Steam Hardware Survey updated with GPUs

Still amazes me anyone bothers with the steam hardware survey as it's really not that accurate at looking at the market share. Good for showing trends but thats about it.

Gotta be some arm gpus, mobile or nuc. Could also be some really old sis/via chips or 3dfx, etc mixed in from people's old game boxen.

Or just failure to identify. Running in a VM without access to the real GPU to ID it? A screwed up computer running a bottom of the barrel MS generic VGA driver?

Still amazes me anyone bothers with the steam hardware survey as it's really not that accurate at looking at the market share. Good for showing trends but thats about it.

Is it not accurate for what it claims to be: the hardware that the steam users are running?

Is it not accurate for what it claims to be: the hardware that the steam users are running?

Problem is how often they actually poll and who. Pull mostly Chinese internet cafes and you skew the results. If they pulled the data often it might be more useful but in all the years I have been on steam it's only asked me twice and I have upgraded my machine since the last poll quite a bit. It just doesn't pull data often enough to draw a solid conclusion is all I am saying.

It would be an interesting idea if Valve announced ahead of time for a survey period. It would be so easy to skew the results though that I don't even think it would happen.

I have only been prompted for the survey on my laptop.

It would be an interesting idea if Valve announced ahead of time for a survey period. It would be so easy to skew the results though that I don't even think it would happen.

I have only been prompted for the survey on my laptop.

I've only been asked once since day one.
And I pretty much only play thru steam.

A

New month, new data.

From Oculus, their hardware data as of May 31th, from the last 28 days.
GPU: 92.4% Nvidia, 7.6% AMD
CPU: 88.6% Intel, 11.4% AMD

May:
CPU:
Intel 83.7% (-0.41%)
AMD 16.3% (+0.37%)

GPU:
Nvidia 74.5%
AMD 15.2%
Intel 10.1%

Its been a whole year since this post. Lets see how stuff stacks this time....

From Oculus, their hardware data as of June 21, from the last 28 days.
GPU: 92.2% Nvidia, 7.8% AMD (+0.2%)
CPU: 84.0% Intel, 16% AMD (+4.6%)

May:
CPU:
Intel 81.8% (-1.9%)
AMD 18.2% (+1.9%)

GPU:
Nvidia 75.0% (+0.5%)
AMD 14.8% (-0.4%)
Intel 9.9% (-0.2%)

See ya all another year later.

Back