Steam Deck officially announced by Valve

Given this is running Linux with Valve tweaks, and has a full native TestUFO-compatible Chrome browser on it too (Steam store uses that engine for rendering the Steam UI), I've got lots of ideas for this thing if one accidentally falls into my lab.

Especially if the USB-C port is a real native DisplayPort/HDMI capable output (via true USB-C alt modes), it can double as a bonafide turbocharged portable display tester/calibrator device.

As it runs both standard Linux and Windows apps, while standing up in front of a convention exhibit display (much more cumbersome to do with a laptop).

Many display testing / calibration technicians "out in the field" at a convention are sometimes awkwardly standing up with a laptop or putting the laptop on the floor in front.

Some software only requires arrow keys and Enter/space to operate, so could be mapped to the existing buttons, only requiring rare use of a Bluetooth keyboard.

Being a sideloadable & tweakable Linux device more powerful than a lot of other similarly-priced fare, there will be probably be a bunch of additional markets for this thing -- as this one-hand-operable unit (for a joystick or button trigger) is far more powerful than many palmtop computers and tablets of similar weight.

The 4K60 capable output also, theoretically should be able to do 1080p240 with some custom Linux ModeLines. While it won't run Crysis at those frame rates, TestUFO isn't a problem. That particular APU definitely has no problems doing TestUFO 240Hz. I should try that.

Could be a great "out in the field" display testing/calibration computer device, great for visiting a standup-only showroom of 100 displays as conventions resume in 2022.

Last edited:
Ill check Odroid super out, thanks for the info, hadn't heard of it.

Might be a bit of a downgrade, but it's portable. Signs point to Steam Deck...

Especially if the USB-C port is a real native DisplayPort/HDMI capable output (via true USB-C alt modes), it can double as a bonafide turbocharged portable display tester device, that runs both standard Linux and Windows apps, while standing up in front of a convention exhibit display (much more cumbersome to do with a laptop).

I believe the USB supports 4K@120 and 8K@60.

Yeah, I'd really like to get something that I could set up like a Nintendo Switch, and be able to play KI at full speed, and Gamecube specifically Soul Calibre 2. I think this may be what I'm looking for...all the hardware seems to be there. As much as I like ARM based system, they have their limitations.

I believe the USB supports 4K@120 and 8K@60.
If it truly does 8K60 or 4K120, then it should be able to do 1080p360 and 4K144 with an undocumented Linux ModeLine.

Unofficially, I'm usually able to coax almost any 8K60 GPU to output 1080p360, 1440p240 and 4K144 (the approximate state of art for their respective resolutions). Linux ModeLines are the Linux equivalent of Windows ToastyX CRU. Technically, 8K60 capable outputs can unofficially be coaxed to do 4K240 and 1080p960 too (barring OS hardcoded limitations such as Windows 10's hardcoded 500Hz limit), as they are the same number of pixels per second --and-- same number of display RAM accesses per second. Certainly game framerates won't reach that, but some simple 2D (e.g. TestUFO) can be pushed pretty stratospherically for display testings' sake.

The ability to test a display while standing up at Best Buy (or conventions or elsewhere) is a very useful tool; and a more powerful handheld display testing tool will be useful to additional niche markets.

Last edited:
I'm guessing its probably way, way too hopeful to expect this to be built with standard laptop parts to allow breakdown and upgrades in the future?
Cause if I could just take the chassis and motherboard and upgrade to a Zen3 (or zen3+, whatever they call the V-cache) based APU in the future... double the ram (I severely doubt this will be possible) and get turn it into a ramcache... or maybe just put a bigger NVME drive in there...

Hell, I actually wonder how well primocache will work with on this, it can run windows. This is gonna be fun to mess with regardless.

$400 seems like a lot to play emulators.
It does, no doubt. But to be able to play all the things I want to play with such a small footprint im debating it. I love the Odroids & the Pi's with the ARM's but even they have their limitations on emulation I've found, especially using certain shaders. I would settle for a Nintendo Switch, if it wasn't locked down and I know you can jail break them but I dont feel like jumping through all the hoops.

I'm guessing its probably way, way too hopeful to expect this to be built with standard laptop parts to allow breakdown and upgrades in the future?
Cause if I could just take the chassis and motherboard and upgrade to a Zen3 (or zen3+, whatever they call the V-cache) based APU in the future... double the ram (I severely doubt this will be possible) and get turn it into a ramcache....
That would be the dream. I think were headed that way though.

I guarantee you that it's soldered to the board. I have high hopes that the storage is user-serviceable, mostly because of the options they've listed. I think this is Van Gogh so it may already be a generation ahead in ways.

