Steam (International) down China wide, Steam China still working

Lakados

[H]F Junkie
It’s currently unclear if the outage is an outright ban or the result of a DNS attack.

Steam international is down in China but the China only version is currently working normally with the full catalog of ~100 games, all state approved.

China has been cracking down on gaming and all online gaming hard over the past few months so this move would fall in line with their previous moves towards the industry but Valve nor the CCP have made any definitive comments on the issue and there is a lot of conflicting reports floating around.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2021/12/25/22853520/steam-global-china-banned

https://www.thegamer.com/steam-banned-china-christmas-day/

Is just China being China getting ready to clone the entire store/app and call it "Seam" is not like they're known for anything besides stealing and cloning everyone without two fucks to give.

Last edited:
Is just China being China getting ready to clone the entire store/app and call "Seam" is not like they're known for anything besides stealing and cloning everyone without two fucks to give.
Well they tied online accounts to physical
iD’s removing online anonymity. Removed the ability for boys to play girl characters and girls from playing boy characters in MMO’s. And they have enforced restrictions making those under 18 from playing more than 3 hours of online play a day. While banning 1000’s of games and requiring all new games to pass a strict set of government regulations and requirements. Not sure they are stealing anything here I think they see online gaming as a serious social issue and they are taking a hard stance on it.

iD’s removing online anonymity. Removed the ability for boys to play girl characters and girls from playing boy characters in MMO’s. And they have enforced restrictions making those under 18 from playing more than 3 hours of online play a day. While banning 1000’s of games and requiring all new games to pass a strict set of government regulations and requirements. Not sure they are stealing anything here I think they see online gaming as a serious social issue and they are taking a hard stance on it.
That sounds almost like a praise.

I am starting to believe George Orwell was following in the foot steps of Nostradamus more so then Mark Twain. That is more a prophet then a writer of fiction.

It is perhaps time to read again a book I last read in the year of it's name, 1984. I can see how Animal Farm might well apply, I should pick up a copy of that one too.

I am starting to believe George Orwell was following in the foot steps of Nostradamus more so then Mark Twain. That is more a prophet then a writer of fiction.

It is perhaps time to read again a book I last read in the year of it's name, 1984. I can see how Animal Farm might well apply, I should pick up a copy of that one too.
It's about time you understood that some of us are more equal than others. :borg:

Not at all, it’s a terrible thing and an Orwellian example of government overreach.
But I guess sort of, it’s terrible but I am baffled and impressed by a government that is actually capable of doing something they say they will.

But I guess sort of, it’s terrible but I am baffled and impressed by a government that is actually capable of doing something they say they will.
I have had nothing but a bitter hatred towards China since 1989, but when I consider all of the various cancers that are destroying Western civilization I can't help but wonder if they are right.

I have had nothing but a bitter hatred towards China since 1989, but when I consider all of the various cancers that are destroying Western civilization I can't help but wonder if they are right.
I can’t say I hate them, they are what we made them. Canada and the US have spent trillions over there influencing every aspect of what the country has become. We may regret the monster it has become but we can’t escape our responsibility for helping to create it.

Imagine you’re about to hit a save point and the government shuts the game down so that you have to spend the next day’s gaming allowance doing everything all over again.

Imagine you’re about to hit a save point and the government shuts the game down so that you have to spend the next day’s gaming allowance doing everything all over again.
*weeps in power outage*

All joking aside when I was young and the PS1 was new, I rented a PS1 and FF7 but they didn't have any save cartridges so I saved up rented the system and game for a long weekend only for the power to go out during the Sephiroth fight after grinding to level 80 something ...
The joys of living in rural northern Canada.

*weeps in power outage*

All joking aside when I was young and the PS1 was new, I rented a PS1 and FF7 but they didn't have any save cartridges so I saved up rented the system and game for a long weekend only for the power to go out during the Sephiroth fight after grinding to level 80 something ...
That's your own damn fault for not having a memory save dohicky.

Afraid I have some bad news sweetie, Epic is 40% Chinese owned
Yeah, epic's main stakeholder is the company that crated the facial recognition software for china's orweilian dreams.

I'm waiting for China to come out later this year with "Steem", the Totally (And no way connected to) original answer to Valve's platform. o_O
1640625754643.png

If that's exactly what they are doing then they may deserve it. Video Games are undoubtedly causing social issues with youth. Not that I generally approve heavy handed government regulations for day to day stuff

If that's exactly what they are doing then they may deserve it. Video Games are undoubtedly causing social issues with youth. Not that I generally approve heavy handed government regulations for day to day stuff
Social media (Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, et al) are doing more harm to youths than video games could ever dream of.

LOL, video games have been around for 40 years, and they were blamed for all kinds of things. None of it were true of course. China's social issues are entirely self made by their previous policies.

LOL, video games have been around for 40 years, and they were blamed for all kinds of things. None of it were true of course. China's social issues are entirely self made by their previous policies.
No it is a bit different in countries like Korea and China. They have lots of kids trying so hard to get into the pro circuit that they fail out of school and do nothing but play all day.

I think you'll find issues from 40 years ago too. But it's certainly gotten worse. Kids should be playing in mud and trying to build forts with sticks, not spending 5+ hours a day on devices.

He said they didn't have any.
I know what he said, my statement still stands. You don't go skydiving if they're out of parachutes do you? You don't rent a video game that you end up spending days grinding, apparently for the sake of grinding, when your master plan to not deal with saving is to just leave the Playstation on until you're finished playing.

Social media (Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, et al) are doing more harm to youths than video games could ever dream of.
And of course using the same counter argument that was used with video games, "there are plenty of people use social media who aren't being harmed" (it's just less)

One of the first things you do in war is cut off the enemies ability to communicate, by enemy I mean Chinese citizens.

I do like some of China's social policies. When things rubberband back in that direction in Western society, I'm not going to complain.

Reactions: travm
like this
I think you'll find issues from 40 years ago too. But it's certainly gotten worse. Kids should be playing in mud and trying to build forts with sticks, not spending 5+ hours a day on devices.
Just because we didn't have anything but used tyres and sticks to play with doesn't mean that helped us in any way.

And of course using the same counter argument that was used with video games, "there are plenty of people use social media who aren't being harmed" (it's just less)
Because the "We as kids didn't have any of those things, therefore they shouldn't either!" argument is so great.

Just because we didn't have anything but used tyres and sticks to play with doesn't mean that helped us in any way.
Unless it does. Let's raise a generation of anti social children who can't solve problems for themselves, rather depend on the entire experience to be provided to them by others.
Just because some children can handle technology addiction better than others doesn't mean it's not harmful. Limits are good.

Unless it does. Let's raise a generation of anti social children who can't solve problems for themselves, rather depend on the entire experience to be provided to them by others.
Just because some children can handle technology addiction better than others doesn't mean it's not harmful. Limits are good.

That is every kid with a Cellphone.

*weeps in power outage*

I call shens that you made it to lvl 80, to Final Seph, without a save cart, in a long weekend. That would mean that you didn't die once basically after leaving the first reactor, and I'm not buying it. Cool story though.

Back