Steam Halloween Sale 2011

Bioshock 2 is on my list as one of the worst games every made. It's boring as sin. Broken as fuck. Don't even get me started on the gfwl crap. The story must have been written by george lucas.

Let me clue you in. Bioshock 2 was not developed by the same company that did bioshock 1.

The publisher just grabbed some random clean up studio and pointed at bioshock saying "Make more of that".

Buying Bioshock 2 is the equivalent of renting an ewok movie because you liked return of the jedi.

The Graphics were shittier than the first game. Game plays like the first game but really generically. There's literally nothing interesting or fun. It's very routine. I found myself struggling to finish the game despite extreme boredom and eyesore. Instead of actually having a plot it's just got this run of the mill generic bad guy storyline that completely contradicts the first game's plot.

Seriously please do not buy this game. Buy a fucking hotdog or something you won't finish it and you will regret even spending $5 on it.

awwww shit. wish I had read your post before buying it. :p
Oh well, it wont be the first or last time I buy a shit game and play it for an hour or two.

The story is bland in Bioshock 2, but the gameplay itself is actually a good improvement over the first game.

That's really the only redeeming thing I found about Bioshock 2.

The story is absolute shit.

Silent Hill Homecoming is a horrible game. Some have had some issues with the game running but back on my dual core with two 3870 the game ran fine. I found the game to be pretty good. Not really as scary as the past titles but good enough for a play through or two.

Thinking of buying Amnesia.
its a horrible game but you found it be pretty good? lol, what?

anyway I enjoyed the game very much despite the three or four crashes. it also had this weird little pause a few times that always made me think it was going to crash.

Bioshock 2 is on my list as one of the worst games every made. It's boring as sin. Broken as fuck. Don't even get me started on the gfwl crap. The story must have been written by george lucas.

Let me clue you in. Bioshock 2 was not developed by the same company that did bioshock 1.

The publisher just grabbed some random clean up studio and pointed at bioshock saying "Make more of that".

Buying Bioshock 2 is the equivalent of renting an ewok movie because you liked return of the jedi.

The Graphics were shittier than the first game. Game plays like the first game but really generically. There's literally nothing interesting or fun. It's very routine. I found myself struggling to finish the game despite extreme boredom and eyesore. Instead of actually having a plot it's just got this run of the mill generic bad guy storyline that completely contradicts the first game's plot.

Seriously please do not buy this game. Buy a fucking hotdog or something you won't finish it and you will regret even spending $5 on it.
Bioshock 2 was certainly a let down compared to the first game, but its worth $5 and nowhere close to the worst game of all time. I had no bug issues when I played through it shortly after its release. Its graphics are near identical to Bioshock 1 and the story isn't nearly as good, but its worth a play through to see the new characters and more of Rapture. Its not a game that has much for re-playability, but its worth a single playthrough if you enjoyed the first game.

Borderlands GOTY
1. TechIsCool
2. compudocs
3. auspexd
4. grendel19

Alright got 4 thanks everyone

I was all excited to play Bioshock 2, loved the first one, but haven't been able to play the second one because:

1. First GFWL kicked me in the sack. Hadn't played a title before that required this piece of shit, and didn't know about the offline profile till later Googling, so I skipped installing it thinking I just wouldn't do any online stuff and then started playing, not knowing I couldn't save anything.

2. Once I saw I couldn't save anything since I hadn't installed the seemingly optional GFWL crap, I had to restart the game, first setting up a GFWL profile. Of course, not wanting to give them my real information I didn't populate a real birthdate when I registered on their site, locking me in some "child" mode loop that I beat my head on with 2 different email addresses trying to get straightened out, since they apparently won't let you change the birthdate, at least not that I saw, and wanted me to give them a credit card number to verify my age so I could grant my first profile access to games. Sigh.

3. Finally got the profile working but then the downloading of the online GFWL profile for the game flat out wouldn't work and errored out every time, saying it had to update before launching the game, but then throwing an exception when it tried to update. Finally after Googling around I saw you could create an offline profile. Birds started to sing, angels got their wings, my hulk rage subsided a bit and I thought I was good after I did that.

4. However, once I finally got the stupid game to launch with the offline GFWL profile so I could actually save, it crashed about 20 minutes in and now it won't even launch the game exe at all anymore. I saw someone say you could try deleting your save files once this glitch happens and maybe the game will load again, but I haven't tried that yet and am frankly turned off by the possibility of my save potentially being corrupted like this at any possible moment, possibly leading to having to restart the stupid game again.