As I've said before - these x86 devices are all going to be incredibly power-hungry, so these things are twice the weight of a Switch (massive cooling, plus much bigger battery)

Be prepared to buy a new heavy-duty backpack to shove this thing in, - along with claws-of-steel to hold that bulk!
The news of X86's death is greatly exaggerated. There are already Switch x86 clones able to run for 5-6 hours on battery so I would assume this would do as well or better. Considering this is using RDNA2 then I would say better.
Not really. So called PCMR snubs will point their nose up this just as fast as the Switch. This will not compete with the Switch in anyway.
Of course it won't which is why I'll buy one to install Yuzu and play Switch games on it.
$400 seems like a lot to play emulators.
Not when a new Switch costs $300 and this can emulate a Switch. It is running Debian Linux so you can do just about anything you want on this device.

Was on youtube watching a video and saw this one made me chuckle

View attachment 375309
Of what Carlos M says deathhorse he might be dead on, dead eye right. To give you an idea of what bot wielding scalpers are doing with Switch OLED consoles if you all are wondering? It's been about 6 hours since preorders went up for it? On eBay there are already 825 auctions for Switch OLED's. I don't know a soul who will take advantage of those (hopefully no one) but...if that's what the bot-wielding scalpers are already doing with the Switch OLED (proving they are still starving for...$$$$$$$) after about 6 hours imagine what they'll do to the Steam Deck on Friday at 10am? Adding to that question I'm posing they will still be starving for money on Friday at 10am so they just might be starving for the Steam Deck...especially the scalpers who are pros who do this for a living with massive financial capitol to throw at it. Well actually...don't. It'll likely be too painful. Out!

Of what Carlos M says deathhorse he might be dead on, dead eye right. To give you an idea of what bot wielding scalpers are doing with Switch OLED consoles if you all are wondering? It's been about 6 hours since preorders went up for it? On eBay there are already 825 auctions for Switch OLED's. I don't know a soul who will take advantage of those (hopefully no one) but...if that's what the bot-wielding scalpers are already doing with the Switch OLED (proving they are still starving for...$$$$$$$) after about 6 hours imagine what they'll do to the Steam Deck on Friday at 10am? Adding to that question I'm posing they will still be starving for money on Friday at 10am so they just might be starving for the Steam Deck...especially the scalpers who are pros who do this for a living with massive financial capitol to throw at it. Well actually...don't. It'll likely be too painful. Out!
What’s the deal with this oled I have a switch but don’t use it for it’s portability so the new ones are faster and look pretty? Whatever... I also have a steam link and the controller sitting somewhere collecting dust lol. I think I used my link 1 time this year.

I just realize the awkward placement of the analog sticks on top, seems a bit odd no? Regardless ill be buying one on the release date, can't be worse than the two steam boxes (running Steam OS) I had and the multiple steam controllers I still use on my spare pc and main rig.

Yeah...I'm not going to order one until I know how much the dock is. But I want one though! I'll bet these will be sold out until the middle of next year.

Interesting. The Switch has real competition. Won't hurt Nintendo in the short run but I do wonder how it will work out in the long term. Has to put a dent into it. Nintendo still has games designed around it though. Maybe this will end up DOA like the Steam box concept, but doubt it. This seems a lot more well throughout and defined.

I think any chance of Nintendo games coming to PC has died, not that said chance was big anyways.

I don't see this having any notable impact on Switch sales. I really do not see them as competing in the same market.

Of course it won't which is why I'll buy one to install Yuzu and play Switch games on it.
Yuzu on an APU? I'm not sure how well that would work out. Maybe with some of the new rendering improvements they've done it'll work well enough.

Agreed. This is the console everyone was waiting for on the PC Master Race side who refuse to get a Nintendo Switch and what Nintendo feared would happen down the road. And if anyone was going to do it? Of course it would be Gabe and Valve Software! Out!
Yeahhhhh.... except the Switch is still less expensive, contains exclusives, and titles that were pretty much custom tailored to work with its hardware.... as opposed to whatever we get on the PC... Which is to say, occasionally well optimized games and then other times terrible ports that rely on our ridiculous hardware to still run... Switch also has convertible controllers and setup options and other goodies.

At least this will have the advantage of Steam sales and whatnot. I'm actually excited, don't get me wrong. I just don't think Nintendo has that much to fear, here. You can't break off this thing's controllers and play local coop for instance...

You know I'm kind of afraid about what's going to happen with Steam after Gabe dies, though. Does he call all the shots there? What happens if someone more entrepreneurial takes over? People can diss steam all they want, they don't take nearly as much advantage of us as they could. If his relatively benevolent rule is gone and it gets bought by Tencent or something... I can't even imagine it.

This thing looks amazing. Definitely getting the best model tomorrow.

