Steam Holiday Auction and Steam Winter Sale

Any predictions? Mine will be...
  • Duke Nukem Forever won't be featured as a sale product.
  • Skyrim: Legendary Edition will be a featured early deal, and will once again be one of the top sellers.
  • Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel will be featured at $30, and people will complain it is still overpriced for a "glorified DLC".
  • Someone will complain that they still haven't played the games that they purchased from the summer sale... of 2012!
  • Aliens: Colonial Marines will be on sale for 90% off, and people will say it still is too much.
Anyone else?

Last edited:
  • Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel will be featured at $30, and people will complain it is still overpriced for a "glorified DLC".
  • Someone will complain that they still haven't played the games that they purchased from the summer sale... of 2012!

True on both counts. Will buy Pre-Sequel for $7.50, can wait for the price to drop to that.
Backlog is enormous, would be better to not actually buy sale games at all because odds are that they will never be played beyond the first 10-15 minutes.

All I know is this auction thing is going to crash the Steam market for cards, and I'm gladly contributing. Just doubled my money from $3 in my wallet to $7 thanks to crafting booster packs and selling them to leftover bids.

Unfortunately everyone seems to have caught on now.

*EDIT* And the auction is suspended because of gem duping. Damn, not sure what's going to happen now.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/2p1u6q/steam_auction_gem_duping/

Last edited:
Thought the auction thing was stupid, and I guess I was right.

Agreed. With the amount of gems that would have been required to get anything, you'd be better off just selling all your extra junk for change and buying whatever game you wanted to bid on.

Agreed. With the amount of gems that would have been required to get anything, you'd be better off just selling all your extra junk for change and buying whatever game you wanted to bid on.

Actually you were better off crafting booster packs and selling the packs or cards. People were easily tripling their wallet with that method. I made $4 before I headed to bed doing exactly that.

That was a better option to buy the games than save up gems.

I started wondering why a bunch of my useless crap was selling on the steam marktplace all of a sudden.

I started selling cards for money, then turning around and buying sacks of 1,000 gems for 3 cents. I knew something was out of wack, why recycle a card worth 10 cents for 20 gems, when I could sell it and buy 3,000 gems and still have money left over?

Actually you were better off crafting booster packs and selling the packs or cards. People were easily tripling their wallet with that method. I made $4 before I headed to bed doing exactly that.

That was a better option to buy the games than save up gems.

I am unable to create booster packs with gems as of this morning, anyone else?

• Skyrim: Legendary Edition will be a featured early deal, and will once again be one of the top sellers.
  • Aliens: Colonial Marines will be on sale for 90% off, and people will say it still is too much.
Anyone else?

L4D and Killing Floor won't be on sale
Tomb Raider won't be either
Neither will BioShock or Batman Arkham whatever
Tropico will have a price increase

I just bought the Metro 2033 / last light redux combo @ 66% off, it will go to 75%

I bought both metro redux versions for 15 dolla before they took it down, aside from that I have stuff on my wish list but I cant buy anything if there isn't a sale.

Anyone else?

L4D and Killing Floor won't be on sale
Tomb Raider won't be either
Neither will BioShock or Batman Arkham whatever
Tropico will have a price increase

I just bought the Metro 2033 / last light redux combo @ 66% off, it will go to 75%
  • All games in Call of Duty franchise will be offered for 25% off and be considered a great deal by Activision, while #4 in the series still retails for $30 after nearly 8 years.
    • At the same time, none of the DLC or Season Passes will be discounted.
  • The LEGO franchise will go on sale again with the exception of the Star Wars entries.
  • Alan Wake bundle will be a primary and flash seller multiple times offered for 90% off.
  • A lot of people will purchase classic games and then bitch on the forums that they won't work in Windows 8.

This right here grinds my gears:

None of the DLC or Season passes for games will be discounted. So youre stuck with a base game or pay full price for all DLC/Season passes if you want a complete game!

Divinity: Original Sin's 33% off DAILY DEAL was a joke last month. I hope this time it will be 50-66% off.

am looking to buy Outlast for super cheap...Shadow of Mordor if it gets to 50% off...and the Metro Redux bundle if it gets to 75% off

Glad I stopped by this thread. I've always ignored all that card crap but tossed it all up for sale this morning and made a few bucks so far.

