steam games crashing after upgrade

dremic

Supreme [H]ardness
I upgraded to windows 8 and none of my steam games launch any more.

any ideas?

I upgraded to windows 8 and none of my steam games launch any more.

any ideas?

First thing I did after upgrading to Win 8 and after re-installing Steam was verifying the integrity of a dozen-plus games that were pre-installed back when I was on Windows 7.

That "usually" fixes most if not all the issues.

Other things to check are hardware drivers especially your video card.

I've also ran repair installations on .NET Framework 2, 3.5, and 4; and Visual C++ Redistributable 2010, 2008 and 2005. Another thing I did was run the DirectX Web Setup as well. And, most of all, ran Windows Update probably four times to get all the updates for Windows 8 and Office 2010.

One of the things I mentioned would maybe fix your issue. The last thing to try is either:
  • Delete the old games directories under common and Steamapps, or from Steam itself and re-download and re-install them.
  • OR... if it gets too far gone, do a Refresh installation from a bootable media of Windows 8. NOTE: YOU WILL HAVE TO REINSTALL ALL PROGRAMS IF YOU DO THIS, AND REINSTALL ANY HARDWARE DRIVERS NOT PROVIDED BY DEFAULT FROM WINDOWS 8 INSTALLATION.

origin wont even start up :(

im considering a clean install now

MSI Afterburner made all my games crash after upgrade to win 8. Removed it and games start without issues. :)

I had to reinstall Origin on top of itself.

Also, Origin protip if you don't want to redownload your games (and have them already copied as backups somewhere)

-Move your installed games to a temp dir
-Install Origin, setup your dirs and settings
-show 'All Games' and click Download on the ones you want to put back (easier if you do 1-2 at a time)
-when you get 1% or so into your downloads, close Origin. I right clicked/closed the hidden icon in the bottom right to do this
-copy back the games you just started the download. You'll see Origin already made folders for them and registry updates. Overwrite all files
-Load Origin back up and it will finish any downloading and installs

A slight pain but easy on your monthly limits and quicker too

MSI Afterburner made all my games crash after upgrade to win 8. Removed it and games start without issues. :)

thanks for the replies gents. i formatted and reinstalled. thankfully i have a network hard drive and formatted at the beginning of the month anyways so all my music and files were backed, my games however are downloading now while im at work :(

anyways.. so much better with a clean install. everything is working great even msi afterburner. only was able to launch one game though and that was dota 2.

i am digging the new interface tbh

Back