Steam Deal - Assasin's Creed, $9.99

Game's not even worth $10 in my opinion, but hopefully you and anyone else who makes an impulse purchase end up feeling differently

Game's not even worth $10 in my opinion, but hopefully you and anyone else who makes an impulse purchase end up feeling differently

Not sure why this game got as bad of a rap as it did, was awesome if you spent your time going through it, thought the graphics, gameplay, and the story were all quite well done. IMO totally worth 10.00.

I bought this the last time it was $10 on Steam. Awesome, awesome game. Also one of the best games with GeForce 3D Vision.

I'm waiting for this game to hit $5 before I buy. Or else it needs to get bundled into some sort of Ubisoft Montreal pack for the cheap.

I would say it for me it was a combination of the incredibly poor AI, the mindless repetition, the boring locales, and the braindead combat.

I already bought this, and now I think I am going to have to check it out.

Your description sounds exactly like FC2, which I ended up thinking was an awesome game.

I would say it for me it was a combination of the incredibly poor AI, the mindless repetition, the boring locales, and the braindead combat.

Sounds like 99% of all the PC and console games I own. Me I thought the exact opposite. The locales were amazing, combat was fast, fluid, and required some foresight on most of the assassinations, and the AI was no better or worse than the majority of games released in the last decade which is too say halfway decent.

Your description sounds exactly like FC2, which I ended up thinking was an awesome game.

If you liked FC2 you'll probably like Assassin's Creed. Most of the problems I have with AC are glaring issues in FC2 as well.

Yup, just play through one city and call it done...'cuz you're just going to do the same thing over and over again. Combat actually gets easier as you progress due to the infallible combos you learn and everything looks pretty much the same.

The "missions" where all pretty much the same thing over and over again just in a different place. Then again, I had a ton of fun playing it. Definitely worth $10.

Far Cry 2 was one of the biggest let downs I've ever seen in modern gaming. I don't think this can compare to it in that way.

On another note, a friend of mine finished Assasins creed on his 360, he said it was a pretty decent game.

I hung out with him one day and he goes yeah i bought Far Cry 2 I wanted to try it out. I told him bro that game is legit lame, you're not going to like it i already told you.

He went back to gamestop 3 days after he bought it and returned it. he absolutely hated it.

Got it and the strat guide from the salvation army thrift store around here for $3 after tax. No joke.

I got it from Steam the first time it was on sale for $10. I thought it was worth that much, but I do agree with the people that found it repeatative (but most action games tend to be).

If you liked FC2 you'll probably like Assassin's Creed. Most of the problems I have with AC are glaring issues in FC2 as well.

Far Cry 2 was one of the biggest let downs I've ever seen in modern gaming. I don't think this can compare to it in that way.

On another note, a friend of mine finished Assasins creed on his 360, he said it was a pretty decent game.

I hung out with him one day and he goes yeah i bought Far Cry 2 I wanted to try it out. I told him bro that game is legit lame, you're not going to like it i already told you.

He went back to gamestop 3 days after he bought it and returned it. he absolutely hated it.

Huh.

Not being argumentative here, but I liked it.

My point being is that I am not much of a gamer. Besides Halo, HL2 and FC1 & 2 (NOT that they should be said together, mind you...), I haven't really played anything else the last maybe five years. Some of Gears (PC) and some of Riddick, other nothing besides racing games...

So, if I liked FC2, and it's the bottom of what's available, I'm really missing out on some quality games out there...

I've BOUGHT just about everything, though. Just haven't bothered to try them out... Battlefield, CoD, FEAR all come to mind... So, I really need to give 'em a whirl if I thought FC2 was good yet it sucks compares to them...

I still remember how much FC1 blew my mind when I finally bought it after reading so much positive word of mouth about it for a few months... Hadn't experienced that since early '99 when I finally grabbed HL1... Both times I wished I had gotten the game sooner...

I'm finally trying out STALKER;SoC now... Funny thing is, I think it's kinda meh right now after an hour...

Then again, I thought FC2 was a flaming piece of crap after one hour though, too...

You know, I've decided I really have an open mind when it comes to games. I've seen many games get slammed by negative comments here and elsewhere that I really actually enjoyed a LOT. Some examples:

Assassin's Creed - well worth $10. My brother said it was awesome. I told him he was full of crap and that I read online that it was as repetitive as sin, and that I'd be bored after five minutes. Boy was I wrong. For some reason trying to assassinate people, jumping off rooftops, and even assassinating people while jumping off rooftops just doesn't seem to get old. The graphics are gorgeous, and the gameplay is intense. I think that combat is a little bit too easy sometimes, but overall I enjoy playing this game a LOT more than I thought I would. This is a great deal.

Crysis & Crysis Warhead (thought both games were very fun, and I really enjoyed the good graphics and fluid combat system. There's a lot to like about Crysis.)

Far Cry 2 - Another title with a fantastic open landscape, lots of fun missions, and great graphics. I noticed some minor gripes, but enjoyed playing it for hours and hours.

C&C 3 - Some of my RTS fans said it sucks. RA3 is better, WC & SC are better, etc. I was a huge fan of Warcraft and Starcraft, but I still think C&C is worlds better than RA3, even though it's older and has less scantily clad women in it. I still enjoy doing a good compstomp with friends on C&C 3, but some of my pals won't even give it a chance!

There are other examples, but I paid $10 for one game I just can't get into. It's so rare for me not to start enjoying a game after a while, no matter the genre. I mean I love Mass Effect, KotoR (even cut short #2), Need for Speed racing games, HL series, Counterstrike, most of the Battlefield Games, Call of Duty, SupCom and tons of other RTS games, and even simple clicker games like Defense Grid. I like a huge scope of games, and can overlook a lot of flaws in order to enjoy a good story, or overlook weak gameplay or story in ordrer appreciate great graphics, music or whatever, but I just cannot even force myself to like Two Worlds. What do I have to do to enjoy that game? I really want to, but the game just feels stupid and crappy. I don't like the combat system, the lack of customization, the magic system, the storyline, etc. I mean it has elements of things that would make an RPG great, but I just can't get into it at all.

/rant

Good deal on Assassin's Creed though!

In the last for sale thread I said I hate Steam. Now I'm also angry at SirKronan. (Not really)

Because of their evil-ness I just bought Assassins Creed. :p

Steam = $ Go bye-bye!

Not sure why this game got as bad of a rap as it did, was awesome if you spent your time going through it, thought the graphics, gameplay, and the story were all quite well done. IMO totally worth 10.00.

Agreed, i bought it. Well worth 10$

$10 is not enough!
I would only agree to play this repetitive and tedious game for a salary of $30 per hour.

For $10, this isn't a bad game.

I found it to get repetitive towards the second to last mission or so. Maybe a little before, but I found the reason for that:

Whenever a new area opened up, I would do EVERYTHING there. All of the saving the citizens, all of the viewpoints (which are probably the most important), all of the information gathering, all of the pick pocketing...but I never got the flag things. Well, the ones just lying around and not part of a mission.

If I did it again, I'd grab the viewpoints, save a couple people, and move on. The game wouldn't have gotten so old if I had done that.

The game is fun enough just to load up and run around town assassinating random people. The roof-running concept is fun, though I wish they had incorporated more acrobatics during fights, rather than the whole dodge/parry/block/throw thing. They got tedious for me, after a while.

Still. Not bad for $10. You could do worse. :)

Back