Steam Developer conference ... Greenlight will go away ... 75 million users

Kill Greenlight by making it completely open and institute a peer review system to rate the products? Maybe.

While they are at it they should make it so early access games are off the store by default unless unless you opt in.

While they are at it they should make it so early access games are off the store by default unless unless you opt in.

I don't agree with that, but I would love if they implemented a kickstarter service of their own

So many games are rushed to retail before they are finished and are full of bugs.

Early access means devs don't have to rush to release.

So many games are rushed to retail before they are finished and are full of bugs.

Exactly there is no rush they end up just pandering around for a couple of years with minimal effort as they already got your money.

Still no touchscreen on the Steam controller. Doesn't seem to bode well for an imminent release.

I suppose. Something about the whole "early access" thing rubs me the wrong way. I could do that for, effectively full price, while you get me to beta test your product, or I could wait 6 months after release and get it for $5.

Seems like there isn't nearly enough incentive to get in on early access. They're selling it like that's a benefit to me that I should pay extra for, when in fact its a benefit to the game makers that I should really be paying LESS for.

I mean, you're talking about some games that are out there for early access at $30 on up to full retail for $60 that you have no idea if it will be good enough to merit a full price purchase. At least after a game comes out, you get enough user reviews and critics reviews and whatever to know the price point you want to buy a game at.

I don't know. Just seems a little screwy to me.

75 million users are pretty impressive.

I'd like to see what % of those have logged in, in the last year though.

They're selling it like that's a benefit to me that I should pay extra for, when in fact its a benefit to the game makers that I should really be paying LESS for.

Some cases, you actually are paying less. DayZ Standalone and Arma 3 are ones off the top of my head that offered Early Access for $30 and raised the price at release

You know, I bet less people would mind if day 1 releases were on some kind of alpha/beta sale where you know things aren't going to work correctly you pay half price to help the developers get it right in which case the game goes to full price.

If everyone did that, I'd never have time to complete the backlog that I already don't have time to complete.

Exactly there is no rush they end up just pandering around for a couple of years with minimal effort as they already got your money.

I think this is one of those YMMV sort of things ... there are certainly some BAD developers out there who take advantage of their customers ... I think there are also some good one who are conscientious professionals trying to make a good product (often with limited resources).

Since Early Access is a voluntary thing I think it is good ... I used to occasionally preorder titles since they were developers I trusted and wanted to support or titles I wanted to encourage ... KS and Early Access let me do that but also get the benefit of actually playing the game ...

I don't have any Early Access titles I have purchased (yet) but there are a couple I am thinking about. I have three KS projects I am supporting and I have been happy with all three:

Grim Dawn - they have been making steady updates and improvements and should see release this year ... since they are a very small developer I think they are doing very well and they have done a good job communicating with their supporters and reacting to our feedback

Pillars of Eternity - they are still in the development stage but have been extremely forthcoming with info ... they should go into Beta this year and will announce their next project in March

Torment - they are also still in the development stage and I don't expect any Beta activities until late this year at the earliest but they have done a good job with communication and feedback as well

I also joined Path of Exile while they were still in closed Beta and they seemed to do a good job on supporting and enhancing their game

I think over time the KS and Early Access will only get better since we will get feedback on which teams deserve our support and the teams will be able to find the right balance of communication methods and content ... overall I think PC gaming is as good as it's ever been and is only getting better :cool:

agreed.. It's sad Valve promotes INCOMPLETE games so heavy. But if they label it incomplete its okay? gimme a break.

Some cases, you actually are paying less. DayZ Standalone and Arma 3 are ones off the top of my head that offered Early Access for $30 and raised the price at release

Uhh Day-Z is $30 now and always has been and is still in ALPHA. Full release wont be for months.

Back