and actually completely prevents) you from transferring ownership of a game right? Or did you think you could transfer ownership of that Half-Life 2 purchase locked to your Steam account?

For some reason, there are tons of Steam fanboys that will give Valve a pass for anything. If someone else does it, it is evil. If Valve does it, it is great. They have a mental disjoint when it comes to Valve.

Now don't get me wrong, I like Steam and use it, but I recognize its downsides and I don't want it to be the only way games are done. However there are plenty of people who are "All Steam all the time."

It would be neat if you could sell, get credit for,trade or even give away some of your Steam inventory you never play anymore.

Most everyone here buys pretty much AA titles from Steam, so their inventory would be worth trading or selling.

Even getting $5 for a game that you don't play anymore to be used as a discount towards a new Steam purchase would be pretty nice.

For some reason, there are tons of Steam fanboys that will give Valve a pass for anything. If someone else does it, it is evil. If Valve does it, it is great. They have a mental disjoint when it comes to Valve.

Now don't get me wrong, I like Steam and use it, but I recognize its downsides and I don't want it to be the only way games are done. However there are plenty of people who are "All Steam all the time."

Gabe Newell: MIcrosoft and XBox Live are EVIL for not letting us ship what we want, how we want.

Gabe Newell: You will only ship DLC through Steam, you may not use any other channel. You must also FEEEEEEEEEEEEEED MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

This is the 10th time I've posted that. No one seems to see this. Valve berated MS for doing it, then went and did it themselves.

because people can then buy for example, multiple quake packs and set up a shop on ebay parting out the packs for hundreds of bucks.

But selling steam games is a breach of the rules. :p

I paid for 2...so why don't I own 2? Surely that makes no sense? If I buy valve games and then buy a valve pack I have multiple copies of valve games I can sell for $10. What if I want to have 1 copy of doom 3 for me, and then give my other copy to a friend for some LAN action. Why not just be allowed to designate an "overflow" account, where all games get automatically gifted to that person and cannot be transferred?

If EA did this people would nonstop bitch and moan about it.

Gabe Newell: MIcrosoft and XBox Live are EVIL for not letting us ship what we want, how we want.

Gabe Newell: You will only ship DLC through Steam, you may not use any other channel. You must also FEEEEEEEEEEEEEED MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

This is the 10th time I've posted that. No one seems to see this. Valve berated MS for doing it, then went and did it themselves.

It's not a requirement for DLC to be sold only through Steam, it's a requirement to make the DLC also available through Steam. Surely out of the ten times you've posted that, someone has pointed that out.

WTF is with everyone and hats. Those are the most useless items I have ever heard for a game. OMG I am so cool I got this hat and that hat. Seriously who the F cares?

And now you can trade them for games? Don't see Steam pwning anything.

WTF is with everyone and hats. Those are the most useless items I have ever heard for a game. OMG I am so cool I got this hat and that hat. Seriously who the F cares?

And now you can trade them for games? Don't see Steam pwning anything.

A dude who designed a TF2 hat to sell in the online store got a check for $40,000, and it's still coming for him.

He gets a cut of every sale of the hat he made.

http://kotaku.com/5669981/making-te...cQFjAJ&usg=AFQjCNFke0qnIteMtWpO-c-wYF59UBXvGg

And people actually buy hats that add absolutely nothing to the gameplay? That is fine though right? But when CoD adds some maps that is not OK? I don't get this logic at all to be honest...No gameplay added versus gameplay added.

And people actually buy hats that add absolutely nothing to the gameplay? That is fine though right? But when CoD adds some maps that is not OK? I don't get this logic at all to be honest...No gameplay added versus gameplay added.

You're forced to buy map packs if you want to play with your friends.

You are NOT forced to buy hats in TF2, they are optional and have no effect on the game.

Back