Steam: Over 500,000 Steam Controllers Sold

HardOCP News

[H] News
Valve has announced that the company has sold more than 500k Steam Controllers. To celebrate, it looks like the Steam Controller is on sale for $34.99 until June 6th. If you've been waiting to pick one up, this 30% off deal makes it almost too good to pass up.

We’re excited to announce that over half a million Steam Controllers have been sold. With every controller that comes online we get the opportunity to get more feedback on how to make the Steam Controller even better. We’ve been hard at work with the community, and wanted to share some of the recent improvements we’ve made together. Developers are now fine-tuning their games to work great with the Steam Controller at launch. Recent examples include DOOM, XCOM 2 and Dark Souls III, and more are coming soon.

Anybody use one? Are they better than my Xbox One Elite Controller?

I've got one. Don't have an elite controller to compare to but I can say that "I doubt it" as far as Steam controller being better than Elite controller.

The customization is ridiculously in depth on the Steam controller but the build quality isn't the greatest. Also, I haven't found a way to use the controller without running Steam in big picture which is almost a deal breaker.
The UI in big picture isn't intuitive to use with the controller and they don't have key bindings shown for a lot of the actions you can do in Big Picture with the controller, so it's "hunt and peck" for figuring it out. One example of this is when getting a message from somebody while playing a game. You'd think that hitting the steam center button would take you directly to the message to respond (it shows the steam button with their name and message) but more often than not it just takes me to the Friends tab in the overlay. Then I have to navigate to the friend that messaged me, click their name, then navigate to the message box to the very right. It's terrible.

ALL THAT SAID:
I played Dark Souls III with the Steam Controller and it was a much more enjoyable experience when compared to a normal Xbone controller once I changed the default profile on the Steam Controller. Steam Controller is also much easier to have two fingers on each side of the back (one finger for trigger, one for bumper) where on Xbone it feels awkward to hold the controller that way.

I like mine when gaming on the tv. The gyro is pretty handy for aiming. You just have to be willing to tinker with it to get the most out of it. Last night I used it to play TW:Warhammer from the couch on the 60" which was kind of neat.

I've got one. Don't have an elite controller to compare to but I can say that "I doubt it" as far as Steam controller being better than Elite controller.

The customization is ridiculously in depth on the Steam controller but the build quality isn't the greatest. Also, I haven't found a way to use the controller without running Steam in big picture which is almost a deal breaker.
The UI in big picture isn't intuitive to use with the controller and they don't have key bindings shown for a lot of the actions you can do in Big Picture with the controller, so it's "hunt and peck" for figuring it out. One example of this is when getting a message from somebody while playing a game. You'd think that hitting the steam center button would take you directly to the message to respond (it shows the steam button with their name and message) but more often than not it just takes me to the Friends tab in the overlay. Then I have to navigate to the friend that messaged me, click their name, then navigate to the message box to the very right. It's terrible.

ALL THAT SAID:
I played Dark Souls III with the Steam Controller and it was a much more enjoyable experience when compared to a normal Xbone controller once I changed the default profile on the Steam Controller. Steam Controller is also much easier to have two fingers on each side of the back (one finger for trigger, one for bumper) where on Xbone it feels awkward to hold the controller that way.

Cool thanks. The customization is what I like about the Elite since I got to change the bumper buttons to the added back paddles. This makes it way more comfortable for me. But like Sturmangriff was saying, I was thinking of getting one for games like TW.

Cool thanks. The customization is what I like about the Elite since I got to change the bumper buttons to the added back paddles. This makes it way more comfortable for me. But like Sturmangriff was saying, I was thinking of getting one for games like TW.

Would be nice if Valve can setup some sort of compatibility mode with the XBOX controller so I can just use the Steam Controller (instead of the XBOne) with the Oculus Rift.

I won't buy one until they ship to Hawaii. Hey Steam - this isn't the 90's. You can ship to Hawaii now.

They can also stop being cheap by adding wireless AC modem to the steam link that costs 34.99

Id rather spend the extra 100.00 and get a nvidia shield !

More liek is the XBOX Elite controller better than 4 steam controllers because that's how many you could get for the price of one xbox elite.

More liek is the XBOX Elite controller better than 4 steam controllers because that's how many you could get for the price of one xbox elite.

True but there are some games with no joy support. Dragons Lair :(
stupid developers promised to add joy support like 2 years ago and still nothing

long live xbox controllers on steam.. i got alot of them!

I still prefer my XB1 elite controller in most cases i'll use the steam one mostly just in games that don't support joysticks. Only bought the steam controller because of novelty and it was "cheap" as far as controller go now of days not that the build quality really surprises me.

I still use Xbox controller for most parts, as I am more farmiliar with the controller, and some games don't actually play like a controller on the Steam controller.

The Steam controller mimicks keyboard inputs, so I found in some games it only moves in 8 axes, but not with a dedicated controller like Xbox one.

One thing I DO like about the controller is the sharable controller input schemes, makes it a LOT easier to transition towards the controller.

Still using a 360 controller here. I'm not too crazy about the Steam controller. I think it looks like it would be good for RTS games/turn based games/etc though. I'd upgrade to a XBOX One controller, but it isn't compatible with Android TV outside of just the Moonlight app (I use the 360 controller for gamestreaming on my SHIELD with the official gamestream app/SHIELD Hub - and not crazy about the SHIELD controller the SHIELD comes with either; it's more of a PS-style controller with the joystick layout).