I used to have a GPD Win 2, and I've been following those devices, but the new ones are over a grand, which I just can't justify.

Of course, the $400 model is a joke with 64GB of memory. Doom Eternal alone (with DLC) is 75GB, so you can't even install 1 game.

Also like that Valve is pushing Proton into the mainstream, if this device sells well we could be looking at better Linux ports, or at least developers testing on Proton and fixing bugs. So that is big.

And you could potentially install Windows or Linux and use this as your computer. Think of developing on the go, always wanted a portable system that could do dev work as well (not just gaming).

So it looks so good. I can't wait to try.

Oh man I just realized there's a possibility that the BIOS or boot loader might support booting off the SD. That would rock worlds.

I don't think this is aimed at Switch users. I think this is aimed at PC gamers that need or want something small, portable, and powerful enough to game on the go.
There are already some decent options from places like, https://www.gpd.hk/product, but not at a price point this low.

Oh man I just realized there's a possibility that the BIOS or boot loader might support booting off the SD. That would rock worlds.

Yes, it would.

So Gabe has shifted from the mom's basement look to the homeless kook look.
I think he is going for 1990s UNIX admin look at this point:

Q2_Ve43wAeNCBdgnydCKpwnTP8wYoa0OmnhBpiTH9Ms.png

I don't think this is aimed at Switch users. I think this is aimed at PC gamers that need or want something small, portable, and powerful enough to game on the go.
There are already some decent options from places like, https://www.gpd.hk/product, but not at a price point this low.

Yes, it would.

Also probably for console gamers who want something equivalent to their consoles on the go. Something more than what Switch can offer.

The news of X86's death is greatly exaggerated. There are already Switch x86 clones able to run for 5-6 hours on battery so I would assume this would do as well or better. Considering this is using RDNA2 then I would say better.

Not when a new Switch costs $300 and this can emulate a Switch. It is running Debian Linux so you can do just about anything you want on this device.
You know, you just keep crushing my dreams about the death of x86 in favor of ARM, and no thanks in part to AMD. :D
NVIDIA had better get ownership of ARM soon if ARM really is going to do that outside of enterprise solutions...

Have to say, this is an impressive piece of hardware, and the fact that the 5-15 watt TDP APU is capable of 448 GFLOPS and 1.6 TFLOPS is just insane - well played, Valve and AMD. 👏

I don't see this having any notable impact on Switch sales. I really do not see them as competing in the same market.

Yuzu on an APU? I'm not sure how well that would work out. Maybe with some of the new rendering improvements they've done it'll work well enough.

Actually...

That's 1080p cemu Botw @ 30 looks great, and it loks like yuzu runs it even faster!

Th PS3 also looks great! Youre going to have to expect half the CPU performance, but still should give you 25-30 fps in most games

Apus are actually pretty good for emulation, if yioure not too demanding on the GPU upscale / post processing effects - my crappy i5 6500 w dual channel can run most wii games at around 45-60 fps with 2x upscale

Last edited:
You know I'm kind of afraid about what's going to happen with Steam after Gabe dies, though. Does he call all the shots there? What happens if someone more entrepreneurial takes over? People can diss steam all they want, they don't take nearly as much advantage of us as they could. If his relatively benevolent rule is gone and it gets bought by Tencent or something... I can't even imagine it.

I do worry about it. I don't think the company would be the same without Newell. And currently it is privately owned. If it goes public I think we'd see huge changes.

Hands on preview from Bo Moore of IGN
https://in.ign.com/steam-deck/16268...first-hands-on-with-valves-handheld-gaming-pc

Ryan McCaffrey (@DMC_Ryan) Tweeted:
Finally for today (MUCH more is coming from us later this month), while I played the Steam Deck and so did @TomRMarks, @usebomswisely put together a formal preview after spending a bunch of time with it, which you can read or watch here: https://in.ign.com/steam-deck/16268...first-hands-on-with-valves-handheld-gaming-pc
https://twitter.com/DMC_Ryan/status/1415720225647955970?s=20

At least they included a MicroSD slot too. That should be good for storing a huge emulator/rom library so it doesn't eat into the normal storage.

The peak GPU boost clock on this is 400mhz slower than the recently released desktop APU, 5800G (Also 8 GPU cores). That's a lot slower. The 5800G is generally only good for 720p/60 in non-indy games which are 3+ years old (GTA5, Tomb Raider, etc). and can do 1080p/30 low/medium, in some games. Even though it is a newer GPU architecture, At 400mhz slower, Steamdeck has no chance of playing semi-current, non-indies (there will be this or that, sure. But this isn't going to be some mega machine, completely overshadowing all others). Especially without Steamdeck specific optimization patches, like you would get on something like a Switch.

