Steam Greenlight Gets Death Sentence

HardOCP News

[H] News
Gabe Newell, speaking at Valve‘s Steam Dev Days conference, announced that Steam Greenlight will ‘go away,’ though no time frame was given.

Valve president Gabe Newell told the assembled crowd of developers that they want to get rid of Greenlight. “Our goal is to make Greenlight go away,” said Newell. “Not because it’s not useful, but because we’re evolving.”

As someone who mainly browses directly from the forum, I think this is the first time, and I am glad for it, that the news link goes directly to the source. Thank you.

As for the actual news, now if only they could make the early access thing go away...

Hopefully this quiets the people thinking there'll be Steam exclusives. It'll be up to the developers to decide that, not Valve and Valve won't force exclusives.

Another nice thing: Third party developers can make Steam controllers. Hopefully avoid Logitech brands, haven't had much or any luck with them due to poor quality gamepads.

As someone who mainly browses directly from the forum, I think this is the first time, and I am glad for it, that the news link goes directly to the source. Thank you.

This can't be said loud enough, this is very much appreciated.
I got scared that Greenlight might get removed with nothing to replace it. Glad that's not the case! Lots of great games have gotten through, with even more that didn't make the cut that should have. Good to see things will get easier for all dev's.

Greenlight will fade away as the blocks between development and publishing on Steam are removed.

Sounds like it's just going to merge directly into Steam somehow. More like an app store every day.

I never understood the purpose of this thing.

As for the actual news, now if only they could make the early access thing go away...

amen

while i think greenlight is a good idea, it also dumps so much indie garbage on steam. i don't even bother to actively search for interesting games because there's way too much crap to search through.

I heard about this a couple months ago from a guy who heard it from a bird etc etc

I think it's great, green light put a lot of burden on small developers, and really small developers really didn't stand much of a chance unless they got lucky

lol almost every response is about the direct link.

I can understand the reasoning here on Valves part tbh though.

I hope they actually replace Greenlight with something better ... I would like to see Valve create a gaming funding portal (like Kickstarter) ... they could actually be very competitive there since with the current KS model both KS and Amazon (their payment processor) get a cut of the KS funds ... with Valve they can do both themselves (which should reduce the cut slightly) ... since a lot of the digital games are coming out in Steam anyway this could reduce a lot of maintenance for the game developer

but guys, hardocp needs the hits for the ad revenue. i don't mind clicking an extra link.

I never understood the purpose of this thing.

When greenlight first started I believe they did it that way because adding games to the Steam database required man-hours on Valve's part to get it added to Steam. So to save them time they only would add games that the community voted.

My guess is that they've streamlined this process and now Greenlight is irrelevant.

I would much rather games like Sim City and BF4 go away. Games that promise a game ready for release and then give you a buggy turd for $60 is a much bigger issue than a game charging $10-20 to get in early and help beta test it.

Same here. I hate following extra links for no reason.

Bloated and added tons of garbage to Steam.

One man's garbage is another man's treasure ... I don't have any problems with Steam expanding its library ... they do need to improve their search capabilities though ... you should be able to filter search options down to categories or game types that you like ... but I sometimes like niche titles and it is good to have access to them via Steam ;)

One man's garbage is another man's treasure ... I don't have any problems with Steam expanding its library ... they do need to improve their search capabilities though ... you should be able to filter search options down to categories or game types that you like ... but I sometimes like niche titles and it is good to have access to them via Steam ;)

Don't get me wrong, I was extremely excited when greenlight first started. But it seems most of the released games are full of bugs/issues and don't include an ounce of the features which were promised.

Don't get me wrong, I was extremely excited when greenlight first started. But it seems most of the released games are full of bugs/issues and don't include an ounce of the features which were promised.

That is definitely a valid concern ... If they want to really service the gamer better then Steam should improve their review capabilities, including reviews of developers and not just individual titles ... they should also make it as easy as possible to patch titles or support user patches

Ooook, I got a little mad at first, but thankfully I decided to read the whole article and was happy to see Gabe hadn't just lost his mind and was shunning all those many cool Greenlight contributors, but rather wants to get rid of it as a sort of barrier of entry? Well, hopefully whatever more streamlined whatever they put in it's place is indeed better for those people than Greenlight was (which I will even admit had some bloat to it, I found it hard to keep track of greenlit games I discovered as per them going onto steam and being buyable). In fact, I think to this day I have a rather dusty long list of "favorites" and "watched" greenlight items, things that don't make it to a wishlist when they get on steam officially.

Hmmm I wonder if I should transcribe that list of games I either hearted or tracked for future reference if they will be dumping greenlight...

10char

Gabe talked about this at length in a Q&A talk he made at a university a year ago (find it on Youtube).

Basically iirc he said Valve's plan in the future was for Greenlight to go away and make Steam a distribution platform where developers could upload their games and let the community make the cream rise to the top.

He thought there was too much barrier to entry currently, and seeing the overwhelming success of Steam's community-created market he hoped in the future Steam would be a more open platform.

Back