Steam overlay Now supported in Mantle games

I wouldn't be surprised if the Source engine gets Mantle support in the near future. :)

This is really great news! So Valve has been actively working with Mantle, this is encouraging, curious to see what comes next.

It also mean that potentially the other overlay programms are close to support as well.

Fraps, Sweetfx, SMAA, etc..

That's possible...

In this case seeing Valve working with Mantle has a lot of potential. As far as I know people are not screaming for Mantle overlay support, so I'm guessing this is a developer test for Valve. There is a lot of potential for them with their Source engine, fast tracking Linux & Mac ports, and SteamOS support without going through a DX wrapper (time delay and performance loss).

They potentially have a lot to gain from supporting Mantle. Wouldn't be surprised if Gabe himself has been pushing AMD behind the scenes for Linux (and by extension Apple) support. AMD has been hinting there is demand for Linux support.

Steam is on top of things like this more than most. EA Origin has issues with different games and other overlays e.g. Rivatuner and they blatently ignore requests to fix and address the issues. I've also run into issues with Uplay. It doesn't surprise me that Steam is the first to show some positive support out of these digital distribution vendors.

Valve is fully invested in OpenGL. That's not to say that they aren't open to other avenues, but I think this is more about Valve taking care of their AMD-using customers than it is an endorsement of another graphics API.

Yup tried it with Thief also, works great. Keeps that Mantle glass smooth feel I find very distinctive to Mantle supported games.

nice to see them improving mantle...well done amd:) would really love to see afterburner support mantle osd as well

Last edited:
Back