Steam Library Beta Coming Sept 17th

Still others are relying on a gimmick (GOG with its DRM free sales and NON-exclusivity...)
Which should be the most important thing to support, but the state of the industry today is exactly how gamers want it and deserve it to be. Micro transactional, overpromised pre-launch, broken launch, exclusive, non-owning shit.

Oh God. Looks like they are revamping it so they can put ads in front of you. Xbox Live did this 10 or so years ago. Now Steam is doing it. Lets see how the fanboys defend this move.

EGS, not looking so bad anymore eh?

Oh God. Looks like they are revamping it so they can put ads in front of you. Xbox Live did this 10 or so years ago. Now Steam is doing it. Lets see how the fanboys defend this move.

EGS, not looking so bad anymore eh?

Valve was always going to f things up, they are a do nothing corporation these days with marketers pretending they know how to code.

Just because that’s true doesn’t make other shitty systems better, it just means we all get to wallow in filth.

Valve was always going to f things up, they are a do nothing corporation these days with marketers pretending they know how to code.

Just because that’s true doesn’t make other shitty systems better, it just means we all get to wallow in filth.
It means use GOG for any games available on their site.

The problem is all this crap makes the program more bloated, in an age where you have several increasingly bloated launchers clogging up your system.
Yeah I mean ram is so expensive and scarce nowadays. That 32gb total or even 16gb is being filled to the brim by the 100 to 200mb of a launcher. You also must run them all 24/7. Ram is so pricey it is the most expensive part of a build! 32gb for $150 on Slickdeals typically makes it a burden.

Yeah I mean ram is so expensive and scarce nowadays. That 32gb total or even 16gb is being filled to the brim by the 100 to 200mb of a launcher. You also must run them all 24/7. Ram is so pricey it is the most expensive part of a build! 32gb for $150 on Slickdeals typically makes it a burden.

You can keep your system as junked up as you like, I like to run mine clean and slim. The rest is just projection Tiger.

100-200mb out of 32gb is small no matter how you slice it.

You really don’t understand, it’s more than just the ram, it’s the overlays, bugs, updates, password, and other ongoing management of every single launcher and their various systems.

Slice it anyway you want, it’s still opinion and not objective facts.

You really don’t understand, it’s more than just the ram, it’s the overlays, bugs, updates, password, and other ongoing management of every single launcher and their various systems.

Slice it anyway you want, it’s still opinion and not objective facts.
Check the box that says "stay logged in". Voila. And it shouldn't take any management unless you are bad at computer usage... Unless you're on Linux, in which case you need to move to Win10 for gaming and general usage as it is the better overall OS by far.

Check the box that says "stay logged in". Voila. And it shouldn't take any management unless you are bad at computer usage... Unless you're on Linux, in which case you need to move to Win10 for gaming and general usage as it is the better overall OS by far.

Edit: took out the quip.

It is opinion, mine is the right one for me and my life. Just because you like phone based UI’s with pictures and screen bloat on multiple platforms that you run 24/7 to keep up to date doesn’t mean I do.

I want simple, clean and ready to launch at the drop of a hat, I don’t like running a bunch of background crap I ain’t using at the moment, and my time is mine to spend how I want.

Last edited:
Reactions: xx0xx
like this

It is opinion, mine is the right one for me and my life. Just because you like phone based UI’s with pictures and screen bloat on multiple platforms that you run 24/7 to keep up to date doesn’t mean I do.

I want simple, clean and ready to launch at the drop of a hat, I don’t like running a bunch of background crap I ain’t using at the moment, and my time is mine to spend how I want.
I think you're misunderstanding me. I am saying that I can't view 1-200mb as bloat for a game launcher. I only use them to launch games, so unless there's a patch, I hardly see them.

I think you're misunderstanding me. I am saying that I can't view 1-200mb as bloat for a game launcher. I only use them to launch games, so unless there's a patch, I hardly see them.

Even at only 200mb, they scroll like crap, come with auto playing garbage, have to be updated, have to update the games on them, and every friend I play with has to also get said platform and more often than not grab a new user name because their steam one is taken.

So In a life that I must manage my small business, 10 office systems including all updates and security, staff (and more often than not their personal lives), my family (including 2 little girls), I don't want to be managing multiple crappily designed and implemented digital store fronts with all their individual management requirements also consuming my limited time. If you don't keep the games and storefronts updated now you have to sit through the update process which is anywhere from minutes to an hour depending on the size of patch and how long its been since that program has been used at a point in my life where 5 minutes of relaxation is an amazing boon. When I was in collage I would spend days trouble shooting systems for myself and friends, now I just don't have the time or frankly the desire.

