STEAM can kiss my ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

The-Tmann

Supreme [H]ardness
Get this, I buy S-Episodes, (supposedly Epsode 1 with more to follow, but thats another BS story)
I play it, uninstall it and steam, and about 6 months latter sell it to someone, and the game won't run for him, says it's already registered? WTH?
If this is how STEAM works they suck, you can't sell a game you own, it's worthless to anyone else even after I uninstalled it?
so the DVD is a coaster or what?
...sigh....

you can't sell a WoW character without giving the account
same with steam, they need the account to play, not the game.

and it's againt ToS to sell it.

Did you not give him your account? Otherwise it'd be like him having a copy of the game, and you having a copy of the game. I guess you can see why the game developers/distributors would have a problem with this.

Get this, I buy S-Episodes, (supposedly Epsode 1 with more to follow, but thats another BS story)
I play it, unistall it and steam, and about 6 moths latter sell it to someone, and the game won't run for him, says it's already registered? WTH?
If this is how STEAM works they suck, you can't sell a game you own, it's worthless to anyone else even after I unistalled it?
so the DVD is a coaster or what?
...sigh....

You only need to register the game once. Im assuming the other person tried to register it again if hes getting that error. Once the game is registered the DVD is a coaster as its not needed to play.

actually that guy who bought the game needs to get the cdkey reset through valve support, which in turn may get your steam account disabled because your not really soposed to sell your games.

To me this is total BS. Anyone should be able to sell anything they buy. Essentially you are just renting it! Laws need to be changed! And they wonder why people pirate.

What's the difference from a piece of software from a car or toaster? Can you imagine not being able to sell anything you bought ever again! The Orwellian implications!

I see no problem with the way steam keeps games tied to an account, as a matter of fact its great.

It's just a side effect of how Steam works.

True, Steam sucks for reselling games. It does have a few advantages, though: since games are tied to your account, you can redownload games if you reformat, you can use your account anywhere, or you can let a friend use your account to try games out.

There is an (admittedly clunky) workaround: create a new account if you intend to resell the game later. Valve isn't blameless in this, though: they already have a "gift" mechanism for games, so it's not much of a jump to have a "transfer", when you lose access to game, and someone gets it in exchange. I guess they figure that providing game transfer isn't in their financial interest.

My God, you have to be kidding. What are they putting in the drinking water in your town?

Steam is the best thing since sliced bread. If you couldn't figure out that the license was associated to your account...:rolleyes: If you won't give him your account, then give him his money back.

I think a good idea, would be for VALVe to implement a "push to account" feature, where you can push a game/license to another Steam account.

I bought ET:QW, but I don't like it and don't play it. I'd love to give it to a friend, but i'm not giving up my Steam account with all my other games in it.

A Push To Account feature would be excellent, in my opinion and would be greatly received by the Steam community.

so can I set up another account once I give this one away?
WTH is wrong with selling a game I own??!?!?!??!
I own Doom3 I can sell it so tell me how much $ is id is losing
they seem like they are on the verge of closing down I can tell....sheesh
anyone who says STEAM is "good" is not thinking straight and should move to Russia

anyone who says STEAM is "good" is not thinking straight and shouldd move to Russia
According to some intellectual copyright fetishists, you are screwing id out of $50, or however the hell much that game costs now. By buying the game used instead of new from a retailer, the purchase gives absolutely no money to the developers. More people need to wake the hell up and realize exactly where gigantic corporations are trying to take copyright laws through lobbying - during the recent RIAA trial (the first one of its kind that went to trial, instead of the defendants balking at the potentially massive cost of legal counsel, not to mention damages) the head of the RIAA counsel basically said that copying a CD to make mp3s for a digital audio player was "a nice way of saying the user 'only stole one copy.'" That's right, music is no longer something you own, it's something you rent in physical form, according to multi-billion dollar conglomerates. And every other form of "intellectual property" (games, movies, etc.) is trying to move the same way in an attempt to "combat piracy." By hosting copies of the games on data servers, Valve can more easily get people to believe that they don't actually own the game when they buy it, they merely purchased the right to play the game, which can be revoked for any number of a myriad of reasons prohibited by Draconian end-user license agreements.

anyone who says STEAM is "good" is not thinking straight and shouldd move to Russia

Actually Steam is picking up, err, a steam. The number of games that are coming out on Steam gets bigger every day. I think Steam is great personally, and my thinking is just fine. I see no need for me to move to Russia.
You should have rtfm, or the faq, or the eula and got a clue about just what you were getting into with Steam. Steam is not for everyone, you for instance, somebody that resells their games.