It is Vega vs RDNA 2

granted that it is optimized Vega but hopefully the bettter memory will give the Valve's hardware a significant uplift

Steam controller only has trackpads. Which is probably one reason it failed.
Technically speaking, it does have a left analog stick and face buttons, but they're moved down low, which is particularly unergonomic for the buttons (a gripe I also have with the Wii U Pro Controller, but peculiarly not its GamePad). I would know, I've held one.

This means the Steam Controller totally sucked at games designed around a conventional gamepad as opposed to the twin trackpads, as you had to emulate the D-Pad or right stick with the trackpads, and the face buttons are in the wrong place for beat-'em-ups or spectacle fighters. Put another way, would you want the face buttons in a place that makes playing Yakuza, Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, etc. rather awkward? I didn't think so.

Part of the reason I want to get my hands on the Steam Deck is to evaluate its ergonomics. A lot of people are already griping about the D-Pad and button placement, but I think that if they get the grip shape just right (something that the Wii U GamePad has a huge lead over the succeeding Switch, because it doesn't need to be truly portable), it won't be as bad as we're thinking to have one's thumbs near-vertical to hit D-Pad left or the B button.

In addition, its trackpads don't come at the complete expense of the D-Pad and right stick this time. They are optional extras, not required to be shoehorned into roles they don't fit very well. However, they're also taking up the space where the Wii U GamePad would've placed its D-Pad and buttons, which may have resulted in ergonomic compromise for the more traditional controls.

As for their viability in FPSs, we'll see. It'll probably take a combo of trackpad and gyro aim to get mouse-level precision, and playing games like DOOM Eternal and especially ULTRAKILL well demands a lot of flick shots and precision (Precision Bolt sniping weak points in the former, Marksman coin flips in the latter, especially when quickswapping to the railcannon) to the point that playing on a conventional gamepad is an exercise in masochism.

Technically speaking, it does have a left analog stick and face buttons, but they're moved down low, which is particularly unergonomic for the buttons (a gripe I also have with the Wii U Pro Controller, but peculiarly not its GamePad). I would know, I've held one.

This means the Steam Controller totally sucked at games designed around a conventional gamepad as opposed to the twin trackpads, as you had to emulate the D-Pad or right stick with the trackpads, and the face buttons are in the wrong place for beat-'em-ups or spectacle fighters. Put another way, would you want the face buttons in a place that makes playing Yakuza, Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, etc. rather awkward? I didn't think so.

Part of the reason I want to get my hands on the Steam Deck is to evaluate its ergonomics. A lot of people are already griping about the D-Pad and button placement, but I think that if they get the grip shape just right (something that the Wii U GamePad has a huge lead over the succeeding Switch, because it doesn't need to be truly portable), it won't be as bad as we're thinking to have one's thumbs near-vertical to hit D-Pad left or the B button.

In addition, its trackpads don't come at the complete expense of the D-Pad and right stick this time. They are optional extras, not required to be shoehorned into roles they don't fit very well. However, they're also taking up the space where the Wii U GamePad would've placed its D-Pad and buttons, which may have resulted in ergonomic compromise for the more traditional controls.

As for their viability in FPSs, we'll see. It'll probably take a combo of trackpad and gyro aim to get mouse-level precision, and playing games like DOOM Eternal and especially ULTRAKILL well demands a lot of flick shots and precision (Precision Bolt sniping weak points in the former, Marksman coin flips in the latter, especially when quickswapping to the railcannon) to the point that playing on a conventional gamepad is an exercise in masochism.

If the Steam Deck's layout is comfortable, I'm hoping we'll get a Steam Controller 2 based on the Deck design. I agree with the complaints about the original controller, but felt if it was designed just a little differently it would've been a winner.

I think this will actually perform well at 1280x800.
8 CUS pushing 1 million pixels VS a PS5 with 36CUS pushing 3.7 - 8 million pixels.
Lower clocks but hopefully it will have a 128bit bus to go with that ddr5.. Shouldn't be too shabby.

After I get to test it, I will almost certainly run windows on this thing. It should lead to accelerated development for SteamOS and Proton but I’m happy to let that bake for a while.
The 399 sku with 16GB and those specs is almost certainly a loss generator for Valve and even the 512 and non reflective screen is probably still in loss territory.
I would think any [H] user considering one would go for a nvme model as both 64gb and low speeds will be unpleasant and running games from a microsd at sub HDD speeds will suck.

i'm guessing this effectively kills the zombie smach-z?

It might actually work in Smach-Z's benefit. Having Valve actively work on a handheld-friendly version of their OS should be a benefit - and I can't see Valve walling off Steam OS 3.0 from their handheld hardware competitors.

Back