Steam is the devil ...

NightWolfe

Gawd
Seriously this has got to be the worst piece of software I've ever installed ...

what's happening is that whenever I try to DL CS:S or HL:2 preload the DL will go ok for a while and then suddenly my computer will just reboot .. this happens wether Steam is the only program running or if it's running in the background and I'm doing other things .. happens wether or not I have ZoneAlarm or Norton or AdAware running .. and I know it's a problem with Steam because I never had this happen before I installed it and it doesn't happen if Steam isn't running ...

I've tried reinstalling it for the 3rd time now and this is really starting to piss me off .. I'd be bitching about this on the Steam foums but I suppose I need to wait for them to activate my account before I can post there ...

and for the small bit of time that I actually had CS:S installed and running I was able to connect to 2 servers .. and they were both running dust .. I couldn't connect to any others .. if I tried .. the first time it just kicked me back to the server list .. the second time it crashed the game and gave me an error "Map version is 0, expecting 19!!!" or something similar to that .. and then the Memory error that seems to be affecting many others ...

if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears .. I'm just a bit pissed that I just paid $60 for a game I can't play .. and if I can't ever get it to work Valve won't refund my money because it's their policy if you bought online ...

sys specs are in the sig .. running WinXP Pro SP2 .. DX9c .. 61.77 Nvidia Drivers .. Norton AV .. ZoneAlarm .. AdAware .. APC Powerchute .. NetGear Router ...

don't think I'm leaving anything out .. any ideas/help is appreciated .. and please don't just respond with Steam is great and works fine .. it may for you but there are plenty that have problems with it .. constructive help is what I'm looking for ...

What make and model is your network card? Do you have any instability when doing other network intensive tasks?

Network card is onboard ...

and maybe you other two missed it when I said this ONLY happens when Steam is running and DLing .. it NEVER happens otherwise and NEVER happened before I installed Steam ...

and unless you can be constructive keep your stupid little fucking comments to yourself k ?

Sounds like a hardware problem to me. Try updating your network card drivers. I had problems joining BF1942 games using the onboard NIC on my Abit AI7 until I updated the drivers. It would connect but I would get kicked back to the server browser before the map ever loaded.

Also, are you overclocking any? Counter Strike Source is a pretty intensive program. Steam downloads a huge amount of data, so any instability on your motherboard could be causing the problem.

NightWolfe said:
Network card is onboard ...

and maybe you other two missed it when I said this ONLY happens when Steam is running and DLing .. it NEVER happens otherwise and NEVER happened before I installed Steam ...

and unless you can be constructive keep your stupid little fucking comments to yourself k ?
LOL. Personal attacks are against the rules, I believe.

Also, which is more likely: that steam is broken but just magically happens to work for everyone else; or that there is some problem on your end causing steam to not work. Google you up some 'occam's razor' and let me know :)

Also, update motherboard and network card drivers and make sure you have all Windows updates.

bipolar said:
Also, which is more likely: that steam is broken but just magically happens to work for everyone else; or that there is some problem on your end causing steam to not work.

Try looking on the Steam forums and whatnot and see how Steam isn't working for alot of other people .. and please explain to me how my comp is only rebooting itself when steam is running then ..

I find it really funny how so many people think that all software programs are written perfectly and it couldn't ever be bad coding or a problem with the program itself ...

as for OCing .. my chips aren't Xeon's can't be .. atleast the ones I have there were never any ocable boards available .. my VPU is .. but I highly doubt that's the issue ...

I'll see if there are any updates for my mobo but last I checked there wasn't ...

NightWolfe said:
Try looking on the Steam forums and whatnot and see how Steam isn't working for alot of other people .. and please explain to me how my comp is only rebooting itself when steam is running then ..

I find it really funny how so many people think that all software programs are written perfectly and it couldn't ever be bad coding or a problem with the program itself ...

Of course the minority who have problems are going to be far more vocal than the majority who don't. Go to Microsoft's support forums and you'll find people having problems with Notepad. Now, is it more likely that Notepad is coded very poorly but just "magically" works for 99% of people, or that they inadvertently changed a system or registry setting that made it unstable?

www.gamespy.com/stats -- check out how many people are playing Counterstrike. Why aren't they having problems with Steam?

If all else fails, I'd suggest a reformat and start fresh.

Incidentally, do you have any pirated software? Don't have to answer, but might ask yourself if software that has been cracked, edited, and reassembled might have contributed to your problems. If you reformat, leave off any pirated software (if you have any) and just install Steam to see if it works.

Have you tried reinstalling steam?

Also, if you're positive that it's a problem with steam then take a look at the forums at steampowered.com . If you still can't find a solution, try contacting valve.

My suggestions would be

Windows reboots itself due to overheating of the processor sometimes, Though frankly i don't imagine steam would overheat anything if your other actual games don't.

