Steam from behind university proxy

Mccaula718

Gawd
My university requires me to connect through their proxy in order to get on the internet. Whenever i try to play online, i am unable to connect to servers. Through google, i was able to find that using tunneling programs would allow me to bypass this. I know of no programs that work correctly, and/or I don't understand how to set them up

I've already talked to the admin's. They're not that intelligent and just told me its probably being seen as file sharing so it is throttling my connection. I'm not worried about being expelled for this, or i would not have even asked the question.

I've already talked to the admin's. They're not that intelligent and just told me its probably being seen as file sharing so it is throttling my connection. I'm not worried about being expelled for this, or i would not have even asked the question.

ok, but..

(b.) it opens the forum owners up to legal action should something illegal happen with help from this forum.

Should you have a truly legitimate reason for raw access to the web you must ask your network administrators for permission. Period.

You may not worry about being expelled, but I think the rest of us would rather not get HardOCP in trouble by giving you illegal information. You just answered your question in your original post. I'm afraid you're going to have to take the time to learn tunneling. It's not that hard to learn by the way.

I also recommend you visit Steam's forum for help on this. I'm fairly sure you're not the only college student who wants to play in your dorm.

What is this world coming to, all the op is trying to do is play on a game, thats not against the law. If the proxy is seeing it as file sharing, there is nothing wrong with getting round that as i presume the op is living on campus, its not like its in a exam or somthing like that. If the op is not doing any illigal activity i see no reason for people to help, unless there is somthing in the policy of the campus that says you cannot play online games, if this is the case fair enough.

OP i would see the admins with the port you need written down on paper and see what they can do. You will not get expelled for playing tf2 in your own bedroom for gods sake.

Take a look at this for a start

http://www.hopster.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunneling_protocol#Tunneling_to_circumvent_firewall_policy

Under no way am i suggesting to do anything against any policies, but some people really need to get a grip. All the university are trying to do, is keep themselfs out of the shitter by people not using p2p, and congesting their connection and their network, using a cache for the campus etc, not stopping people playing video games in their spare time.

Why would hard ocp get into trouble becuase the op wants to play a video game?

True, but we don't know the university's policy. Therefore, this boils down to the OP trying to get around a technical restriction. Seeing how he already asked his admins and they didn't give him the access he wanted, I think we can safely assume that they don't want to give him access ( for one reason or another ).

Hence, the OP is trying to get around a restriction.

aye. I ignored his reason and just read the part he where he said "how do you defeat a university firewall".

I don't care what reason he gives us. You don't get around a university firewall.

It is the schools decision if it is, too bad, you are using THEIR service thus THEY decide what to let through and what not, it isnt your choice and doesnt matter what one may think is right or wrong.

You can try, but just realize that if you get caught, take it like a man, since your the one who broke the rules.

Back