Tip: If you plan to resell your games, don't buy them through Steam. :D

"Valve can more easily get people to believe that they don't actually own the game when they buy it, they merely purchased the right to play the game, which can be revoked for any number of a myriad of reasons prohibited by Draconian end-user license agreements." --------
You mean people like Gorankar and Luthor right?
WTH is wrong with you guys?!
First of all I didn't "buy it through Steam", I spent 10 minutes of time and $1.40 of gas and wear and tear on my car to drive to some gamestore (gamestop in this case)
STEAM was installed upon game install / download
so, I bought a box w/ DVD with "content" and paid for it.
and now, I have finished using that content, and am selling it to someone else.
You telling me that you AGREE with what they are trying to do?
if so you're nuts, you're attitude is part of what's wrong with our retail system and our corporations and ultimately America.
So, I have a old CD, and I don't listen to it, I'm supposed to throw it away right?
I can't sell it, that's cheating the dead artist and their heirs and whatever current media conglomerate owns the name now right?
WT#$^$ are you thinking?
If you buy it, you own it. I didn't lease it or rent it or borrow it. I paid for it.
Now, if it said, "good for 30 days and will expire, or good for X installs" (Bioshock anyone?, we all know how that went) then I could almost see it for what it is.
The fact is I don't have it installed anymore, I am not using it, and they can disable the game from downloading again if that's all it would take.
So, tell me what you think is right about them trying to supposedly control "thier" property, that they sold to me.
If they "sold" it to me for a reasonable price, maybe $9.99, I might be closer to falling for such massive BS, but freakin $29.99-49.99 is too much, a movie rental is only $2-3 so....

I, for one, believe that Steam-lovers should consider moving to Russia.

You telling me that you AGREE with what they are trying to do?
if so you're nuts, you're attitude is part of what's wrong with our retail system and our corporations and ultimately America.

I agree, innovation is what's ultimately wrong with America.

You still don't get it. What you're trying to do, whether you mean to or not, is create and sell a copy of your game. The discs really don't matter as much as the registration to your account of the game.

I agree that it's unfortunate that you can't transfer games from one steam account to another, but I understand why Valve doesn't really allow it. What you could do is create one account per Steam game you buy. Then if you want to sell a game, you sell the account that it's on, and the person only get what they paid for and you keep all the others games you want to keep.

And yes, theoretically Steam might represent the wave of an oppressive future by game developers. But in practice, most of us like Steam because its positives(no CDs, can redownload if you need to, a useful medium for buying and downloading games, etc.) outweigh its negatives(the difficulty of reselling games).

I'm not going to say Steam's perfect for us, since it'd be great to have more flexibility to sell games. But it's not the devil program you make it out to be. You just don't understand how it works, and because of that, you screwed someone out of a game.

The T-man said:
Oh and what do you do with your games with your done GOr, toss them? that's another thing wrong with america, the disposable attitide of what I am guessing is your generation

Oh, and this really has no place in any rational argument. If you expect some sort of reasoned response, don't write crap like this. And if you're just starting a thread to start a flame fest, go to another forum.

like i said, tell the guy who bought the game to get the cdkey reset through valve support.

good idea

And, the ? still stands, what do you do with the media you "rented" once you've played it?
you toss it or?

How about this scenario
what about the 13 yr. old kid in Podunk, Arkansas whos grammy gives him HL2 for Christmas
and he's got no intarweb hookup, cause he lives in a trailer on welfare w/ his divorced mom
he's screwed and you think that's an "innovation"?, and I don't understand STEAM?!
that's just so wrong on so many levels

Oh I understand it, and I agree it has some advantages to some people, but overall
some of you guys are still out there in "I love corporate america screwing consumers" land.

Are you honestly trying to tell me you think steam is better than buying a game and being able to install it from the media you bought? you're kidding right?
I know, let's do this the next time you want to "buy" a game ask youself what it is you are buying. I think you don't really understand what rights you have/had and what they are taking away from you

man, I think I may just pull out my copy of Far Cry that I bought and paid for and own and install it, since I can unplug my net connection and it still installs and works w/o it.

Oh gee, that's right, crytek went out of business from all the pirating, err...oops
I mean thay are now releasing the most anticpated game in the last year or so, looks like valve is a little greedy/paranoid/insert description here

geeeeez

Yeah, I do. Because of a lot of reasons:

If my hard drive fails 2 years down the road, I don't have to search for the discs and the CD-Key to reinstall a game. I simply login to steam and download it.

If I leave home for awhile and don't have a laptop, I can still play the games I paid for by downloading them from steam. I don't have to worry about carrying 10+ CDs and manuals with me.

If I tell someone a game's really cool and they should try it, I can let them play on my account from thousands of miles away they can see firsthand before buying what it's like.

Likewise, if I want to lend a game to a friend, it's just as simple.

I also don't have to worry about patching multiple games. They're automatically kept up to date.

The friends list is somewhat useful.

It provides the developers with useful information for developing next gen games. What do they need to plan for? etc. This, imo, results in more refined games than in the past.

Installing a game, even from a DVD, can still be a hassle compared to simply downloading one.

I agree that not being able to play a game without an internet connection to authenticate your game is a serious drawback for the small amount of people without internet connections.

I think you should take your own advice and understand what you're getting into before you spend your money. Everyone else here seems to understand the limitations and freedoms that apply to Steam.

[Edit:] Here's some anecdotal facts for you. I can't play BF2 now because I lost the first CD. I couldn't play Far Cry either for the last year or two because my play CD was lost. Oh, and that's after having to buy Far Cry for a second time because of disc issues.