So, after a couple hours of dicking with GFWL, crashes, restarts and finally the game failing to launch at all I said fuck it and haven't been back to it since. I haven't had this much trouble launching a game since the DOS days when we had to dick with different boot disks/interrupts etc to make the game run.

Really hoping the new Batman doesn't make me want to chuck my monitor out the window like Bioshock 2 does, since it apparently uses GFWL as well. I want to find whoever came up with GFWL and beat the living %(*#% out of them, or better yet, force them to set it up on my computer.

so what games on the sale are worth getting other than the main ones discussed (bioshock, borderlands, amnesia, vampire, l4d, terreria, dead space, stalker)?

so what games on the sale are worth getting other than the main ones discussed (bioshock, borderlands, amnesia, vampire, l4d, terreria, dead space, stalker)?

I grabbed the Fear collection, as that is supposed to be a pretty good value (haven't played any of them before).

Also had been interested in trying Ghostbusters (first one), and it's only $2.49, so grabbed that.

Cthulhu Saves The World looked fun and got decent reviews if you like some quirky/nostalgia-inducing old-school gaming for $2.

I grabbed the Fear collection, as that is supposed to be a pretty good value (haven't played any of them before).

Also had been interested in trying Ghostbusters (first one), and it's only $2.49, so grabbed that.

Cthulhu Saves The World looked fun and got decent reviews if you like some quirky/nostalgia-inducing old-school gaming for $2.
Ghostbusters starts off a bit slow but is pretty fun. the game is pretty demanding in spots with all the settings cranked and is one of the most cpu intensive games made. it easily made my E8500 at 3.8 chug down to 15-25 fps in spots with lots of physics.

and I hope you have a 360 controller because it plays way smoother and easier on that then the kb/m.

*snip*Bioshock crashing POS shit

OK so basically heres the deal. The version that steam installs doesn't match up with the version that gfwl requires to launch so you have to go install and update gfwl which will invalidate your steam install so the game will crash.

EVENTUALLY I figured out you have to install the game. Then install Gwfl BUT refuse the update. so you're playing Bioshock 2 version 1.0 but that was the only way I could get the game mostly stable.

OK so basically heres the deal. The version that steam installs doesn't match up with the version that gfwl requires to launch so you have to go install and update gfwl which will invalidate your steam install so the game will crash.

EVENTUALLY I figured out you have to install the game. Then install Gwfl BUT refuse the update. so you're playing Bioshock 2 version 1.0 but that was the only way I could get the game mostly stable.

this is a good example of why its perfectly reasonable to hate gfwl. i already have one DRM that i CHOSE, now they FORCE us to use another on top of it? gfwl can diaf. i will never install that shit again. in other news, already have all the fear games except 3, and am waiting for it to drop more. might grab cthulhu and penumbra. anyone play the zombie shooter games, RIP, bunch of heroes, or the sherlock holmes games?

this is a good example of why its perfectly reasonable to hate gfwl. i already have one DRM that i CHOSE, now they FORCE us to use another on top of it? gfwl can diaf. i will never install that shit again. in other news, already have all the fear games except 3, and am waiting for it to drop more. might grab cthulhu and penumbra. anyone play the zombie shooter games, RIP, bunch of heroes, or the sherlock holmes games?

Damn didn't see cthulu gotta go check that out. Btw if you like amnesia penumbra is the same game only harder. Lot more brain teasing.

Edit* nvm thought you meant call of cthulu.

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is one of the best deals in this Halloween sale.

I should also grab the other STALKER games, I have SoC, but not the others.

Don't forget the fan patch for the former, and the fan mod for the latter. Good stuff.

$*^% Steam, right in it's stupid bank account raping arse. Why is Steam so good at stealing my money :(.

its a horrible game but you found it be pretty good? lol, what?

anyway I enjoyed the game very much despite the three or four crashes. it also had this weird little pause a few times that always made me think it was going to crash.

Sometimes my mind just shuts off and doesn't feel like proof reading. :D To clarify I enjoyed the game. It is an OK buy but I think I have seen it go cheaper than what they are asking for and considering the age of the game $13+ might be too high of a gamble for some. I bought it at full price $49.99 and feel it was worth my money.

