Steam Deck officially announced by Valve

Durante breaks it down and says the APU has similar per-pixel performance at 1200x800 as the Series X does at 3840x2160. Performance doesn't scale linearly with resolution, though, but it still should not worry anybody about being able to run games with the device. Linux and Proton compatibility is what it will come down to with Steam OS 3.0. It will be interesting to see how the device performs natively with Windows installed.

https://old.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/ol3gct/durante_ph3_on_the_steam_deck_the_gpu_is_about_as/

It might actually work in Smach-Z's benefit. Having Valve actively work on a handheld-friendly version of their OS should be a benefit - and I can't see Valve walling off Steam OS 3.0 from their handheld hardware competitors.

They aren't the first AMD APU portable console to actually ship, but they will get a lot more volume than the AyaNeo will, but Smaxch-Z has perpetually be plagued by poor management.

This second shipping entry guarantees the Smach hype will die, but they've already been issuing refunds:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-S...ues-to-issue-refunds-to-backers.489498.0.html

Durante breaks it down and says the APU has similar per-pixel performance at 1200x800 as the Series X does at 3840x2160. Performance doesn't scale linearly with resolution, though, but it still should not worry anybody about being able to run games with the device. Linux and Proton compatibility is what it will come down to with Steam OS 3.0. It will be interesting to see how the device performs natively with Windows installed.

https://old.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/ol3gct/durante_ph3_on_the_steam_deck_the_gpu_is_about_as/
XSX doesn't do true 4K in most games so....not really a great comparison.

For anyone concerned about comfort: The thing looks really similar to the WiiU's controller/handheld screen. And those are quite comfy, if a little heavy.

I am a little disappointed it is Zen2 powered not Zen3
I guess you are GPU limited on that device most of the time anyway.
Likewise, 4c/8t is again a little disappointing especially on the higher end options. Even with Zen2 there were 8c/16t options like the 4700 and for modern gaming or streaming I'd like to see something of the sort
A Ryzen 4750G (8C/16T, 8 Vega CUs) costs $399 on Amazon which is the same price as the entire Steam Deck base model, but for only the CPU... no way Valve could have hit that price point and form factor (not to mention battery life) with a larger CPU. Maybe future 5nm CPUs will make that possible.

The only thing that I am disappointed in is that there is no FreeSync or HDR screen, or at least a 90 Hz one, not even as premium option. But I guess that may come if the device is successful, and you can connect an external monitor if you want that.
It's the Van Gogh APU which isn't being used by the Xbox or PS5.
It is more like half an Xbox Series S APU.
And there's no way this thing doesn't have Freesync, right?
The Steam Deck supports DisplayPort 1.4 via USB-C. You can connect an external FreeSync display, and it will presumably work. Beware if you use USB-C to HDMI adapters/docks though, those do not always pass through FreeSync.
I don't see this having any notable impact on Switch sales. I really do not see them as competing in the same market.
Yeahhhhh.... except the Switch is still less expensive, contains exclusives, and titles that were pretty much custom tailored to work with its hardware....
I think they are close enough in price to be in competition (except the Switch Lite, but even Nintendo says there is no competition between Switch and Switch Lite). Especially if you consider that online is free on the Steam Deck and $20/year on Switch, and the generally higher cost of Switch games.
That titles are custom tailored to the Switch doesn't prevent some from running like crap (I'm looking at you, BotW) with no recourse for the gamer. With the Steam Deck you can at least try to adjust settings to get stable framerates.

That being said, those who are drawn to (stationary) consoles over PCs will probably still prefer the Switch. Those however who don't mind the intricacies of PC gaming will feel right at home with the Steam Deck.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
1626454147026.png

At least it doesn't run on 6x AA batteries that only last 1-2 hours while running comically bad ports of true console/PC games.

Great, the bots got them all :cautious:(n) now to wait for Newegg to bundle them with useless crap during their Christmas shuffle

And to the surprise of absolutely nobody, any attempts to pre-order are not going through at all, payment process just refuses to proceed.

If the Steam Deck's layout is comfortable, I'm hoping we'll get a Steam Controller 2 based on the Deck design. I agree with the complaints about the original controller, but felt if it was designed just a little differently it would've been a winner.
That's what I'm really hoping for, as it'd be a shame to have to buy a Deck to reap its benefits over the older Steam Controller.

1626455244849.png

So looks like it got in.

Also about the bots, if the owners knew about the item going on sale ahead of time it will help. Otherwise, steam says any new acocunts must have a purchase before 1 June 2021 to pre order today. All other accounts have to wait till Sunday.

1626455386920.png

Used the steam client for mine, maybe a better alternative than slamming the webservers.

Got an order in. I decided to say screw it and went with the top end model. I couldn't get PayPal to go through so just used my Visa directly this time.
I'm still rotting away at the checkout screen. I also switched from PP to a VISA CC. Hopefully I'll get one.

blah.jpg

I kept getting a weird error, and it turned out, it was because one of my attempts went through. Yay?

Tried for 15 minutes, with no luck (direct payment with MC). Currently at work, so couldn't stay away from the desk for too long!

Still, nice to see them selling out.

Another shit show that by the time I actually get in the queue, I'm so far down it that I'll never get one.

The Steam client is just another Chromium-based Web browser in practice, no real difference there.

At any rate, I got screwed out of pre-ordering one, system thinks I've attempted to place too many orders too soon just like what TheGeekFreak suffered from up there, never mind that it's all because their site's getting slammed just as hard as NVIDIA's was on RTX 3080 release day.

I resereved a 512gb.. will be interesting to see how long the wait ends up being. The few retailers that were doing first come first served for PS5s for example have people waiting STILL..

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 1.21.00 PM.png

Buttons disabled as these messages popped up one by one. I still have one in cart trying to check out but looks like the reservations are maxed for this round. :(

I resereved a 512gb.. will be interesting to see how long the wait ends up being. The few retailers that were doing first come first served for PS5s for example have people waiting STILL..
At least there won't be bot issues, they're not letting recently registered accounts jump in on this.

Not to mention I doubt there's a demand for these like there is for the PS5. They're completely different markets. I'd be shocked if they sold more than a few million of these Decks before the next version comes out.

I think it's done. It doesn't show up as orderable when I try from a different browser.

Got a 512GB reservation in at 10:01. Hopefully that means I won't be waiting until 2023 for one.

Reactions: Axman
like this
At least there won't be bot issues, they're not letting recently registered accounts jump in on this.

Not to mention I doubt there's a demand for these like there is for the PS5. They're completely different markets. I'd be shocked if they sold more than a few million of these Decks before the next version comes out.

But yet, it wasn't a guaranteed pre-order by any stretch...

I'd keep trying for now if you want one.
Yeah, thats my plan. Not sure if there is a timeout on the page, so I just keep hitting CONTINE on the payment screen and it keeps giving me the trying too many times error. Just going to keep poking it every couple of minutes and hope I get lucky.

Back