Steam Holiday Sale 2017

Anyone have experience with the Steam Link\Controller? That sale price looks crazy good...

good to see Steam change up their usual sales pattern of 33% then 50% etc...with the current Winter sale a lot more games started out with the 50% discount...

I picked up CIV 5, probably will only play it once a year but at $13CAD for everything it was hard to pass up. Also picked up Insurgency for $1.64 which seems a bit redundant as I already have Squad (which I hopefully will start playing more), but it was hard to pass up Insurgency at that price.

Still on the fence for Rainbow 6 Siege but I will probably get it.

It’s you, because you have everything you want, and now there is nothing you want.

Well there is that and the fact that prices are higher than they used to be. A lot of games that were $5 a 4-5 years ago have been around $7.50 these past 4-6 sales. The days of the best selling AAA games dropping to $5 within a year are long gone.

We are at the point where I don't even look at steam sales, that boat has sailed for valve. With the death of flash sales and daily deals, there is nothing to get excited about. You get 50% off from a few titles, but that still puts them north of $20, which is not enough to get me spending on games that I wasn't that excited about in the first place.

Very much agreed. Never got in on one of those big publisher deals, but remember those? Where you'd get about 8-20 games from a publishers entire Steam collection? And all the games were around 90% off. Yeah a lot of them were very old or duds, but it often worked out to be cheaper while getting some freebies.

Even those Steam card things are almost pointless. At least you used to get 20-30 cents each. Now you get 5 cents day one.

Last edited:
I basically never benefitted from flash sales because my work hours, and the sales that do get them are always not my cup of tea.

Right now though, I have a new Switch and 3DS competing for my wallet right now, so I am going to not buy much from Steam this time.

Finally had a chance to get some games that were my wishlist and are as follows:

Grim Dawn
Guild of Dungeoneering
Impact Winter
Hard West
The Long Dark
Beat Cop
Banner Saga 2
Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing

Picked up XCOM 2: War of the Chosen, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (hopefully its better than HR, I found HR disappointing). Already played War of the Chosen all day and most of yesterday evening, totally worth it if you like XCOM.

I picked up an interesting game called Superflight.

Procedurally generated worlds you have to fly as close as possible to walls and through openings in the landscape as you glide around in a wing suit. It's such a simple concept and yet I kept trying to do stuff like go through tiny caves in the terrain that barely fit you. Still it's a $1.49 so totally worth it IMHO. It's kind of relaxing to play and yet very addicting (just one more try type game).

War of the Overlord
Total War: Warhammer 1 with some DLCs, so I can play the big campaign on combined old and new world map (there is free DLC, that makes that happen)

Anyone have experience with the Steam Link\Controller? That sale price looks crazy good...

IMO the Steam Controller is a steaming pile of garbage. The button and stick placements are horrible, programming it is a pain, and it's generally clunky since nearly everything is designed for the Xbox Controller anway. I bought one and desperately tried to use it for a week before bailing and eventually selling it to a friend. Save your $ and get an Xbox or PS4 controller/adapter instead.
Steam Link is only $5 by itself, but it's a worthwhile purchase. Some newer Samsung TV's actually have it built in, so you might check your set to see if you even need it.

The Steam controller is awesome for a remote to use netflix and stuff though. That is all mine is used for.

Procedurally generated worlds you have to fly as close as possible to walls and through openings in the landscape as you glide around in a wing suit. It's such a simple concept and yet I kept trying to do stuff like go through tiny caves in the terrain that barely fit you. Still it's a $1.49 so totally worth it IMHO. It's kind of relaxing to play and yet very addicting (just one more try type game).

$1.50 well spent

No idea what to get. Everything is either expensive or uninteresting. BL2 seasons pass costs more than BL2 + Seasons pass (no cheaper upgrade option for older owners? thanks!). Not sure I want to pay $10 for a seasons pass on a 3+ year old game. The Pre-Sequel is still $20 or so without DLC (lol) and I thought BL2 was very underwhelming, so I'll pass on that. Elite Dangerous looks tempting but the addon bumps up the price and I'm not sure if I can stomach a heavy grind type of game. X Rebirth looks interesting but not sure if I can get into that. R6 Siege looks far too spammy and looks to cater to the 12 year old crowd. IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad looks nice but I know I probably will play it for an hour and never touch it again; I don't like WWII planes.

Can't seem to find anything I will actually play, at least at an actual sale price.

I wait for the big AAA games to hit I have about 14 games on my Steam wish list like Agony, Scorn, Darksiders III Pillars of Eternity 2 the latest COD game if that looks worth it next year how long will they keep making them? Everything I want I just cant get it's not out because it's not out yet.

How is Dawn of War 2 when playing the campaign in co-op with a friend? Trying to find a new co-op game but really haven't found anything of interest. Is it like Starcraft 2 co-op where you each control a separate army, or something different?

How is Dawn of War 2 when playing the campaign in co-op with a friend? Trying to find a new co-op game but really haven't found anything of interest. Is it like Starcraft 2 co-op where you each control a separate army, or something different?

It has been awhile since I played it, but I seem to recall it was an enjoyable co-op experience. Dawn of War 2 has a nice "few units, somewhat intelligent" RTS style which I found very enjoyable as opposed to Starcraft-like "Huge amounts of dumb troops that need constant micro" play. Co-Op play was one of its highlights and for the low price especially today, I'd pick up the entire DoW2 series if interested.

Thanks for the info about DoW2. I am considering just going for all of the DOW games so I have a ton of RTS games to play. How does the original hold up nowadays? Does it run ok on Windows 10 and at 1440p resolution? I know older games are hit or miss so want to make sure.

