Steam is not evil!

(S)lave

n00b
I don't no what all the fuss is about when it comes to Steam,
I Play on it with a 56k modem and I'm getting the best pings I have ever seen for my modem ever!
With a ping of about 250 I can actual play online now with out playing only to find out I died about 5sec ago.

I was able to download 330mb in just 6 hours, It usally takes me 45mins for just 10mb.

Don't get me wrong I have had some issues with it, but who hasn't had an issue with new software.

Give the guys and girls some credit on trying to make it easier for you to play your fav games.

So stop bitching and just play the damn thing.
If you think you could write better net code then go ahead
Who knows you might just fix something instead of kicking the shit
out of it hoping to get it working! :mad:

i like to stick my head in the dishwasher after its done and the hot steam feels nice on my face

Originally posted by doh-nut
i like to stick my head in the dishwasher after its done and the hot steam feels nice on my face
Does wonders for the ol' sinuses as well.

Originally posted by (S)lave

So stop bitching and just play the damn thing.
:mad:

The Problem is they won't let me play with my CD Key and they won't answer my E-Mails!

I like steam, after the initial troubles getting the full version (it resembled when I tried the open beta) everything has worked great. I frequently use the server browser, and friends list. I wish it gave notices when updates are needed though. Ex: "tommorow at 5 pm pst 900 kb update"

390mb??? The Steam i downloaded yesterday was 500kb. I hate it, I am on 56k and connect at 44kbs and my pings are 2000-4000.

Back when I played without steam and was connecting at only 26.4 i played fine, with muuuuuch lower pings...

Anyone know whats up?

Originally posted by Diablo2K
The Problem is they won't let me play with my CD Key and they won't answer my E-Mails!

Yeah I have tried with 5 keys that I have purchased. I am pissed.

Originally posted by hefley
390mb??? The Steam i downloaded yesterday was 500kb. I hate it, I am on 56k and connect at 44kbs and my pings are 2000-4000.

there are versions that include the counterstrike files already. I even think there is a full version that is over 700megs!

At first I really hated steam, but now they have really shaped up and I like it quite a bit though I still have issues with the friends network every oncce in a while.

You didn't download 330 megs in 6 hours, that's the cache file.

I don't know what Steam is like now since I'm permanently banned from Valve's servers, but back when it first came out, they made quite a few mistakes with it. Believing that their servers could handle the demand of 500,000 people simultaneously updating is typical Valve.

Originally posted by sc0tty8

Works fine with the CD key I got back with my origonal HL box in 98 :rolleyes:

steam has worked perfectly fine for a while now. sad people expected to be a perfect system on the first try.

Originally posted by HitMan-sC
You lie. Steam sucks. There, I said it.

steamupdateone.gif

I had to do it.

Originally posted by C0)3|24
At first I really hated steam, but now they have really shaped up and I like it quite a bit though I still have issues with the friends network every oncce in a while.

ditto

Originally posted by sc0tty8

My old keys work fine as well. I think that for most of the newer keys people have gone in the stores and opened the boxes and copied the keys:rolleyes: . One of my friends in my dorm went through 3 store bought copies (9 keys...) before he got a key that worked. They need to put that stuff they have on lotto tickets over the keys, like those HL2 coupons that come with newer radeon cards.

i agree, steam may be ok for some people, but i just did not like it. i wish they would give us the option to not use it.

Originally posted by doh-nut

Haha, when I read that I couldn't help but think of you there with your head sticking in the dishwasher. Then somone walks in and says "Wrong fucking appliance!! People normally use the oven to kill themselves."

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled off was convincing the world he didn't exist.

The greatest trick Valve ever pulled off was convincing people that steam works.

I do not like the Steam or the official steam message boards.

I am reg. on the boards, have been for months, but I am not allowed to post.
I have been verified and all that stuff, but I do not have premission to post on the message boards to find answer to issues.
I have to have others do it.

Steam can blow me.

Well, in December steam was screwy. Wouldn't let my cd-key from ATI HL2 coupon work, the card started giving artifacts so I returned it all anyways. I was extremely unimpressed.

I kinda like steam..

I like how now you can ALT + Tab out of the window and not have TFC / CS crash..

Originally posted by (S)lave
I was able to download 330mb in just 6 hours, It usally takes me 45mins for just 10mb.

56k modem = 7KB/sec
330MB = 337,920KB

337,920KB = 13hours
7KB/sec

Originally posted by TheGamerZ
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled off was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Man, this line had been bugging me for the longest time. I knew I heard it before.... The Usual Suspects, right?

Originally posted by DocFaustus
Man, this line had been bugging me for the longest time. I knew I heard it before.... The Usual Suspects, right?

oh thats right. i kept thinking it was from the movie seven cause i could hear kevin spaceys voice in my head

I don't think Steam is so bad. It is a good idea that needs to be improved over time. What I am concerned about is how games play through Steam. I got bored recently and fired up Opposing Forces and it was choppy and not really fun to play. When I first played it on a much weaker system by installing it from the disk, it was much better. My other problem, related to the first is this. If Steam is down, will I still be able to play HL2. While I was playing Opposing Forces, Steam went down and I could not load it. Then I could not play Opposing Forces because Steam did not load. Hmm.

Steam isn't all that great. Most of the time it won't let me log in, and I can hardly ever use friends. Quite dumb.

Well, its down as of now, and friends is up MAYBE 2 days of the week for me... STEAM just plain sucks, I wish all my friends still lived on 1.5 :(

Whats really retarded is all of the issues with creative labs cards and voice chat. You would think the issue would be fixed by now so I wouldn't have to use shitty intergrated audio. I also think steam crashes more than any other program on my computer.... espeacially while updating the damn thing.

I have no problem with Steam.

It works fine with my CD key from Half-Life (I bought the game when it FIRST came out) and with the CD key from the retail version of Counter-Strike I just purchased a couple of weeks ago.

Back