Steam hardware is (No longer) on sale **EXPIRED**

Picked up the Steam Link last Black Friday for the same price... and more during xmas for gifts. The unit has a lot of potential, but be prepared to spend a lot of time tweaking the settings so it is playable.

Some of my favorite Steam Link games:
Mortal Kombat XL
Injustice
Sonic All-Stars racing
Metal Gear Rising Revengeance

I love the steam link. Me & my 5-yo play the lego games for hours using the x360 controller. No issues at all..

Bought a second one because I liked the first one so much. Especially love the 5.1 audio support (PCM 6 Ch, not Dolby/DTS) I'm not any good at Rocket League, but I love how it sounds in my surround system.

amazon has steam link for 20 bucks as well with Prime. If you guys wanna get free two day shipping. I wanted one for a while, for 20 bucks it will be a nice little gadget.

Yeah, Amazon is a far better deal...$8 shipping through Steam for me. :(

Bought a second one because I liked the first one so much. Especially love the 5.1 audio support (PCM 6 Ch, not Dolby/DTS) I'm not any good at Rocket League, but I love how it sounds in my surround system.
Can it do bitstream?

Its great for a variety of things, including just streaming your desktop, something it seems to do better then the Chromecast.

Can it do bitstream?

No. only 6-channel PCM. If your AVR doesn't support 6 channel PCM via HDMI- you're out of luck.

Requirements for 5.1 audio on TV
The Steam Client and Steam Link output 6 channel PCM audio when configured for 5.1 surround sound audio. When connected to a TV, the TV or audio receiver need to support 6 channel PCM. Please refer to your device's user manual to check if your device supports this format. It is usually required to use an HDMI cable to connect to your Steam Link, instead of an optical cable, to enable PCM support.

picked up a steam link from amazon. the packaging is impressive. Now any recommendations on what steam game to play with

picked up a steam link from amazon. the packaging is impressive. Now any recommendations on what steam game to play with

I've been playing GTA4, Mortal Kombat X, NBA 2k16, Lego Star Wars Force Awakens, and a few schmup's without any problems.

I even use it to stream Star Citizen to my 65" tv to show off the PU to friends and family and I can get it to work with emulators and EA titles (mostly for story mode).

Anything that you'd normally play on a console with a controller is my general rule of thumb....

I put my second Steam Link on my bedroom TV and got it working with wifi instead of ethernet, which was a surprise. (it's a lot closer to the router than the big TV downstairs)

Steam Link is just basically a wifi Big Picture Mode right?

Technically, it's an In-Home Streaming device that can be Wi-Fi or wired. Big Picture Mode is just a UI option, which can be used locally as well.

Gotcha.

I already have my rigged hooked up to my TV as my secondary display.

So this would've been a waste of money for me anyways....

I got mine and compared to In-Home Streaming to my HTPC - didn't really see a difference. But my HTPC is a decent machine (X4 965, 8 GB, GTX 970) so maybe if yours is lower-end it might make sense to get the Steam Link. Plus, it's wireless and only $20.

I got mine and compared to In-Home Streaming to my HTPC - didn't really see a difference. But my HTPC is a decent machine (X4 965, 8 GB, GTX 970) so maybe if yours is lower-end it might make sense to get the Steam Link. Plus, it's wireless and only $20.

Steam IHS client can run on almost anything as long as there's hardware accelerated h.264 decoding. I've run IHS on a WinBook tablet (2GB RAM, Intel Baytrail-T 1.33 Ghz, and Intel HD graphics Gen7 ) connected to an external 1080p monitor. It's hard to get lower than that,

Until you look at the Steam Link:
it's a smartphone-like ARMv7 processor with dedicated h.264 video decoding circuitry, running a custom Linux kernel and a Valve-developed software stack.

Back