Ultimately I just don't care for how the ecosystem is evolving, its getting worse not better and this UI change is worse, not better.

Even at only 200mb, they scroll like crap, come with auto playing garbage, have to be updated, have to update the games on them, and every friend I play with has to also get said platform and more often than not grab a new user name because their steam one is taken.

So In a life that I must manage my small business, 10 office systems including all updates and security, staff (and more often than not their personal lives), my family (including 2 little girls), I don't want to be managing multiple crappily designed and implemented digital store fronts with all their individual management requirements also consuming my limited time. If you don't keep the games and storefronts updated now you have to sit through the update process which is anywhere from minutes to an hour depending on the size of patch and how long its been since that program has been used at a point in my life where 5 minutes of relaxation is an amazing boon. When I was in collage I would spend days trouble shooting systems for myself and friends, now I just don't have the time or frankly the desire.

Ultimately I just don't care for how the ecosystem is evolving, its getting worse not better and this UI change is worse, not better.

Not to be pedantic about it or anything, but Steam in particular just runs in the background, and automatically updates games in the background when your PC is effectively idle. As far as updating the Steam client itself, it does actually ask you to restart the client to update it, so I will admit that it is not * entirely * automated.

By the same token, client updates are infrequent. I gave up a long time ago and just let it do it's thing. Unless someone is trying to bug the snot out of me via Steam chat, it's pretty unobtrusive.

GOG Galaxy is even more "invisible" as a background task. EA and Ubisoft can be a pain though - I only have these installed and running if I am actively playing a game that requires them (which is pretty rare).

Not to be pedantic about it or anything, but Steam in particular just runs in the background, and automatically updates games in the background when your PC is effectively idle. As far as updating the Steam client itself, it does actually ask you to restart the client to update it, so I will admit that it is not * entirely * automated.

By the same token, client updates are infrequent. I gave up a long time ago and just let it do it's thing. Unless someone is trying to bug the snot out of me via Steam chat, it's pretty unobtrusive.

GOG Galaxy is even more "invisible" as a background task. EA and Ubisoft can be a pain though - I only have these installed and running if I am actively playing a game that requires them (which is pretty rare).

It is ok to be pedantic, I am.

Oh now, for everyone whining about how it looks, just remember they are setting everything up for the coming launch of HL3-VR!

:D

Sweet. I'm going to give it a shot. I figure I can always revert if it breaks something. It's tough to tell if Grid View is even affected, so I might not even notice

I don't necessarily care that a launcher takes 200mb of RAM on my 16GB system. What I do care about is that, with all the resources these launchers use, they don't even make good use of them. They still feel slow and clunky and painful. Autoplaying BS everywhere. It's a sad state of affairs but one I've learned to live with. Just navigating the steam store feels painful in the client compared to an actual browser.

Just awaiting my Galaxy 2.0 invite and hoping that will make the mess of game launchers a little less painful overall

It's clear after those bunch of posts that your version of "bloat" really has little to do with system resources, which is clearly what GT was arguing about.

But regarding "ready to launch at the drop of a hat" wouldn't the services updating in the background be exactly what you're looking for? When I sit down and see that a game I directed the launcher to auto-update has, in fact, automatically updated it means I don't have to sit there and wait. I just use the various launchers to click "play game" and don't experience any bloat; the odd news link about the latest patch or promotion is not ruining my life.

Wait... does this beta not have a small mode?
I like it, its faster, has pertinent information.
I do NOT need steam taking up over half of one of my 4k monitors at its smallest though.

Reverting.

Last edited:
Does the new UI still show your steam signin name up top? Streamers are forced to use small mode or custom themes if they dont want 250,000 people trying to guess their password

OMG use a bucket and do not throw up on the cat you pussy.LOL

I just opened Steam ,the new stuff looks fine.

Are we quoting monty python meaning of life? :p

I also think the update is neat, just checked it myself. I would like some stuff rearranged though. I'd rather see the personal stuff (friends currently playing, my achievements, my screenshots) big and on the left hand side and the activity feed somewhere else. In this current iteration the activity feed is the primary bulk of the window space..

So, Grid View is straight up GONE.
Thumbnail images for your library are different (odd) sizes, too.

conceited-meme-gif-1.gif

Yes I was just fucking around ,I do like the Steam but not looked at it much yet,Hockey Team is playing first game,watching that.

I think it looks better, but I wish they'd put more effort into the rest of the client

Wait... does this beta not have a small mode?
I like it, its faster, has pertinent information.
I do NOT need steam taking up over half of one of my 4k monitors at its smallest though.

Reverting.
Small mode was the best part of Steam. I don't need a giant window with giant tiles for my games. I just want a simple text list that I can dock on the right hand side of my monitor.

Back