How long does the Holiday sale go to this year cause I got Steam Cards for X-mas =)

I guess it goes to the 2nd of January Yeah!! Maybe I can pick up Divinity Original Sin finally without being let down.

Not to try and derail this thread but can you give a game in your Steam library to someone else?

I bought Alan Wake last year at this time on a Steam sale and have never even loaded it.

I'd like to give it to someone who wants it if I could legally.:D

Not to try and derail this thread but can you give a game in your Steam library to someone else?

I bought Alan Wake last year at this time on a Steam sale and have never even loaded it.

I'd like to give it to someone who wants it if I could legally.:D

Only if its a gifted copy sitting in your inventory. In the future (when possible) get anything you buy as a gifted copy so that you can trade/sell it later if/when you change your mind about wanting it. The humble bundles used to be a treasure trove of trading material, but they have changed the way they distribute keys so that its harder to trade/sell titles in the bundles.

I have about $150 to spend and 25 games on my Wishlist. Hoping to get Shadows of Mordor and Lords of the Fallen for $19.99 to $24.99

I hope none of you here crafted gems and spent real money to get stuff on the auction at full price because thats retarded with the whole steam sale around the corner. The sale starts tomorrow and I cant wait for all those topics popping up when the sale starts of people complaining that they feel ripped of because the game they spend heaps of gems and money on to win is now 75% down in price for the rest of us to buy!

I got 6 Holiday cards :p You can get them now for completing card sets without buying anything.

I hope none of you here crafted gems and spent real money to get stuff on the auction at full price because thats retarded with the whole steam sale around the corner. The sale starts tomorrow and I cant wait for all those topics popping up when the sale starts of people complaining that they feel ripped of because the game they spend heaps of gems and money on to win is now 75% down in price for the rest of us to buy!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who realized this. I was going to bid on some older games and realized that for the amount of gems that I would need (at $1.00 per 1000gems) it would just be cheaper to get the game on sale. I just crafted the things I didn't want and got some game that has never been on sale for lower than $4.99 for 802 gems so I could get the badge.

I guess anyone who doesn't care about their steam level would just craft everything and get the games for free regardless but it would probably just make more sense to craft everything, sell the gems for $1 per thousand, and buy the games when they go on sale for cheaper.

The day after Gems were introduced they were l.ike .61 cents for sack of 1,000 but they went up in price so I thought I could get a bunch of emoticons for cheap then when I went to cash them in they only gave me 20 gems per emoticon. I guess some give more gems then others.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who realized this. I was going to bid on some older games and realized that for the amount of gems that I would need (at $1.00 per 1000gems) it would just be cheaper to get the game on sale. I just crafted the things I didn't want and got some game that has never been on sale for lower than $4.99 for 802 gems so I could get the badge.

I guess anyone who doesn't care about their steam level would just craft everything and get the games for free regardless but it would probably just make more sense to craft everything, sell the gems for $1 per thousand, and buy the games when they go on sale for cheaper.

Whole thing is a farce. Recycling items gives a laughable amount of gems, forcing you to buy them on the marketplace. Any game I want costs almost the same in gems as it would if I just bought the thing for cash. And of course, there's the exploit early on which pretty much screwed the gem 'economy' to begin with.

This event was a stupid, useless waste of time and money (should have just sold the stuff I recycled). Next time, just start the damned winter sale early.

And I'm deployed and missing out on this awesomeness of the winter sale. So got my wife keeping an eye on my wish list. Pissed I'm missing Christmas and the Steam sale.

The game I find most fascinating that never goes on sale is Silent Hill Homecoming. Like it or not, every other game in the world gets discounted, but not that one. It's not a fan favorite and you'd think they try to get anything from it.

Picked up Dark Souls II I have it on PS3 but never tried any of the DLC

I guess the Holiday Sale doesn't have Teams like the Last summer sale =(

Is Kerbal likely to be one of the flash sales or is the 25% off going to be the lowest it goes?

Back