steam helps pirates ? lol

Emret

Limp Gawd
well.. I always thought that valve letting any steam user to pre-load the game is stupid... They should've only let people that pre-ordered the game from steam to pre-load the game..

It's very possible that hackers will make a patch for pre-loaded game content and it will lead to massive amount of steam bandwitdh abuse, since people wouldnt need to use their usual pirating methots, be it bittorrent or irc but they'd just download the game off steam and unlock it themselves

Anyways.. I wanted to make a different thread from the rest, but I still say what they say

this game RAWRKKSSRS

unless you already preloaded it and dint' buy it, then you woudln't be able to do that, as now you have to buy it before you can load any content.

Isn't Steam pretty much the same thing as Bittorrent anyways?

You can't preload anymore ? I guess that's a good move on valves part heh..

I think steam supposed to work like bit torrent, I heard that they even hired the guy who created bit torrent.. but I dont know how true is that or they went on witht hat plan, since it doesnt work like bit torrent at all... You just downlaod the content, no uploads on our end...

ameoba said:
Isn't Steam pretty much the same thing as Bittorrent anyways?

Not at all. Do some reasearch about what Bittorrent is.

Its been on the Supr for days ...

The trouble with this theory, is that each copy is encrypted, and then verified against the main server at valve. Probably encrypted on a per account basis, needing a hash to decode and authorize the play. So any hack would have to figure out what this code is, based on your Steam account, and then intercept the calls back to the home server.

Now, a stand alone copy that needs only to be authenticated would be easier to hack. The flip side of this, is that it is 6 full CD's of material that would take at least an hour and a half with a 5Gb line. Many people have good d/l's, but crap u/l speeds. At 1Gb, look at 5 times longer, but that would need to be gathered from 8 or so 128kb sources all by itself.

So, I guess if you wanted to, you could start the d/l when you go to bed, and it might be done when you get up. I was looking for a show that I missed (part 1 of 2, it had to do with some aliens, wormholes, living space ships, etc, on a channel that gave up on it). It was 300MBs, roughly just half a CD, and it took all night, even with dozens of sources.

Another thing, this game so far (playing until 3:30 AM PST) is well worth the price. Well made games get bought. I don't think Valve or VU are going to be loosing much sleep over the piracy issue when they see the numbers come in. I wonder if it will eclipse Halo 2 (I think it should easily)?

Keith

theNoid said:
Not at all. Do some reasearch about what Bittorrent is.

Its been on the Supr for days ...
It's been on supr since source was released way back when, I'm sure pirates will find a way around it but I doubt it will be done in a day. I'll also bet that the average lazy kazaa pirate won't get hl2 since if anything Steam will just make pirating more confusing.

Are you kidding me? They made it hard enough for legit copies of the game to run. The pirates will have an even worse time with it. :D

hopefully a No-steam patch comes down the line some time. (much like a no-cd crack)

Not for people that steal, but people that like things simple. (lots of people are having problems even playing single player becuase of steam :mad: )

Steam isn't going to stop pirates, especially in single player games. The crackers only have to buy it, activate it, then distribute the content like they do any other game.

Sir-Fragalot said:
Are you kidding me? They made it hard enough for legit copies of the game to run. The pirates will have an even worse time with it. :D

Sorry to burst your bubble. Its out, and patched... working :eek: :eek:

pirates are always ahead of the game.. remember that. Assuming otherwise would be a mistake :confused:

lol.. i stumbled across some shit that proved my theory

You can still load the game content and play the game without a valid purchase and WITHOUT any patches/cracks.... pirates should thank steam for making it so easy !

Back