Steam on Linux Mint (Cinnamon) 17.2

DeadlyAura

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm having a problem on my desktop... I just installed Linux Mint 17.2, and Steam (steam-launcher) is available on the Software Manager, and also natively in the repos. Steam installs just fine, updates, runs perfectly.... But I can't install any games. It constantly hangs at "Creating game cache," and eventually errors with "Connection timed out."

I have tried:
Restoring a backup
Upgrading to beta
Downgrading to stable
Changing download servers
Changing download rates / delays
Uninstalling / Reinstalling
Installing from Software Manager
Installing from Terminal (both steam-launcher and steam)
Installing the .deb from Steam's website
Reinstalling the operating system
I have changed, in a last ditch effort, all of the permissions on all of Steam's folders and files to ugo+rwx

Nothing has worked, and I have NO idea what to do...

Thoughts?

I'm having a problem on my desktop... I just installed Linux Mint 17.2, and Steam (steam-launcher) is available on the Software Manager, and also natively in the repos. Steam installs just fine, updates, runs perfectly.... But I can't install any games. It constantly hangs at "Creating game cache," and eventually errors with "Connection timed out."

I have tried:
Restoring a backup
Upgrading to beta
Downgrading to stable
Changing download servers
Changing download rates / delays
Uninstalling / Reinstalling
Installing from Software Manager
Installing from Terminal (both steam-launcher and steam)
Installing the .deb from Steam's website
Reinstalling the operating system
I have changed, in a last ditch effort, all of the permissions on all of Steam's folders and files to ugo+rwx

Nothing has worked, and I have NO idea what to do...

Thoughts?

Did you follow the installation instructions? As which user are you trying to run Steam?

I run Steam on Linux Mint 17.2 just fine, so it's defiantly not a problem with Mint.

Does the game download at all and then just not install, or won't the download even initialize?

Have you gone to Steam > Downloads and tried changing your download region just in case it's the server that's having issues? You don't have some form of firewall enabled do you?

I run Steam on Linux Mint 17.2 just fine, so it's defiantly not a problem with Mint.

Does the game download at all and then just not install, or won't the download even initialize?

Doesn't download at all. When you press "Install," the download window pops up, prompts you for where to install, desktop / quick launch shortcut, etc., Next, Next, etc. Then goes to the download window and says: "Creating game cache files" and "preparing **Counter-strike" files for download" (Don't quote me, I'm not on my personal PC at the moment so I can't remember verbatim). Anyway, after it hangs on this window for a while, an error message pops up and says something like "Connection failure, Connection timeout."

Have you gone to Steam > Downloads and tried changing your download region just in case it's the server that's having issues? You don't have some form of firewall enabled do you?

Replied before your ninja edit.

Anyway, I HAVE tried changing download region, I do NOT have a firewall enabled, and I don't believe it is truly a connection issue, because I can't even restore from a local backup.

Replied before your ninja edit.

Anyway, I HAVE tried changing download region, I do NOT have a firewall enabled, and I don't believe it is truly a connection issue, because I can't even restore from a local backup.

Is this a fresh install of Mint? If not is this a new issue and something that hasn't necessarily been a problem in the past? [edit] just re-read first post, obviously new install. Is this the first time you've ran Linux in general or have you successfully had Steam running under Linux in the past?

You don't have some form of hardware firewall blocking steam do you?

Would this be an issue with the user permissions thats running Steam? Maybe steam doesnt have the permissions to create the required directories.

along the lines of auntjemima's post:
Any extra security like SELinux enabled?
Code:
sestatus

The "Preparation" section on the debian wiki has you add your user to some additional groups. They don't pertain to networking, but it could be something to check.
https://wiki.debian.org/Steam

I dont believe its network related at all. I believe the application timed out, not the network connection. But thats just my super awesome guess.

I dont believe its network related at all. I believe the application timed out, not the network connection. But thats just my super awesome guess.

You could very well be right. Has the default path used to save games in Steam been altered at all?

So, I've solved it... Kind of...

After fucking with permissions, and a million other things, I've finally found the stupid...fucking...answer...

I finally changed my download settings to a server outside of the United States, and everything works...

Apparently, Steam could not connect to the download servers. Even when restoring from a local backup, an internet connection is still required to check the hash of the local files against the game server files. If it cannot establish this connection, it will not restore. I had previously tried ALL of the US game servers, and none would connect, but I never tried connecting to one outside of the US. Because of this, I assumed I had a permissions issue.. assumed that Steam did not have permission to create files/folders.

Damn you Steam...

Anyway, it works completely fine now... I just wish the errors had been a little more descriptive from the get-go.

So it was a download region/server issue?

Don't stress, there's complaints about it all over the internet, it's a major problem on Windows also going back as far as 2012!

Back