Last edited:

I do and they are not. They are ok quality wise but nowhere near the build quality of the elite. They feel slightly cheap. They work reasonably well for purpose. They are pretty easy to do mouse control with. I find in strategy type games and so on they work well. No go for FPSes for me, and I'd rather do platformers on the elite but they are ok. If you could only have one, I'd have the elite, but I like having both. They have different uses. I'll play GTA 5 or FFX with the elite, and play Xcom 2 or Galactic Civ 3 with the steam controller.

I really like the Steam controller. I found it awesome for games like Super Meat Boy, Dark Souls 2, and Hyper Light Drifter.

Personally, I think where the controller truly shines is in 3rd person games, as after and adaption period controlling the camera with the right track pad is just the fastest way to get the camera angle you want.

Where I think the controller is weakest is in First Person Shooters. Precise, rapid aiming with that same right track pad just feels sloppy compared to a good mouse, and isn't really in the same league.

Haven't tried it with either strategy/sim or fighters, so I can't comment on those.

I had been using PS dual shocks for years, and then recently switched to a PS3 controller. Moving to the steam controller has been a good upgrade, I really appreciate the ergonomics and comfort of the build.

I have a friend who owns an xbox one elite controller, and it is pretty sweet. I haven't been able to use it in an actual game (surprise there, he keeps it for himself ;)), but it does seem well built.

Honestly though, right now, for a $37 + shipping controller, I don't think you are going to find a better deal than the steam controller, and it is a good controller in its own right.

The touchpads rock. If you've ever spent time using a trackball, then the default behavior of the touchpad + haptic feedback will feel familiar when pushing a cursor around. I'm not sure about all genres but turning X-COM and X-COM2 in to couch games is just a wonderful experience.
The price point was great originally, but the current sale makes it tempting to pick up a few more. (probably means the next version is around the corner though)

Price: CDN$ 59.99 & FREE Shipping. Details

Temporarily out of stock.

yawn

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Also, I haven't found a way to use the controller without running Steam in big picture which is almost a deal breaker.

That's odd. The controller works for me without Big Picture mode launched or any extra layer of software in Windows 10 desktop.

Thats it? thats literally it? 500k steam machines in 7 months is absolutely horrid. And people thought this would start a linux revolution lmfao

I won't buy one until they ship to Hawaii. Hey Steam - this isn't the 90's. You can ship to Hawaii now.
If you have a Gamestop nearby they have the steam controller and the steam link on sale in store for $35.

I like the X-ONE controller over my PS4 controller but the bumper buttons are nicer on the PS4.

Steam controller works great for me. HTPC navigation, Darksouls 3. Color scheme doesn't look out of place on the living room coffee table, and the build quality feels very good to me.

Picked one up on release, and then a second one for $20 off Ebay that was a 'display model'. Both work 100% and get frequent use.

Controllers, not machines

in other words theyve sold even less steam machines because

a) the didnt publish that number
b) chances are they are including a controll sale number with every actual steam machine sale

Last I checked, Amazon does not seem to have discounted prices for some reason (on both US/CAN sides).
I just went down to a local game store and got the discounted prices: EB Games / Gamestop. It's 30% off, so you're looking at roughly $42.

Hopefully the analog stick can last longer than 360 controllers, I hear even the xbone elite still has the same drifting issues as regular 360 controllers. I usually get about a little over a year out of mine before then and do not fancy re-soldering in a replacement. Some suggest to just get the ISRP and keep taking them back as a solution... it does work out to be cheaper than buying replacement controllers.

Price: CDN$ 59.99 & FREE Shipping. Details

Temporarily out of stock.

yawn

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I like PC gaming because keyboard and mouse is just so much better. That being said I actually do use my steam controller a lot. Prior to getting it the only time I would ever use a controller was for driving games like GTA. Now I use a steam controller for games like Witcher 3. I would not use an xbox controller for that because the camera control is just too sloppy. I can deal with the trackpads.

If you have a Gamestop nearby they have the steam controller and the steam link on sale in store for $35.

Thanks, We did have Gamestops and maybe still do. I'm a KBM guy but I'd try a controller for Dark Souls if it's cheap enough.

Can this be used with an Android device? I know it's not intended for that use, but anything that allows that level of fiddling with seems like it could be made to do about anything. I used to use a wiimote for games on my phone, but that doesnt work with newer galaxy phones.

i would not call 500k controllers a flop. im sure steam boxes are a flop right now.. its not so hard to build your own anyway. steam boxes should be standarized to 1 or 2 models updated every 12 to 18 mo.

Controllers, not machines
Well, Valve has said the 500K number includes those sold with Steam Machines. So common sense would say the number of Steam Machines sold is far, far less than 500K.

A gigantic flop by any definition. Pretty much everyone who wasn't a Linux evangelist or a Valve employee could have predicted the machines would fail. It was fun arguing about Steam Machines for a year on these forums though.

Well, Valve has said the 500K number includes those sold with Steam Machines. So common sense would say the number of Steam Machines sold is far, far less than 500K.

A gigantic flop by any definition. Pretty much everyone who wasn't a Linux evangelist or a Valve employee could have predicted the machines would fail. It was fun arguing about Steam Machines for a year on these forums though.

That's kind of my conclusion, but I never really thought it would have be a hit. I commend Steam's effort, but there is far too many kinks to work out unfortunately

Back