Steam Library Beta Coming Sept 17th

I hate that Big Picture mode still uses grid images. If I take the time to create new box art and banners for things...then Big Picture looks janky. If I leave the grid-style images in place, then Big Picture looks awful. There's no way to make your library look decent. That doesn't even factor in the 1/3 of my library purchased through Steam where the developers simply never made new graphical assets.
It looks like an old Geocities website that's still around but hasn't been touched in a decade.

The idea behind the new interface I don't mind. If your whole library is nothing but new/currently popular Steam games, it looks and works fine. Yet that's not reality.

Yep it has never changed:
View attachment 196895 /s

They've updated it several times throughout the years though the last few years they've focused more on big picture mode.

oh god the nighmares of valve's launcher from 2003 are back.. why you do this to me?!?!?!

that being said he's not wrong.. other than some slight changes to buttons and store being tweaked over the years the layout hasn't really changed since 2007/2008. and i was one of the biggest critics about why they haven't bothered to change it or remove functions that haven't been used since they were added.. i regret it now but oh well.

I hate it. Every update breaks my custom skin. I firewalled the entire steam folder. Not interested in a facebook styled timeline telling me my friends got a shitty achievement for walking 50km in a friggin video game.

Not a fan of this new update. It's way too overly complicated. Why do I have to spend 5 minutes figuring out how to setup a filter that just shows games that are fucking installed.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the way it was. All of these updates just seem like idiotic 'streamer' features.

I hate that Big Picture mode still uses grid images. If I take the time to create new box art and banners for things...then Big Picture looks janky. If I leave the grid-style images in place, then Big Picture looks awful. There's no way to make your library look decent. That doesn't even factor in the 1/3 of my library purchased through Steam where the developers simply never made new graphical assets.
It looks like an old Geocities website that's still around but hasn't been touched in a decade.

The idea behind the new interface I don't mind. If your whole library is nothing but new/currently popular Steam games, it looks and works fine. Yet that's not reality.

Give us the option to go back to grid view for box art, volvo pls

https://store.steampowered.com/news/55839/

A new Steam client has been released and will be automatically downloaded.

General
  • Fixed library view failing to fully re-render when changing views for some users without GPU accelerated web views or on Windows 7
  • Fixed Steam causing Windows 10 volume slider overlay and capturing media keys
  • Fixed web rendering not pausing on Windows when Steam client is minimized or closed

Steam Library
  • Hidden achievements will no longer be shown on an game's activity feed if you have not already unlocked that achievement
  • Fixed dragging apps from the Library home page to the collections page
  • Improved performance for games with a large number of screenshots saved
  • Updated Post Game Summary to be dismissible
  • Put black bars over spoiler-tagged images in the activity feed and community.

macOS:
  • Fixed library intermittently not displaying due to Steam Helper crash
  • Fixed Steam usage of Chromium Safe Storage key if present in the user keychain

Steam Input
  • Fixed an issue when converting controller configurations to PS3 controllers from other controller types
  • Fixed a bug that could cause some configurations with action set layers to appear blank.

SteamVR:
  • Fixed chat window not displaying in Big Picture VR

Big Picture:
  • Fixed chat window not displaying with some UI scaling settings

I am not against it. Haven't had the time to play with it but I like the custom collections which are nothing more than filters. People with lots of games or multiple users (me and my wife have different games from different accounts on the HTPC Steam) should be happy. It's more functional than what had before, that's for sure

The desktop shortcut I have to force it into small mode works well enough that I don't have to think about the new interface.

I like that.

Overall not a fan of the update but most of the time I don't care because I am always in mini-games view (small view) mode. My biggest complaint is I can't stay in min-games view mode by default and I have to modify my startup parameters to do that. Then if I ever go to the larger mode I have to use an external shortcut to put it back into small view instead of just having to pick the small view mode in the view menu. If these get fixed then I wouldn't have such a negative reaction to the update because I really wouldn't have notice much of a change at all.

