Steam Deck officially announced by Valve

2d games? What are you talking about?

You seem so sure of yourself that I checked again, the only time performance dips (30fps cap) is when there's a shader compilation. Otherwise it runs the two games I noted great at native ps3 res with the vulcan renderer.

I mean these are mostly "2d games",because there bis barely anyuy geometric compleity in a game like persona

and drakengard 3 just feels like a ps2-era game ico (flat floors,with slightly better shaders )

I mean,this is what ps3 was actually capable of

nd from a third-party:

So if a game made on "easy mode:" is running at 30 fps on 8 threads,its should be obvious why!

Last edited:
I mean these are mostly "2d games",because there bis barely anyuy geometric compleity in a game like persona

and drakengard 3 just feels like a ps2-era game ico (flat floors,with slightly better shaders )

I mean,this is what ps3 was actually capable of

nd from a third-party:

So if a game made on "easy mode:" is running at 30 fps on 8 threads,its should be obvious why!

Okay, so some PS3 games won't run well under emulation on the steam deck? I'm shocked, SHOCKED! Well... Not that shocked...

Okay, so some PS3 games won't run well under emulation on the steam deck? I'm shocked, SHOCKED! Well... Not that shocked...

I'm just saying that al these "Everything is awesome" posts always ignore the vast majority of the the diry litttle secrets.

I'm just saying that al these "Everything is awesome" posts always ignore the vast majority of the the diry litttle secrets.
Here is what I originally said: "I used to run rpcs3 on a raven ridge igpu, and it worked fine, and the software has only gotten more optimized since then. I'm thinking the steam deck will be able to handle it for the most part."

I didn't say it would run anything with incredible performance, I said it would be able to handle PS3 emulation for the most part, and it does. In fact out of all of the PS3 games I have which I tried on it, none had performance issues. If the game was able to fully load up and run, then it ran with good performance (30+ FPS).

If you think there's a critical need to let people know that a $400 portable computer might not be able to do absolutely everything, then consider yourself heard.

Valve is releasing a new game...it's not Portal 3, but it is set in the same universe

Aperture Desk Job is a free "short" game designed for the Steam Deck that teaches you how to use the new device...releasing March 1st, it looks like even if you don't have a Steam Deck you'll still be able to try the game out on your desktop if you have a controller (Mouse and keyboard is not supported)...

RDT_20220225_1914544546269842006909518.jpg

Found this on reddit

Steam Deck review on CNET:

Steam Deck Surprised Me, in Ways Both Good and Bad​

The new Valve handheld PC gaming machine is impressive, but still evolving.

The Steam Deck surpassed my expectations, which I admit were modest after reviewing things like Steam Machines years ago. But, it does require a PC gamer's love of tweaking and customizing.

Dan Ackerman (@danackerman) Tweeted:
Some games that felt surprisingly at home on Steam Deck: No Man's Sky; GTA V, Hades, Inscryption, Doom Eternal.

Mainstream stuff like God of War, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Dying Light 2 were all fine, but didn't blow me away. Maybe b/c of the 1,280x800 resolution https://t.co/ADFuDDYEre

https://twitter.com/danackerman/status/1497275176555356160?s=20&t=7niGUPYZfrjlu75fGn7vdg

https://www.cnet.com/tech/gaming/steam-deck-surprised-me-in-ways-both-good-bad/

That and the frame rate seems molasses like on some titles from what I've seen, like that elden ring gameplay video. But that's to be expected. For what it is and at 1st gen it seems good, especially for certain kinds of games, but it looks like there is a lot of room for improvement compared to modern VR headsets and the ones just around the corner that have more or less the same form factor.

A few things I'd expect to see in a future offering in this kind of form factor are
.. higher resolution (like a single screen/eye of a VR headset's rez),
..90Hz or higher,
..time warp and/or interpolated/duplicated frames (like g-sync and free-sync prem do at sub ~30fps to prevent potholes beneath VRR range and VR does at 45fps to keep 90fpsHz),
..VRR
..OLED per pixel emissive display or otherwise 500nit+ HDR capable screen.
So you could stream games off of a more powerful rig at native higher rez like you can with a VR headset and run non-native rez as needed when running off of the portable hardware alone, and you could use the unit more effectively for high rez media and images.

