Steam Cuts Support For Windows 7 and Windows 8 – January 2024

It should not be a problem in most cases. One exception would be retro / vintage computers. Steam has been around long enough that it would be used to load many older games even on those computers. Most 32-bit x86 computers for example. Even though there is a 32-bit version of Windows 10, it still requires a CPU with NX-bit support. Very few 32-bit CPUs support NX-bit. So for 99% of computers with 32-bit CPUs, Windows 7 would be the newest OS that you could install on it (Windows 8 also requires NX-bit). So I guess if you have a retro rig, make sure that you install your games before then, and hope that it doesn't require steam to actually launch the game.

Again, not a problem in most cases, but it does remind us of the depressing reality of games that are tied into platforms like Steam. It's not like years past where you actually owned the game. If you still have your old 35+ year old Nintendo console for example, you can still hook it up and play it the same as the day it was new. For a game on Steam, you can only play it for as long as they allow you to play it. Though they might give you a chance to buy it again some day :rolleyes:

Steam Cuts Support For Windows 7 and Windows 8 – January 2024
Starting January 1, 2024, Steam will stop supporting Windows 7 and 8. The information was revealed today via Steam’s Support Section, which you can check out here. But what does that exactly mean?
It means you won't be able to run the live version of Steam on those operating systems anymore. The reason being extended security update support for 7, 8, and 8.1 ended in January this year. The extra year Steam is giving users is a grace period to give them time to upgrade.
It should not be a problem in most cases. One exception would be retro / vintage computers. Steam has been around long enough that it would be used to load many older games even on those computers. Most 32-bit x86 computers for example. Even though there is a 32-bit version of Windows 10, it still requires a CPU with NX-bit support. Very few 32-bit CPUs support NX-bit. So for 99% of computers with 32-bit CPUs, Windows 7 would be the newest OS that you could install on it (Windows 8 also requires NX-bit). So I guess if you have a retro rig, make sure that you install your games before then, and hope that it doesn't require steam to actually launch the game.

Again, not a problem in most cases, but it does remind us of the depressing reality of games that are tied into platforms like Steam. It's not like years past where you actually owned the game. If you still have your old 35+ year old Nintendo console for example, you can still hook it up and play it the same as the day it was new. For a game on Steam, you can only play it for as long as they allow you to play it. Though they might give you a chance to buy it again some day :rolleyes:
If you're running a vintage system then you should be buying your games from GOG, anyway, if you don't have physical copies. You can download standalone installers for all games you purchase there.

If you're running a vintage system then you should be buying your games from GOG, anyway, if you don't have physical copies. You can download standalone installers for all games you purchase there.

I wasn't talking about where to buy new copies of old games, I was talking about games that were bought a long time ago, when those games were new (potentially before GOG even existed). Steam launched in 2003.

I wasn't talking about where to buy new copies of old games, I was talking about games that were bought a long time ago, when those games were new (potentially before GOG even existed). Steam launched in 2003.
GOG launched in 2008 and allowed activation of Steam keys on its service for a time.

When they leave you no avenue, just think outside the box

captain-sparrow-smiles.gif

Thing is, what is the point of early 2000 retro computers? 99% of those old games still run on modern hardware without a single problem and will continue to run until 32-bit support gets axed in future computers. Backwards compatibility is almost flawless. This is a very different situation from DOS games and 16-bit games which require emulation to function on modern hardware.

It means you won't be able to run the live version of Steam on those operating systems anymore. The reason being extended security update support for 7, 8, and 8.1 ended in January this year. The extra year Steam is giving users is a grace period to give them time to upgrade.

GoG dropped support for installers for some definition of “vintage” ie. WinXP. Presumably they will drop support for Win7/8 installers at some point too. Just something to keep in mind.

FWIW most GoG releases never ran properly on WinXP anyways once GoG patched the binaries for Win7+. It’s also still possible to extract an EXE which might at least allow for an install on WinXP from the installers.

For my “vintage” games I just buy actual disks at Goodwill/EBay/online communities now and redump them to verify hashes/data integrity and archive the disc images myself.

Thing is, what is the point of early 2000 retro computers? 99% of those old games still run on modern hardware without a single problem and will continue to run until 32-bit support gets axed in future computers. Backwards compatibility is almost flawless. This is a very different situation from DOS games and 16-bit games which require emulation to function on modern hardware.
There are features from DirectX 8 and older that are not reproduced accurately on modern hardware due to the features being deprecated. The hardware literally cannot produce the image without software interpretation. Then you have other legacy 3D APIs like Glide. Software wrappers do a pretty decent job these days, but again they're not 100% accurate since there is detail lost in translation to DirectX 11/12 or Vulkan calls. There are other APIs still that have no modern solution to get working, such as Rendition as far as I know.

One of the issues with a lot of 32-bit games from that era is that InstallShield was widely used with a 16-bit launcher. 16-bit emulation works in DOSBox and its forks, but it is really spotty in non-DOS games is spotty. I have yet to successfully find or setup any of the available emulators out there to simply get these games to install.

I mean i get whats being said. At the same point why should they spend money to maintain something they dont make money on? Cutting support means they dont have to test or provide support on those platforms. While it might feel like a slap in the face, what percentage of their userbase are they really going to lose?

I still have a giant notebook of old games cds i havent gotten rid of, and yet havent touched them in 20 years but it still keeps moving with me lol.

I mean i get whats being said. At the same point why should they spend money to maintain something they dont make money on? Cutting support means they dont have to test or provide support on those platforms. While it might feel like a slap in the face, what percentage of their userbase are they really going to lose?

I still have a giant notebook of old games cds i havent gotten rid of, and yet havent touched them in 20 years but it still keeps moving with me lol.
They're largely cutting support because Google is no longer supporting the underlying Chrome tech for those versions of Windows. If anything, Valve is being (slightly) kind by giving users several months to plan their next move.

I generally agree, though — the notion that a software provider 'must' support your PC indefinitely is absurd. One of Microsoft's largest problems in recent years has been the consequences of its "legacy support at all costs" strategy. Until very recently, there were tons of businesses still using Windows 7... in part because it let them run XP Mode, which let them run old NT apps. The notion that computers can still run a 20-year-old game or database app is great, until you realize that it's holding back progress for both users and the company.

Back