Thanks for the info about DoW2. I am considering just going for all of the DOW games so I have a ton of RTS games to play. How does the original hold up nowadays? Does it run ok on Windows 10 and at 1440p resolution? I know older games are hit or miss so want to make sure.

Wish I could tell you - it has been so long since I've played the original DoW so the details are somewhat fuzzy about which is which. I know some preferred the original DoW to DoW2 and it has a slightly different playstyle. I THINK that DoW didn't have a full co-op campaign, only multiplayer PVP. Not sure of its compatibility, but it wasn't that long ago really (ie Windows 7 or greater era) so it should be not too bad.; can't say of resolution support. Oh and be sure if you're buying DoW/DoW2 you're getting Steam compliant versions, if you get keys from elsewhere - back in the day some of these were on GamesForWindowsLIVE which was a pain.

For DoW, I'd get the Master Collection which gives you all the expansions including the original. Just remember that the original DoW "Game of the Year Edition" does NOT mean all the expansions included, but the DoW MasterCollection (which is like $12) will! . For DoW2, it has 3 components, DoW2, DoW2 Chaos Rising (which is kind aof an expansion pack with new campaign) and then DoW2 Retribution. Retribution is pretty much "DoW2.5" with a new campaigns for each race and other modes of play with persistent advancement. Retribution also has a TON of small, inexpensive DLC which give new items, special skins (ie space marine chapters) or in some cases new commanders/units/factions. You can buy the "DoW2: Master Collection" which gives you DoW2 + Chaos Rising + Retribution, but none of the Retribution DLC its around $18 now on sale which is still a good price for all those games. The "Grand Master Collection" gives you all of the above plus all of the Retribution DLC, and is currently on sale for $27; not a bad deal at all, but I'd decide if you like the game first of all for it to really be worthwhile. Or of course if you want everything all at once, there is a "DoW Franchise Pack" which gives All of the DoW + All of the DoW2 stuff above and is currently on sale for $47.

Hope this helps a bit!

Wish I could tell you - it has been so long since I've played the original DoW so the details are somewhat fuzzy about which is which. I know some preferred the original DoW to DoW2 and it has a slightly different playstyle. I THINK that DoW didn't have a full co-op campaign, only multiplayer PVP. Not sure of its compatibility, but it wasn't that long ago really (ie Windows 7 or greater era) so it should be not too bad.; can't say of resolution support. Oh and be sure if you're buying DoW/DoW2 you're getting Steam compliant versions, if you get keys from elsewhere - back in the day some of these were on GamesForWindowsLIVE which was a pain.

For DoW, I'd get the Master Collection which gives you all the expansions including the original. Just remember that the original DoW "Game of the Year Edition" does NOT mean all the expansions included, but the DoW MasterCollection (which is like $12) will! . For DoW2, it has 3 components, DoW2, DoW2 Chaos Rising (which is kind aof an expansion pack with new campaign) and then DoW2 Retribution. Retribution is pretty much "DoW2.5" with a new campaigns for each race and other modes of play with persistent advancement. Retribution also has a TON of small, inexpensive DLC which give new items, special skins (ie space marine chapters) or in some cases new commanders/units/factions. You can buy the "DoW2: Master Collection" which gives you DoW2 + Chaos Rising + Retribution, but none of the Retribution DLC its around $18 now on sale which is still a good price for all those games. The "Grand Master Collection" gives you all of the above plus all of the Retribution DLC, and is currently on sale for $27; not a bad deal at all, but I'd decide if you like the game first of all for it to really be worthwhile. Or of course if you want everything all at once, there is a "DoW Franchise Pack" which gives All of the DoW + All of the DoW2 stuff above and is currently on sale for $47.

Hope this helps a bit!

Thanks for the info

Grabbed it, thanks!

Redout is finally cheap still haven't tried it tribute to old Sony Wipeout games.

Ever since they got rid of the Daily and Flash sales, deals have been in the toilet. Now you can pretty much only expect 50%+ off on stuff that is a year or two old.

I want Rainbow Six but worried I won't like it since I tried it once before. Actually want Quake Champions but couldn't find a game worth a damn.

I added the Rainbow Six Siege Starter Edition and Hellblade today. Unless I can think of anything else I missed, I should be done.

I ended up getting the Surge, which is essentially "Sci-Fi Dark Souls" from the Lords of the Fallen team. I started it up (just to make sure it runs) but I probably won't actually play it for a couple months. I figured $20 was a price they're unlikely to drop any time soon.

I ended up getting the Surge, which is essentially "Sci-Fi Dark Souls" from the Lords of the Fallen team. I started it up (just to make sure it runs) but I probably won't actually play it for a couple months. I figured $20 was a price they're unlikely to drop any time soon.
I was thinking of getting it as well but ended up passing. I'll probably get it next time it's on sale. I still have too many games lined up to play right now anyways.

I passed up everything almost picked up Hellblade I picked up Quake Champions but couldn't find a game so I got a refund.
Wanted Rainblow six but it looks like a corner camper game.

I picked up Just Cause 3 and Mad Max as the sale was ending, 2 games I missed in 2015 because I was busy playing Witcher 3 and Metal Gear Solid V.

I also added last minute - Black The Fall and They Are Billions. I managed to clear out my steam wish list and its now empty. I'm quite proud of myself.

I ended up getting nothing. Oh well, I may as well put the money towards something I know I will play. Probably Ace Combat 7 or Insurgency Sandstorm when those comes out. Actually wanted to try Elite Dangerous but forgot to purchase it. This the base game was $10 without the planetary stuff.

I bought way more than I planned to, mainly because I wanted some newer games rather than waiting for my usual $10-15 price point. I ended up getting:

R6 Siege Standard/Vegas Bundle
Hitman Bundle
BlazBlue Bundle
SF4 Ultra

Back