Steam Offering Free 'Call of Duty' Play

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Steam is offering Call of Duty: Black Ops II free to play this weekend through Sunday for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii, and PC platforms. The free weekend will be a first for Treyarch and Activision to provide a no-cost promotion for gamers.

Those who want to purchase a downloadable copy, meanwhile, will get a 33 percent discount to $40, or $54 for the Digital Deluxe Edition.

Tried it out again. Dear god. I honestly don't know how people like this game. There is nothing redeeming about it to me.

I just picked it up for 30 bucks during Amazon's "Farewell to February" sale. Newegg also has it for 30 bucks today. The Amazon download even used Steamworks.

I think it's only the multiplayer that's free this weekend, according to my games list. In my mind if you've tried CoD multiplayer in the past, you know what you're getting.

I didn't realize that you can host a custom game with AI players. It will be a nice change to be able to play a game with the settings
I like and not need 8 humans to be able to play it.
Has anybody tried getting their friends to join a custom game? I'm curious if humans will replace the bots when they join.

loaded it up, and felt like I was playing MW2 again. Heck, I was playing on some of the old maps too. Not too mention my very first game as a level 1, everyone else was level 45+, and I still kicked ass (I think I was the top or right next to top player). These games are too easy lol.

The free weekend will be a first for Treyarch and Activision to provide a no-cost promotion for gamers.
Maybe for this COD, they've had plenty of free weekends for the previous CODs.

Maybe for this COD, they've had plenty of free weekends for the previous CODs.

This was my thoughts to. They do it alot really. TBH it is the only way they can sell it to some people. Over priced POS

The free weekend will be a first for Treyarch and Activision to provide a no-cost promotion for gamers.

MW2, Black Ops1 and MW3 multi-player had free weekends.

Sticking as much as possible to Nuketown 24/7 to avoid hackers and trolls.

The controls were too floaty for me. Turning to the left and right felt like I was drunk or something.

Or I could go play a real game . . . like Battlefield 3 :p.

The only difference between any of the gritty and grey modern combat FPSes (or "bro shooters") is the cover art. In the games themselves, they are all the same. Battlefield 3 = Black Ops 2 = Medal of Honor. Call of Honor: Modern Battlefield Ops.

I remember the last free to play weekend -- I fired it up and I seriously thought my resolution was on 800X600 -- double checked... nope 1920x1080p

Then I thought maybe the AA is messed up? Nope -- maxed.

It was like someone smeared crisco all over my screen - uninstalled after 5 minutes. Even when it's free I still have better things to do.

The only difference between any of the gritty and grey modern combat FPSes (or "bro shooters") is the cover art. In the games themselves, they are all the same. Battlefield 3 = Black Ops 2 = Medal of Honor. Call of Honor: Modern Battlefield Ops.

I completely agree, I'm so tired of this junk they're pushing down our throats these days. I'm so glad Path of Exile came along or I wouldn't have a single good game to play lately.

I tried it because I spent about 300 hours playing MW2. Didn't care for this installment at all...
Back to BF3 :)

There was a free weekend of MW2 (3?) some time ago on Steam. Was that Infinity Ward still?

I didn't realize that you can host a custom game with AI players. It will be a nice change to be able to play a game with the settings I like and not need 8 humans to be able to play it.

Is this something new in BO2 or do previous COD titles have it as well?

Being able to play against AI is something I like about Counter Strike titles.

It's amazing that this series still commands such a high purchase price this long after release. I don't think there are any games that "hold their value" as much as the COD series.

Maybe if they paid me to play it I might think about it. Oh that's right, I have standards. Almost forgot.

Why not offer a free weekend of the original Call of Duty and United Offensive? I would be all over that.

Did anyone else have problems with lag playing bo2 I got into about 3 good games out of 50 or some

There was a free weekend of MW2 (3?) some time ago on Steam. Was that Infinity Ward still?

Yup, there was a free weekend of MW3 back over the first weekend of May last year. Also it was developed by Infinity Ward. Yay for answering my own question!

I am sure they are doing out of the kindness of their hearts. :rolleyes: They are just fishing for more sales. No thanks. COD has been dead to me since COD4.

Back