Steam In-Home Streaming Now Available To Everyone

Wow, I thought this place was supposed to be [H]. New technology is good, or so I thought. It probably takes a bit of tweaking to get things working well. I'd have hated to see this place in the late 80s or early 90s.

"Did you try moving the jumper on your com port card? It's probably interfering with your sound card, causing things to crash when both things try to use the same IRQ..."

[hehehehe]

Cool feature but defenetelly not for FPS games because of lag.

I have i3 HTPC and I streamed Sanctum to it. Looks great but lag feels about 0.5 second that makes it not possible to play.

I think lag is due to I use wireless mouse, wireless keyboard, maximum image settings on my TV (that also introduce lag). I guess for games where fast reaction is not very important thios is a perfect feature :)

Cool feature but defenetelly not for FPS games because of lag.

I have i3 HTPC and I streamed Sanctum to it. Looks great but lag feels about 0.5 second that makes it not possible to play.

I think lag is due to I use wireless mouse, wireless keyboard, maximum image settings on my TV (that also introduce lag). I guess for games where fast reaction is not very important thios is a perfect feature :)

Was that a wireless, or wired LAN connection? In any case you can enable the performance overlay feature to see where exactly the latency is and then make adjustments accordingly. For me the input latency is practically nonexistent - its like .18ms or something. Most of my latency is the TV, but still perfectly playable and feels very responsive. Nowhere near "0.5 seconds"

Was that a wireless, or wired LAN connection? In any case you can enable the performance overlay feature to see where exactly the latency is and then make adjustments accordingly. For me the input latency is practically nonexistent - its like .18ms or something. Most of my latency is the TV, but still perfectly playable and feels very responsive. Nowhere near "0.5 seconds"

Connection was wired. Actually, I am very sensitive to input lag. May be that counts :) I cannot play FPS on my big TV even if I attach my main gaming PC directly to the TV due to the lag.

Connection was wired. Actually, I am very sensitive to input lag. May be that counts :) I cannot play FPS on my big TV even if I attach my main gaming PC directly to the TV due to the lag.

Does your tv have a 'game mode'? Try that

I'm normally really sensitive to it too (to the point where I don't use vsync because of it) and can play most fps's just fine via IHS. A controller helps minimize it too

As DPI said, try using the overlay to see where the lag is.

I can play borderlands just fine, streamed to my laptop, with a keyboard and mouse

This worked well for me on my Pentium 4. Low cpu usage and I didn't notice any lag playing gta 4 on max settings. The quality was not as good but I didn't try any resolution tuning or anything.

Does your tv have a 'game mode'? Try that

I'm normally really sensitive to it too (to the point where I don't use vsync because of it) and can play most fps's just fine via IHS. A controller helps minimize it too

As DPI said, try using the overlay to see where the lag is.

I can play borderlands just fine, streamed to my laptop, with a keyboard and mouse

My TV is an top end 55 inch LG TV with full led backlighting from 2012 I think. IQ is gorgeous with maximum Image Quality but it introduces quite a bit of lag due to image post processing. If I switch to game mode it is much faster and less lag but image is meh :) I better play on my PC screen then.

I bought Witcher 2 and Fallout yesterday to test if I can play those with lag using Steam streaming because those , I think, do not require a fast reaction.

Interesting idea, but I cant seem to get the latency low enough to make anything playable.

For testing purpose, this is the setup I'm trying:
- Streaming from my desktop to my laptop over gigabit ethernet.
- Both both machines are connected to the same gigabit switch.
- Hardware accelerated encoding/decoding on both ends.
- Stream is running at a solid 60 FPS with no warnings.

Latency is still terrible. I can't imagine playing a first person shooter of any kind... and this is in an ideal scenario. When I tried over wifi the stream kept freezing and the delay was so bad I couldn't even exit the game I was trying to stream. I had to walk over to my desktop and kill it to get out.

Interesting idea, but I cant seem to get the latency low enough to make anything playable.

For testing purpose, this is the setup I'm trying:
- Streaming from my desktop to my laptop over gigabit ethernet.
- Both both machines are connected to the same gigabit switch.
- Hardware accelerated encoding/decoding on both ends.
- Stream is running at a solid 60 FPS with no warnings.

Latency is still terrible. I can't imagine playing a first person shooter of any kind... and this is in an ideal scenario. When I tried over wifi the stream kept freezing and the delay was so bad I couldn't even exit the game I was trying to stream. I had to walk over to my desktop and kill it to get out.

Turn on the performance overlay in the In-Home Streaming options, and use it to help isolate where the latency is occurring.

Turn on the performance overlay in the In-Home Streaming options, and use it to help isolate where the latency is occurring.
Already mentioned that I did that. Last bullet-point in the list...

Overlay reports streaming is happening at a solid 60 FPS, with no warnings about bandwidth or encoding/decoding. Even so, the latency is terrible...

I received an update for both linux and windows clients sunday morning which fixed my issues. Works better than expected. More than enough for Civilization games.

I received an update for both linux and windows clients sunday morning which fixed my issues. Works better than expected. More than enough for Civilization games.

Yep, I think streaming is good for slow , non action games. May be some adventure games, point and click games. I cannot imagine playing FPS or Driving games with this due to input lag.

Anyone tried l4d2 on this?

I have a radeon 6870 + 4570 for my desktop rig & a celeron 2955U chromebook with Linux as the client). Wireless will be 802.11n which i can consistently pull 50-60Mb/s from.

Worth dorking around with it?

I tinkered with this shortly in efforts to swap my gaming PC back to the office (where I believe it belongs) and my slim C2D into the living room for streaming Steam.

The C2D machine is an E8400, 4GB, 120GB SSD, GT240 running Win7.

I tested both Skyrim at 1920x1080 and Crysis 2 at 1920x1080. While Skyrim was playable with a noticeable reduction in graphics quality (fuzzy, reduced resolution until resolved), Crysis was unplayable at that resolution. Lots of tearing and lag.

I definitely see the potential here and believe with a little tweaking I can get this working nicely. I'm totally okay with reduced resolutions/eye candy in the living room, but would prefer to have my gaming PC in the office running un-compromised.

Very cool feature, no doubt.

Anyone tried l4d2 on this?
Yes, the input lag will hurt you pretty badly.

By the end of a campaign, L4D2 usually reports my accuracy at around 60%. I managed to make it through a campaign over in-home streaming, but the input lag was so bad that Expert mode simply wasn't possible anymore. Accuracy had dropped to 8%.

It's just too much delay to compensate for, even when all you're facing is L4D2's horribly predictable AI.

Did the same last week. I tested it at two different places streaming from a Windows pc to a Linux computer running Mint. The wired one worked great and the wireless AC was decent but the host machine needed a bit more tweaking as the GPU was causing the encoding to slow down. (We think, it was displaying a warning)

It's certainly a great solution for having a HTPC setup where your gaming pc is in another room. Rather than having to move it to the TV you can just stream to anything you have laying around. One of the nice parts too is that since you don't need to have the game installed on the remote computer you don't have to worry about storage space issues. If I only have say a small 64GB SSD in the HTPC I don't have to worry about 20GB game installs taking up all of the space.

Damn that actually works pretty well. Just finished a few hours of COH2 and it worked pretty seamless. Streamed to a old hp lappy over WiFi.

yea i've had this work pretty well, though i tend to stay away from the fps type games due to latency.

Back