I think years out we'll probably have high rez AR glasses (with the hardware in a pocket or sling bag initially) and will be streaming a lot of things where possible. Similar to clunky shoebox headed VR game streaming now but lightweight more svelte glasses, high rez, mixed reality w/ virtual screens. We won't be staring at bricks in our hands forever (phones, tablets, steam deck, etc,) in the long run but this is what we have for now. :LOL:

3T1wzv3.jpg

On this kind of hardware I'd probably welcome innovations like a roll down oled like a pull down window shade between the side controllers/chassis, to a 10" - 13" tablet size screen in the meantime, or perhaps more realistically a snap on screen upgrade path with a modular connection on the front face of the main unit for people who'd like to spring for a more premium screen, even if it made it slightly more of a brick than it is now. (Swap-able screen).

the big beard suits Gabe...

I agree. The jack black school of fat guy beards.

xxLrTXTyY7UBYloZoc2g.png

eNi07v4.png

ETbZJeNWsAEkxgo.jpg

That and the frame rate seems molasses like on some titles from what I've seen, like that elden ring gameplay video. But that's to be expected. For what it is and at 1st gen it seems good, especially for certain kinds of games, but it looks like there is a lot of room for improvement compared to modern VR headsets and the ones just around the corner that have more or less the same form factor.

It seems like Steam Deck is what the specs and OS suggested: it's the best effort yet at making PC games playable on a handheld, but it can't escape the practical limits of portable hardware and non-native software. It's a good start, but it's just a start.

On that note, I'm still amused by those who hyped up Steam Deck more than Valve did, the ones who thought it would make Switch owners wail and usher in a new era of PC-only gaming where meaningful choice and competition are dead. Er, no. It's nice hardware, but someone considering a $250 Switch for Metroid or Zelda probably isn't ready to drop $400-plus on just so they can keep playing PC games in bed or on the bus. Especially not given the bulk and battery life.

There is a fix that is now available for the joystick drift. A developer explains that it was caused by a last-minute regression in the firmware included in the systems that were shipped.

https://nitter.actionsack.com/lawrenceyang/status/1498839079558926341
View attachment 449732

OF course man I'm sure this is the "only" regression shipped before launch :D

Steam Deck Sales Pitch for the first 3 months : "enjoy Our Exciting beta hardware, running on Alpha software"

There is a fix that is now available for the joystick drift. A developer explains that it was caused by a last-minute regression in the firmware included in the systems that were shipped.

https://nitter.actionsack.com/lawrenceyang/status/1498839079558926341
View attachment 449732
Glad this was able to be sorted out via software. At the same time, I am glad that the Steam Deck offers replaceable parts in the event of hardware failure. I'm curious if other thumbstick modules would be made, such as sticks with variance in height, form factor (dome or concave), and tension.

Gaming On Linux is streaming the Steam Deck playing some games on Twitch.

Tried out my friend's deck for an hour. The battery life on these units is complete garbage.

The official GPD Twitter account (i.e. company who make a competing gaming handheld) tweeted this image of a Steam Deck running the 3DMark Time Spy benchmark with a presumably underwhelming score. What they probably did not realize is that you can see the resolution/settings of the Time Spy benchmark, revealing they ran it at 1440P Ultra... when the Steam Deck's 7" display is natively 800P. Herp to the mutha fuckin derp GPD.

https://twitter.com/softwincn/status/1502179188970688512?s=20&t=K6Bba5s9WwnpH2XSX8yjIA

And just in case they deleted the Tweet, here's a screenshot.
1647017145697.png

Last edited:
The official GPD Twitter account (i.e. company who make a competing gaming handheld) tweeted this image of a Steam Deck running the 3DMark Time Spy benchmark with a presumably underwhelming score. What they probably did not realize is that you can see the resolution/settings of the Time Spy benchmark, revealing they ran it at 1440P Ultra... when the Steam Deck's 7" display is natively 800P. Herp to the mutha fuckin derp GPD.

https://twitter.com/softwincn/status/1502179188970688512?s=20&t=K6Bba5s9WwnpH2XSX8yjIA

And just in case they deleted the Tweet, here's a screenshot.
View attachment 452768
the GPD Win Max got roughly 11% better score in the same test, but costs around $1340 in stores near me:
1647191837767.png

its usb-c 3.2 so i would assume those would work just fine.
Appears for Linux, only a few distributions have support now, wondering if Valve OS has it for the deck. 512gb for older games should be fine but for newer games that looks more limiting, while the 256gb version pricing is cheaper, I can see why more folks are going with the 512gb for $120 more for double the storage capacity. If I buy the deck, I would want to be able to quickly transfers game files to the NVMe SSD via Steam for different games or played other games directly off a fast stick.

Steam Deck vs Next-Gen Gaming: Ray Tracing/Flight Simulator/Unreal Engine 5 + More Tested!

Steam Deck Client and OS Update: Lockscreen, Power Improvements, and more
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1675200/view/3216142491801797532

NOTE: Today's update includes Steam, OS, and firmware updates, and may take a few minutes to apply after restarting. Please be patient while your Steam Deck updates.

