STEAM can kiss my ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's certainly possible to have the best of both worlds.

There is a certain convenience to having a record of all the games that you have purchased, so that you can redownload them if desired, this is not what people are complaining about. What people are complaining about is that these games require Valve's consent to run, which is understandably an undesirable feature from the user's perspective.

Yea what Jimmy said
I like my games right here next to me in a drawer or on a shelf, not in some server at some mega-media corporation that can "disable" my account

A revival is among us! I actually like steam but anyway...

Yea what Jimmy said
I like my games right here next to me in a drawer or on a shelf, not in some server at some mega-media corporation that can "disable" my account

the odds of a company disabling your account just for the heck of it are the same odds that a person will come and rob your house at night of all your games.

Personally I love steam - I'm a fairly mobile person, and buying games though steam means I don't need to carry cd's with me - all I need is a high speed internet connection and my laptop.

I'm with ya, they wont let my credit card to go threw so then they tell me to email them my credit card information and account info ummm no.

I think it'd be great to be able to transfer my licenses to someone else, but I think Valve realizes that the ease of such a transfer could seriously impact their sales of single-players games...just pass it on to a friend over and over and over again. They'd have to limit the number of transfers or something to protect themselves from that sort of abuse, in which case you'd still have someone at the end of the line complaining they can't sell it.

I was very pleased to see they'd given me the ability to give away my spare license for HL2 and HL2:E1 that came with the Orange Box, since I already own those games. I have no idea who doesn't already have those, but it's a nice gesture since they gave me no other reasonable option to buy their new material without rebuying the old as well.

the odds of a company disabling your account just for the heck of it are the same odds that a person will come and rob your house at night of all your games.

Aside from buying the HL2 silver package via Steam, I have discs of everything I own in Steam. So even if Steam disappeared tomorrow I could get most of my games working in offline mode and LAN games. Best of both worlds, buy it, register it, download it. Don't even have to mess with dropping the disc in the drive.

I have never had problems with steam. Other than getting vacc'ed which of course was my own fault. But like others said, it's great to go to someone else's house and logon to my steam account and play my games there without having to lug a bunch of CD cases around. I can also "lend" my account to my friend without him driving 10 miles over to my house to pick up the game.

good idea

And, the ? still stands, what do you do with the media you "rented" once you've played it?
you toss it or?

How about this scenario
what about the 13 yr. old kid in Podunk, Arkansas whos grammy gives him HL2 for Christmas
and he's got no intarweb hookup, cause he lives in a trailer on welfare w/ his divorced mom
he's screwed and you think that's an "innovation"?, and I don't understand STEAM?!
that's just so wrong on so many levels

Oh I understand it, and I agree it has some advantages to some people, but overall
some of you guys are still out there in "I love corporate america screwing consumers" land.

Are you honestly trying to tell me you think steam is better than buying a game and being able to install it from the media you bought? you're kidding right?
I know, let's do this the next time you want to "buy" a game ask youself what it is you are buying. I think you don't really understand what rights you have/had and what they are taking away from you

man, I think I may just pull out my copy of Far Cry that I bought and paid for and own and install it, since I can unplug my net connection and it still installs and works w/o it.

Oh gee, that's right, crytek went out of business from all the pirating, err...oops
I mean thay are now releasing the most anticpated game in the last year or so, looks like valve is a little greedy/paranoid/insert description here

geeeeez

Well, do you actually think that a kid living with a mom in a trrailer would have a semi-decent PC, or his Grandma would actually get him HL2? :rolleyes:
I see your point precicely, but you have to understand that most people with a pc good enough to run half-life would have a mean of getting online once, if it will be with dialup, using somebody else's connection, or even school/library.

Think about it, how else could steam do this? They need you to register online in order to get your game working, that is how they are able to keep track, without that, their whole system would prove useless.

I have never had problems with steam. Other than getting vacc'ed which of course was my own fault. But like others said, it's great to go to someone else's house and logon to my steam account and play my games there without having to lug a bunch of CD cases around. I can also "lend" my account to my friend without him driving 10 miles over to my house to pick up the game.
Yeah, bringing along that 2 ounce DVD backup is way rougher than downloading 3 gigs..