You can disable windows rebooting automatically after an error/crash (which is what sounds like is happening), google or check some winxp tweak/help site for how to disable this feature. You might also check windows logs etc for crash information. Sorry I don't recall how to do these things, but hope these tips help. (or at least narrow the situation down).

well I found out what it was .. Steam doesn't get along with StyleXP .. so disabling the StyleXP process fixed it .. and I still beleive this is Steams fault .. every other damn program on my comp works fine with it expect for Steam ...

Valve really needs to work on that damn program ...

NightWolfe said:
well I found out what it was .. Steam doesn't get along with StyleXP .. so disabling the StyleXP process fixed it .. and I still beleive this is Steams fault .. every other damn program on my comp works fine with it expect for Steam ...

Valve really needs to work on that damn program ...

haha you still blame steam. lets see your trying to tell me taht its steams fault. So i would be safe to assume everyone with style xp and steam has problems according to you? Or mabye not considering i have a friend who uses both perfectly.

I just find these type of threads funny. Instead of flaming a company why dont you post just asking for help? That would of been alittle bit more constructive than just saying steam sucks. And you would have gotten much better responses. But that is just my opinion.

JEEVES

problem = your computer

i have yet to run into one problem with Steam... EVER. I also just reformatted my computer yesterday and I already have all the gamecache files for HL2, CSS and everything dled... So quick and easy Steam is the best thing created.

-warsaw

JEEVES/whohasmyname? said:
I just find these type of threads funny. Instead of flaming a company why dont you post just asking for help? That would of been alittle bit more constructive than just saying steam sucks. And you would have gotten much better responses. But that is just my opinion.

JEEVES

Ok read my post .. I was asking for help .. and I also said I would have posted on the Steam forums .. but I couldn't because you have to wait for them to activate your forum account ...

I find it really funny that people jump into a post at the end and start making comments when they didn't even read the first post ...

and no the problem isn't my computer .. the problem is Steams inability to work with StyleXP .. it seems Valve is aware of this problem they just have yet to fix it ...

MODS .. Please lock this .. the problem is fixed and the issue is over .. no more discussion is needed here .. thanks

NightWolfe said:
Seriously this has got to be the worst piece of software I've ever installed ...

First of starting a thread with this is not the best way to ask for help. (believe me I do tech support and nothing makes me want to help the customer more than hearing how much our software sucks :rolleyes: )

NightWolfe said:
what's happening is that whenever I try to DL CS:S or HL:2 preload the DL will go ok for a while and then suddenly my computer will just reboot .. this happens wether Steam is the only program running or if it's running in the background and I'm doing other things .. happens wether or not I have ZoneAlarm or Norton or AdAware running .. and I know it's a problem with Steam because I never had this happen before I installed it and it doesn't happen if Steam isn't running ...

You are asking for help becuase you dont know, so dont pretend to know anything. Another bad way to get honest responses.

NightWolfe said:
I've tried reinstalling it for the 3rd time now and this is really starting to piss me off .. I'd be bitching about this on the Steam foums but I suppose I need to wait for them to activate my account before I can post there ...

This paragraph seems ok, could do with out the cusing as it makes you seem childish and unwilling to be open to sugestions.

NightWolfe said:
and for the small bit of time that I actually had CS:S installed and running I was able to connect to 2 servers .. and they were both running dust .. I couldn't connect to any others .. if I tried .. the first time it just kicked me back to the server list .. the second time it crashed the game and gave me an error "Map version is 0, expecting 19!!!" or something similar to that .. and then the Memory error that seems to be affecting many others ...

if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears .. I'm just a bit pissed that I just paid $60 for a game I can't play .. and if I can't ever get it to work Valve won't refund my money because it's their policy if you bought online ...

sys specs are in the sig .. running WinXP Pro SP2 .. DX9c .. 61.77 Nvidia Drivers .. Norton AV .. ZoneAlarm .. AdAware .. APC Powerchute .. NetGear Router ...

don't think I'm leaving anything out .. any ideas/help is appreciated .. and please don't just respond with Steam is great and works fine .. it may for you but there are plenty that have problems with it .. constructive help is what I'm looking for ...

NightWolfe said:
I find it really funny that people jump into a post at the end and start making comments when they didn't even read the first post ...

And as for this unneaded pathetic attempt at sarcasim, mabey you should take a few deep breaths before you pop. There is no need to get all defensive over the net. I was just mearly posting my opinion on the negative way you went about "asking for help". Mabey you should understand that others are more willing to help those that are less likely to scream and yell when you throw an idea out there. But once again that is just MHO.

JEEVES

edit. And if you want me to go on about your responses to some of these people let me know. I think that was 20x worse than your origonal post. God why do people feel the need to be assholes simply becuase they are on the net.

Back