Client Update:

• Added
    Lock Screen
    feature
    • Lock screen is specific to device, and can be set to show up on wake, boot, login, and/or when switching to Desktop mode
    • PIN can be entered using the touchscreen or controls
  • Added localized keyboards for 21 languages and layouts
    • Multiple keyboards can be enabled in Settings > Keyboard > Active Keyboards
    • Use the new globe key on the keyboard to cycle between active keyboards
  • Added support for multiple windows within one application or game.
    • Press Steam to view active windows and select which window you would like to view
    • Useful for web browsers or games with launchers
  • Updated
    Achievements
    page design, making it faster to load and easier to navigate
  • New achievements drop down allows players to quickly compare stats against any friend who also plays
  • Add Friend
    and
    Pending Requests
    have been combined into a single new page for better handling of friend requests
  • Added logic to detect and notify user when a microSD card doesn't match advertised storage size and specifications, instead of attempting to format (for a very long time)
  • Fixed issue where Steam and (...) button couldn't be used with Remote Play when streaming games from PC
  • More performance improvements for players with very large game libraries

OS Update:

• Added messaging when a charger that doesn't meet the minimum bar is plugged in
  • Added uncapped framerate setting in Quick Access menu > Performance
  • Added Half-Rate Shading experimental option to Quick Access menu > Performance, forcing 2x2 Variable Rate Shading into existing games for power savings
  • Added fTPM support, enabling Windows 11 installation
  • Added button combo: hold "..." + "Volume Down" to reset PD contract in the cases where Steam Deck gets stuck due to an incompatible Type-C device
  • Updated power LED to dim a few seconds after power supply connection events for better experience in dark environments
  • Improved compatibility for a number of Type-C docks and PSUs
  • Improved battery life in idle or very low usage scenarios
  • Improved stability
  • Fixed issues where the touchscreen does not work after some boots
  • Fixed compatibility with some SD cards specifically when used as boot devices.
  • Fixed extra haptic click when pressing on trackpads
  • Fixed ACPI error spew in the kernel

if only this thing had official free sync support,or even NVIDIA fast-sync feature, the frame-rate cap at 40 might actually be worthwhile!

but instead, you're stuck with console-tastic 30 fps cap (or-else tons of tearing)

I mean, AMD's Open-source drivers mean that more esoteric features like Enhanced Sync don't work yet ( and likely never will!)

https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxquest...here_any_way_to_turn_on_amd_enhanced_sync_on/

So, eternal thanks to valve for cheaping-out on a Windows license jusat to have the SteamOs distro suddenly make sense (and that much harder a step to fix all your tearing problems)

Last edited:
Steam Deck Client Update: Per-game perf profiles, keyboard updates, and more
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1675200/view/3216144458727332893

General
When connected to an external display, Steam Deck interface is now scaled to virtual 1280x800 resolution (more work on this feature and functionality is underway)
Added Steam hardware survey functionality for Steam Deck
Fixed issue with multiple new Steam Inventory items notifications appearing
Fixed issue with users showing up as Favorites when they are no longer friends
Fixed issues with various dialogs laying out incorrectly when the on-screen keyboard is visible
Fixed on-screen keyboard and magnifier interstitials not taking input on first launch of some games

Per-game performance profiles
Players can now set game-specific performance settings. This feature is accessed in Quick Access Menu > Performance > Advanced View
By default games will use the system performance settings
If per game settings are toggled on, a profile for the currently running title is created. Any edits will be saved and automatically applied when the game is launched
You can always toggle this off to go back to system default settings, or reset to system default settings at any time

Online / Offline
Improved performance when switching from offline to online modes
Improved availability of home screen sections when switching from offline to online modes
Fixed friends continuing to show as online when Steam is disconnected or switches to offline mode

Keyboards
Added the Bulgarian Phonetic Traditional and Phonetic keyboard layouts
Corrected the interaction between CapsLock and Shift
The keyboard shows AltGr symbol hints when AltGr is not active
The keyboard only shows AltGr symbols when AltGr is active
Non-ASCII characters work in desktop mode
Fixed the doubled 'Г' key on the Russian keyboard
Removed the 'ґ' key from the Ukrainian keyboard

Controllers
Removed rumble & haptics toggles from the Quick Access menu. These can be accessed in the Settings > Controller Settings page.
Moved Re-order Controllers button to the Other section in the Quick Access menu

Remote Play
Added a "Stop Streaming" option to the Power menu when hosting a Remote Play session
Updated Recently Played games list to include streamed games

Last edited:

A few things I'd expect to see in a future offering in this kind of form factor are
.. higher resolution (like a single screen/eye of a VR headset's rez),
..90Hz or higher,
..time warp and/or interpolated/duplicated frames (like g-sync and free-sync prem do at sub ~30fps to prevent potholes beneath VRR range and VR does at 45fps to keep 90fpsHz),
..VRR
..OLED per pixel emissive display or otherwise 500nit+ HDR capable screen.
So you could stream games off of a more powerful rig at native higher rez like you can with a VR headset and run non-native rez as needed when running off of the portable hardware alone, and you could use the unit more effectively for high rez media and images.

