Steam is Learning about this Game

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
cageymaru pointed out this new feature on Steam. On this particular game, Protolife, if you look down below the "Single-player" and "Full controller support" categorie, you will see where it states, "Steam is learning about this game." If you hover over the question mark next to that you will get the popup shown below in the screenshot. It tells you that trading cards and other features are currently restricted in this title. This is due to the new rules to keep people from buying games to profit from Trading Cards and achievement hunting. This lasts until the game has reached a certain threshold of metrics.

A certain threshold of metrics=sales to become profitable to avoid people buying cheap selling cards and buying more.

A certain threshold of metrics=sales to become profitable to avoid people buying cheap selling cards and buying more.
Nah, that's now how the trading cards make money.

Crappy developer makes a crappy game, and either sells it for next to nothing or basically gives away tons of keys for the asset flip game. The bot farm people then run the game, get the free easy cards for simply running it, and then destroy the cards turning them into gems. Enough gems and you can get a pack of steam trading cards for whatever game you want... when some of those games are popular those cards can sell for well over $1 each.

wait a second?!?!?! are you telling me i can sell/trade the trading cards or whatever achievements I unlock on steam games?

Nah, that's now how the trading cards make money.

Crappy developer makes a crappy game, and either sells it for next to nothing or basically gives away tons of keys for the asset flip game. The bot farm people then run the game, get the free easy cards for simply running it, and then destroy the cards turning them into gems. Enough gems and you can get a pack of steam trading cards for whatever game you want... when some of those games are popular those cards can sell for well over $1 each.
Ehh I was close haha.

holy hell where is the market for this? I always wondered what the hell they were for
On steam marketplace itself. They have quite the system set up for it, that even shows a history of trade prices so you can get an idea of what a card might be worth.

Why do people care about virtual cards?
Complete card sets can make a badge for that game, that levels up your steam xp. also, creating the badge can unlock other artwork for your steam profile and chat emotes.

Back