Not a fan of this new update. It's way too overly complicated. Why do I have to spend 5 minutes figuring out how to setup a filter that just shows games that are fucking installed.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the way it was. All of these updates just seem like idiotic 'streamer' features.
You can do it with a single button: that one with the play symbol next to the listbox. It took me all of 20 seconds to figure it out on my own. Hovering over this will say it shows "Ready to Play" games. I understand frustration at the change, but calm down and explore the interface like you would a brand new program. I still don't like it, myself. I've gone back to making desktop shortcuts because of it :eek:.
upload_2019-11-7_8-51-16.png

You can do it with a single button: that one with the play symbol next to the listbox. It took me all of 20 seconds to figure it out on my own. Hovering over this will say it shows "Ready to Play" games. I understand frustration at the change, but calm down and explore the interface like you would a brand new program. I still don't like it, myself. I've gone back to making desktop shortcuts because of it :eek:.
View attachment 198157

No, that's 'Ready to Play' - Including a bunch of crap I could stream from another machine.

Bah, I still hate it. They need to either do away with the Big Picture grid images or bring back Grid View as a desktop edition. There's no way to keep your library looking decent/consistent.

Steam is "officially" bringing back small mode. The option is readded to the menus and it's been updated to work with the library update. It is available in the current beta branch.

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta/announcements/detail/1600394952171527192

Other changes if you can't read the link:

Library

• Brought back Small Mode library view and updated to work with Steam Collections and the new Steam Library
  • Added a library setting to hide game icons in the Steam Library’s left column game list
  • Fixed download progress bar and status wrapping to a second line on game pages on smaller windows
  • Compressed game page links bar to one line on smaller Steam windows
  • Post-game summary, game review reminder and other dynamic content on game pages will now fill only one column on wider Steam windows
  • Fixed occasional crashes caused when uninstalling games
  • Fixed Steam client crash after exiting some AutoCloud-enabled games
  • Fixed a case where game icons would sometimes not properly be downloaded and used for the game's desktop shortcut when installing a game. For for previously installed games affected by the problem, validating game contents and recreating the shortcuts should fix the issue.
Windows
  • Removed auto-creation of Documents/Downloads directory.
Linux
  • Updated vaapi decoding to libva2 compatibility
  • Fixes to free disk space checks to address issues with some NFS mounts
  • Fixed Steam Input F12 binding

If they're bringing back Small mode, I'll hold out a little hope they might bring back the Grid, too. At the very least they should move Big Picture to the same view as the rest of the UI.

i'll give it a couple more weeks for them to iron out some more of the issues then try it again.

I must give Steam credit for putting up with the Steam Community. I wish their store would stop the Bloatware the success of good games depends on it. Way too many diversions on the store. Which basically writes the history of PC videogames. If they streamlined the selection games they would be more sucessfull. They kinda do that with the banner overhead or just make it like comic book language a splash page to give the game more attention.

Hooray for bringing back small mode. Hopefully they don't mess it up and try to make a bunch of changes to it.

Bring back list mode for the library with horizontal icons and I'll be happy. At least they're giving you the option to get rid of the small icons on the left side of the new detail/grid view or whatever they call the new only option for the game library.

I tells ya all what, now that I see my game library all big and spelled out I realize how many games I will never get around to playing.... Makes me want to give up on steam all together...

I tells ya all what, now that I see my game library all big and spelled out I realize how many games I will never get around to playing.... Makes me want to give up on steam all together...
I would bet most users Steam libraries are full of games that they'll never play. Even my GOG library is getting to the point where I don't have the time to play them all. But who doesn't like free / cheap games?

I think the new interface is OK, not too sure what all the fuss is about? Can we just bring back the days where Steam was the only launcher and do away with all the other bloated launchers polluting our PC's?

Ugh.

I just signed in to steam for the first time in a while.

My eyeballs are bleeding from all these annoying pictures. Lists are always superior to icons/tiles. I don't care what your application is. The fact that I can't switch from the tile view is really pissing me off.

That, and now there are steam store ads along the top of my library. Great. Just what I always wanted. More fucking obnoxious ads.

Looks like the only way to use Steam now without it being obnoxious is in "Small mode" :(

Ugh.

I just signed in to steam for the first time in a while.

My eyeballs are bleeding from all these annoying pictures. Lists are always superior to icons/tiles. I don't care what your application is. The fact that I can't switch from the tile view is really pissing me off.

That, and now there are steam store ads along the top of my library. Great. Just what I always wanted. More fucking obnoxious ads.

Looks like the only way to use Steam now without it being obnoxious is in "Small mode" :(

The new list along the left side is much better now that they fixed the kerning issues and allow you to disable the icons but they still need to let people disable that home page abomination they're forcing on everyone.