I think years out we'll probably have high rez AR glasses (with the hardware in a pocket or sling bag initially) and will be streaming a lot of things where possible. Similar to clunky shoebox headed VR game streaming now but lightweight more svelte glasses, high rez, mixed reality w/ virtual screens. We won't be staring at bricks in our hands forever (phones, tablets, steam deck, etc,) in the long run but this is what we have for now. :LOL:

View attachment 448898

On this kind of hardware I'd probably welcome innovations like a roll down oled like a pull down window shade between the side controllers/chassis, to a 10" - 13" tablet size screen in the meantime, or perhaps more realistically a snap on screen upgrade path with a modular connection on the front face of the main unit for people who'd like to spring for a more premium screen, even if it made it slightly more of a brick than it is now. (Swap-able screen).
We all welcome inovations. But $$ and price = reality. I think what you are asking for is already available for them to do, it is just what is logical for the market. Look and the gamut of laptops. You can have a high-end desktop replacement or a meek Chromebook. It is all a matter of money.
Steamdeck is a designed limited range of handhelds and we should be more focused on how much it gives for the buck instead of what it is lacking wishing for features that would add multiples to the price.
Advanced AMD APU tech will make this version obsolete in the near future as expected, but for now that is a hell of a lot of goodness packed into such a form factor, and that isn't even considering the openness and customization of the project. As well we kind of have the impression so far at least that this will be an ever improving year on year advancing platform.
Also, why are you comparing it to the latest VR headsets? Because it is small? It is infinitely more powerful then a Quest2 for example. A Quest2 doesn't have a screen and can have an adjusted low stress 3D world to play in on a low level mobile GPU. Doesn't make it superior by a long shot.

Last edited:
Steam Deck - Windows Resources
https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/6121-ECCD-D643-BAA8

Windows Resources
Steam Deck is a PC, and other applications and OSes can be installed. If you're installing Windows, you will need a few additional drivers to have the best experience. Links to these, along with notes for installing Windows on Steam Deck can be found below.

We are providing these resources as is and are unfortunately unable to offer 'Windows on Deck' support. If you get stuck and need a way back to the default Steam Deck OS, please follow these recovery instructions.

Windows Drivers
APU driver - download here, run setup.exe to install.
This driver is updated as of May 13, 2022. You will need this updated version for audio support.
Wi-Fi driver - download here, run install.bat to install.
Bluetooth driver - download here, run installdriver.cmd to install.
SD Card reader driver - download here, run setup.exe to install.
Audio drivers
Download driver 1/2, right click cs35l41.inf and select Install.
Download driver 2/2, right click NAU88L21.inf and select Install.
These INF files will show up as 'Setup Information' type files in File Explorer.
On Windows 11, right click and select 'Show More Options' to see the 'Install' option.

Dual-Boot with SteamOS not yet available
Installing Windows requires you to wipe your Steam Deck, and dual-boot with SteamOS is not currently available.
While Steam Deck is fully capable of dual-boot, the SteamOS installer that provides a dual-boot wizard isn't ready yet. This will ship alongside SteamOS 3 once it's complete.

Notes for installing Windows
To get to the boot menu, power down. Then, while holding Volume Down, press the power button.
Installation will be in portrait orientation (sideways) on the Steam Deck screen. You can switch this to landscape once Windows is installed.
To enter your product key during installation, you'll need internet. Because there are no Wi-Fi drivers at this point, you'll need a USB-C hub with an Ethernet port for internet.
Both Windows 10 and Windows 11 are supported. For Windows 11, make sure you have the latest OS update (in order to get the latest BIOS with fTPM support) before installing.

Steam Deck tested against Xbox Series S in a range of demanding games - including Cyberpunk 2077.

If the entry level Xbox defines the new baseline for games development, does the Deck have the horsepower to keep up?

Steam Deck vs Xbox Series S - how future-proof is the Valve handheld?​

Testing the Deck against the baseline for next-gen games development.

https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfo...ries-s-how-future-proof-is-the-valve-handheld

Back