[Edit:] Here's some anecdotal facts for you. I can't play BF2 now because I lost the first CD. I couldn't play Far Cry either for the last year or two because my play CD was lost. Oh, and that's after having to buy Far Cry for a second time because of disc issues.

ps i rip all my disks to images and put them on my HD and then I store my disks in a box :)

I didn't know you spoke for everyone else
Sorry I'll just read your posts from now on

like I said, some people
oh and you're violating your use agreement when you let someone play that game with "your" account "mr. I love steam"

seriosly, I think some of the good things about steam are legit
but how about people who's account get disabled by mistake?
there's plenty of those

and you like a company controlling what you can / can't do that's up to you
good for you, let them

I for one (and I'm sure some of the others here), don't

You're wrong, get over it. Its your fault for not researching things before selling your game. Get mad all you want, the blame is on you.

/thread

re: fallguy- you are just dumb

I'm not wrong or right or mad
Steam is what it is,
and if you think that letting them control your use is good = you (and anyone else that does) are wrong

The the 13 yr. old kid in Podunk, Arkansas shouldn't have even opened the box because it clearly says an Internet Connection is required for the game.

that's part of the problem
the "game" doesn't require it to play it at all
only to control you and your property that you piad for and people keep thinking somehow that's a good thing

Is this thread serious? I'm waiting to laugh, but maybe someone is being serious... :rolleyes:

How shitty is it to own the game Prey, only to lose the game manual which has the only key that allows you to install and also the only key that allows you to play multiplayer?? What do I do now? Find an illegal source for the key? How do I play multiplayer with someone else's key or a shared key?? If I had it through steam, I'd just have to download the game again, since all the serials and keys are tied to my account...

Also IMO the people that get their steam accounts banned for " No Reason " more than likely deserved it. Either they shared their account, cheated or somehow tried to bend the Steam rules and got caught... Steam doesn't just pick account names from a hat and then deletes them... sadly people think this.

I think a good idea, would be for VALVe to implement a "push to account" feature, where you can push a game/license to another Steam account.

I bought ET:QW, but I don't like it and don't play it. I'd love to give it to a friend, but i'm not giving up my Steam account with all my other games in it.

A Push To Account feature would be excellent, in my opinion and would be greatly received by the Steam community.

Yaa, cause then no one would have to buy games...just one of your buddies would have to and then you could all pass it around.

Kids....you don't own the software, you own a liscense to use it. The software is the intellectual property of the developer or publisher.

Seriously, just shut up and don't use STEAM then. Seriously. And while you're at it, you should boycott microsoft because you can't just sell someone windows because there are only so many licenses you can use. same goes for microsoft word. same goes for norton antivirus or ANY subscription or cd key based program. when YOU buy it, it's YOUR UNIQUE LICENSE. that's it. not "they're screwing you and not letting you sell the game". Read the EULA that you agreed to and then feel like an idiot.

Tool.

ALSO: I have personally had my steam account disabled for no reason, and all i had to do was email tech support...and guess what...THEY FIXED IT! If i had actually done something wrong, they probably wouldn't have helped me out.

hey apoxi thanks for your input, proving my point about the disabled account.

I just played one of about 50 games I own and guess what it can't be "disabled".
and saying shutup isn't polite you loudmouth =]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by The Donut

___________________________________________________________________________________________
THIS above, is a great idea and to think it isn't is where you and others are offbase

I'm making a point that you and 1/2 the people who've posted have missed
it's not about STEAM it's about what it represents and where things are headed

Seriously, just shut up and don't use STEAM then.
Why are people so opposed to others expressing their dissatisfaction with a product? It's a pretty common thing to do.

Some people don't like the fact that Valve has the power to deactivate their games.

I think it's because they're acting like we're too stupid to realize the pitfalls of Steam.

Do I understand that Valve can disable my account at any time? Sure. But so far I've had great experiences with Steam, it's saved me a ton of hassle, etc. Until Valve screws me over, I'm not going to complain about Steam, and I don't think I should be expected to do so.

I see no problem with the way steam keeps games tied to an account, as a matter of fact its great.

+1. If Valve sold/made shitty games it'd be a different story but I actually LIKE buying games through steam. I like the fact that I can download/install as many times as I want on as many PC's I want w/o having to get 500MB in patches, fiddling with six disks and finding a CD key.

Man. You couldn't have sold the game for more than $20 bucks. Give the dude back his $20 and move on...It's not the end of the world, and I'm sure you won't die without $20 extra bucks. If you think Steam's a ripoff, try going the to dentist sometime.

+1. If Valve sold/made shitty games it'd be a different story but I actually LIKE buying games through steam. I like the fact that I can download/install as many times as I want on as many PC's I want w/o having to get 500MB in patches, fiddling with six disks and finding a CD key.
QFT. You just detailed all the reason why I love Steam.

Rock&Roll, come on, at most $5-$10 dollars. If he found a fool that would be pay $20 he would have to be be a grifter and not a gamer.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back