Dont like it. Anyway to get the original back?

Edit, found it

With the new Steam review system, where it prompts people to leave reviews for games through the Steam client library, most-all games on Steam (including ones universally panned and criticized by professional critics and gamers alike on all other review sites) have a 9+ / 10 rating for the previous 30 days, or otherwise have a 8+ / 10 rating. So, Steam reviews are broken and not reliable anymore.

With the new Steam review system, where it prompts people to leave reviews for games through the Steam client library, most-all games on Steam (including ones universally panned and criticized by professional critics and gamers alike on all other review sites) have a 9+ / 10 rating for the previous 30 days, or otherwise have a 8+ / 10 rating. So, Steam reviews are broken and not reliable anymore.

Why would people leave a higher review for games than they otherwise would have if reminded in their library?

The interface looks like a migration to mobile devices and/or console devices. Big Picture Mode. As well as controller friendly.

In other words, everything I hate.

Keep anything and everything mobile, console, livingroom and controller away from my PC please!

I want none of that shit.

Seriously, at this point, with all the mobile first design being shoved down our throats, PC usability is worse today than it was in the 90's. :mad:

It's not that. One of the goals for the Thanksgiving sale was to leave or update a review for one of the games you nominated for the Steam Awards.

It's not that. One of the goals for the Thanksgiving sale was to leave or update a review for one of the games you nominated for the Steam Awards.

The surge in positive reviews across Steam predates the Steam sale, beginning around October 27 - 29 and has remained constant until now.

Why would people leave a higher review for games than they otherwise would have if reminded in their library?

The new prompt appears only to people who keep playing a game, and if someone keeps playing a game it's likely because they like it. Someone who doesn't keep playing a game is less likely to leave a positive review for it.

It's like a person who keeps going back to a restaurant being more likely to leave a positive review than somebody who doesn't go back to a restaurant. The person who keeps going back probably does so because they like the restaurant's food and / or service.

If reviews are solicited only from people who keep coming back to a game, then it's going to create biased appearance of consensus. And that seems to be what's happening as most-all games on Steam are now on a trajectory to becomes 80%+ or 90%+ positively-reviewed.

Many games that had a longtime Mixed rating have been into a solid Mostly Positive rating in the previous month. Games that had an average review score of 55% or so often have a 90%+ review rating from the previous 30 days.

Here are some examples:

You can click-drag on the review graph lower down the page to see the sudden surge in review score since October 27.

DiRT 4:

5xU1oxz.jpg

Pathfinder: Kingmaker:

HOiDd05.jpg

The surge in positive reviews across Steam predates the Steam sale, beginning around October 27 - 29 and has remained constant until now.

The new prompt appears only to people who keep playing a game, and if someone keeps playing a game it's likely because they like it. Someone who doesn't keep playing a game is less likely to leave a positive review for it.

It's like a person who keeps going back to a restaurant being more likely to leave a positive review than somebody who doesn't go back to a restaurant. The person who keeps going back probably does so because they like the restaurant's food and / or service.

If reviews are solicited only from people who keep coming back to a game, then it's going to create biased appearance of consensus. And that seems to be what's happening as most-all games on Steam are now on a trajectory to becomes 80%+ or 90%+ positively-reviewed.

Many games that had a longtime Mixed rating have been into a solid Mostly Positive rating in the previous month. Games that had an average review score of 55% or so often have a 90%+ review rating from the previous 30 days.

Here are some examples:

You can click-drag on the review graph lower down the page to see the sudden surge in review score since October 27.

DiRT 4:

View attachment 203905

Pathfinder: Kingmaker:

View attachment 203904

Sales also cause a surge in reviews for games. DiRT 4, for example, had a free weekend and deep discount on October 27. Pathfinder: Kingmaker was also on sale the weekend of the 27th. Notice also that the highest surge in positive reviews in both your examples start when the Thanksgiving sale started.

Do you have the "anti-review bombing" option turned off in your store options? That will also affect and possibly skew the reviews you're seeing.

Ah, I missed that part. I didn't lrealize they were only showing them for recently played games, and not all titles.

That said I don't think I ever used a review from any source when deciding whether or not to buy a game. I rely on word of mouth and general knowledge based on the tech news.

Back