Steam problem

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Denpepe, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Denpepe

Denpepe Gawd

So my recently rebuilt computer with a clean windows 10 install seems to be having some issues with steam webhelper.exe.

My computer will lock up and the only thing I can find in the logs is "Error: Failed to add firewall exception for C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\bin\cef\cef.win7x64\steamwebhelper.exe"

The weird thing is that the cef.win7x64 dir does not exist, I only have a cef.win7 dir (which does have the webhelper file in it, also have webhelper whitelisted in windows firewall)

I tried to fix it by uninstalling steam and reinstalling but this did not seem to fix it.

I can see on google that this problem seems to be semi common, but I can't seem to find a fix for it.

2. Armenius

Armenius [H]ardForum Junkie

At what point when you were reinstalling things did you initially install Steam?

3. Denpepe

Denpepe Gawd

hmm, the store that did the troubleshooting with my old stuff built in the new mobo and CPU and did the windows install + drivers. When I got the machine home and hooked up I started installing my software steam would have been one of the first things to be installed.

4. Armenius

Armenius [H]ardForum Junkie

Are you using a third-party firewall? If so, is the Windows firewall disabled?

5. Denpepe

Denpepe Gawd

Just the windows firewall.

6. Denpepe

Denpepe Gawd

Ok so a little update: so far I haven't had any more crashes for a couple days. I did however after the last crash change my RAM which I was planning to do anyways since I wanted the quad channel kit back for when my 7820x get's RMA'd.

/knocks on wood hoping he did not just jinx himself.