Steam games crashing after 8800GT upgrade

So I finally replaced my 7800GT with an 8800GT(MSI flavor from newegg, if it matters) and dropped in 2 more gigs of ram. I loaded the latest official drivers from nVidia to be safe, and the other games I play like WoW and EVE Online appear to be running just fine. If I try to start CS:S or TF2, however, the game will eventually freeze and my computer will completely lock up. Sometimes it's gone straight to a black screen during load times before joining a game, where I can see my cursor but can't move it(cursor will jump every so often like it's catching up a bit, but nothing really seems to come of it.) It will also just up and freeze up navigating the menus. This only seems to have happened with Steam games, so is there anything I can try before wiping Steam and all my games and having to re-download them all?

I'd suspect that the additional 2GB of RAM would be more-likely to be causing the issue than the 8800GT. What OS are you running? I have an nForce 4 Asus A8N-SLI motherboard and cannot run Windows XP w/4GB of RAM w/out eliciting horrific performance and crashes (hence why I run Vista Home Premium x64- actually pretty happier w/Vista than I was w/XP though so that turned-out to be a blessing in disguise of sorts).

Well that's what happened to me awhile back with an update and I had to delete the nforce firewall thing in the control panel for everything to work. That happened because of an update awhile back but it worked for me.

Ok EVE just did the same thing to me just now, before the first screen even loaded it started stuttering horribly with slight blinks of activity on the screen. Took out the 2 new gigs of ram, if that doesn't do anything I'll try the drivers that came on the CD with the card...

Is your old and new ram the same type? One could be high density and require more voltage than would be healthy for the other type.

Back