The story is bland in Bioshock 2, but the gameplay itself is actually a good improvement over the first game.

That's really the only redeeming thing I found about Bioshock 2.

The story is absolute shit.

Absolute shit?
huh. I rather enjoyed it.

You can't go wrong with the Hexen ish feel of PainKiller and for $5 for the entire collection I highly recommend it.

Sometimes my mind just shuts off and doesn't feel like proof reading. :D To clarify I enjoyed the game. It is an OK buy but I think I have seen it go cheaper than what they are asking for and considering the age of the game $13+ might be too high of a gamble for some. I bought it at full price $49.99 and feel it was worth my money.
yeah I paid $9.99 for it during the Steam xmas sale in 2009. for that price it was a good game and my days of paying more than 30 bucks for any game are over.

so no one has any opinions on the sherlock holmes games or bunch of heroes?

Amazon is also having a Halloween games sale.
Dead Island Digital download (or hard copy) is $29.99. Some other games on sale, but I think steam beats most of them. Steamworks game.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
yeah, I would like to know about the Sherlock Holmes game(s) as well...

I did happen to find this http://pc.ign.com/articles/994/994266p1.html

I don't play adventure games, but the wife is hooked on them. She's played several of the Holmes' games and the Jack the Ripper one is her favorite of the series. From some of the scenes she showed me while going through, it looked decent, atmospheric, and creepy.

According to her, the other one on this sale "The Awakened" is also worth playing if you like this genre.

So there's my 3rd party recommendation for the day. Me personally, I've have most of the others discussed here, but couldn't resist trying Amnesia with the lights out. Disturbing stuff :D

Absolute shit?
huh. I rather enjoyed it.

If you like shitty stories, then I guess you would enjoy it :p

The storyline had little to do with the original and didn't really go anywhere, there was no real plot, it was just a bunch of lines that felt phoned in, instead of being fleshed out.

DO NOT BUY. The game is an absolute waste of time and money.

any basis for this claim? i got about 30 hours from it. thought it was pretty solid. some pro's some con's. But not totally a waste of time. probaly enough for a 2nd play through

Kind of sux at the moment. Been without power since about 2pm on sat. woot!!! awesome halloween, i wanted to pick up a few titles and cant now hah. even cell service is down here. and my work has steampowered.com blocked :( . black friday will probaly have these on sale again :)

Is FEAR 3 worth is for $30? I'm tempted to jump on it but I'm not sure if that's a good deal....

Dead Island was pretty buggy at launch, but I rather enjoyed it so far.

Is FEAR 3 worth is for $30? I'm tempted to jump on it but I'm not sure if that's a good deal....

It was good, a hell of a lot better than Fear 2...that being said, is it worth $30?....meh....$20 maybe, if it were me I would hold out for another sale down the road

It was good, a hell of a lot better than Fear 2...that being said, is it worth $30?....meh....$20 maybe, if it were me I would hold out for another sale down the road

2 coming up real soon, keep in mind....Thanksgiving and Christmas/New Years.
I don't see any reason not to wait on the high dollar games now unless it's something you have to have this instant (like say BF3 or soon MW3).

Throw everything else out the window, damn near everything should be on sale in another month's time and then probably even more sales a month from that.
I just hope MW2 and Black Ops finally get respectable cuts unlike what they have had so far. :rolleyes: $20 for MW2 come on now, it should be $10 by now.

From what I've read of the thread, I saw no mention of the Ghostbusters game! for $2.49 its well worth the few hours it takes to play through it. The voice acting is done by all of the original actors and the creative rights for the franchise are obviously still in the hands of Harold Ramis and Dan Aykroyd (Egon and Ray, respectively). I very much enjoyed it being a fan of the movies (and even the cartoon as a child)

i was going to get the dead space pack but i read it has some really crappy drm and the pc versions dont have any achievements. so seems like a half-assed port of the console games. which is a shame b/c i really liked dead space on ps3

i was going to get the dead space pack but i read it has some really crappy drm and the pc versions dont have any achievements. so seems like a half-assed port of the console games. which is a shame b/c i really liked dead space on ps3

Steam being a DRM aside, SecuROM is only present on the retail copies of Dead Space; the Steam and Impulse versions do not include it. It's a shame to 'deprive' yourself from good games just because of achievements.

Back