When Valve goes out of business, I wonder where will steam users download their 10+ gigs worth of games from? I'd much ratehr have my 5 usd external hard drives to store my games rather than their servers in WA. And yeah, "use once and then discard" is the AMERICAN WAY!!!!

Yeah, bringing along that 2 ounce DVD backup is way rougher than downloading 3 gigs..

Well considering my Steam has more than 10 games that would equal way more than 2 ounces in cd cases. And my friend has cable so it doesn't take that long to download. I forget how long it took him but we started playing within 15 minutes.

TBH, I have no problems with steam, but bacups to DVD didn't work so well at restoring. The best way to backup steam is to copy and paste via windows, not using the internal backup function in steam.

Other than that....this thread really didn't need to be necro'd:eek:

When Valve goes out of business, I wonder where will steam users download their 10+ gigs worth of games from? I'd much ratehr have my 5 usd external hard drives to store my games rather than their servers in WA. And yeah, "use once and then discard" is the AMERICAN WAY!!!!

Do not think that it will happen anytime soon. I personally rarely play any of my older games anyway, loosing HL2 stuff anytime after 2010 is perfectly acceptable. :D

This T-Man guy sounds like the record execs stuck in the past century not understanding what digital media and digital rights really are.

When you bought the physical copy of the game, it doesn't matter what media it is on, you bought the registration/account to play the game. If you want to sell the game, you have to sell the account along with it. Is that so hard to comprehend?

If you are that concerned, then buy the X-Box 360 Orange Box and you can have a more traditional copy of the game.

you know how many games i have that are real "coasters" because of scratches? bf2, 2142, u2004 the list goes on and on. with steam you never have to put the disk in to play, you dont even need the disk. install steam loging in and download. i think its the best thing ever.

If you're concerned about Valve suddenly going out of business and you losing all of your games, you can back those games up. Just right click on the game in the Steam menu and select 'Backup Game Files.' You now have a hard copy of the game and can stop crying.

I like all the people in this thread complaining about the licensing terms and ToS for "Steampowered" games. Software licensing in general has worked like this for awhile now.

If you don't like the product (this includes the ToS), don't buy it. The end.

Get this, I buy S-Episodes, (supposedly Epsode 1 with more to follow, but thats another BS story)
I play it, uninstall it and steam, and about 6 months latter sell it to someone, and the game won't run for him, says it's already registered? WTH?
If this is how STEAM works they suck, you can't sell a game you own, it's worthless to anyone else even after I uninstalled it?
so the DVD is a coaster or what?
...sigh....

Yes, this is another reason why buying games online is not a really good idear.
There is many other reason, like no box and no manual for the same price.

And to abuse some more, look at EA. After a certain period of time, you can't redonwload the games you bought.

If the price was lower online, it would make sense, but it is not the case. I think it was the case in the days when I bought hl2.

the positive effects of steam are good and all but it really should be optional

I for one have never played a STEAM game and I'm proud of it. The more games that fall under Steams boot, the more clout they have to do as they please

Yes, this is another reason why buying games online is not a really good idear.
There is many other reason, like no box and no manual for the same price.

And to abuse some more, look at EA. After a certain period of time, you can't redonwload the games you bought.

If the price was lower online, it would make sense, but it is not the case. I think it was the case in the days when I bought hl2.

I bought bf2142 the day it came out. I re-downloaded it yesterday. So how is this true?

I for one have never played a STEAM game and I'm proud of it. The more games that fall under Steams boot, the more clout they have to do as they please

why is that something to be proud of? there are some damn good games on steam. you've never played HL2 or CSS?

Personally, I would never buy anything online from EA.
I bought Northern Strike and with all of the changes, it is sometimes a pain to get it downloaded.
Steam is a whole new story though. I bought HL2/CSS at release at BB and bought Orange Box Online as an addon to my account. I have had 0 issues with it, and downloading through them really beats going through 5 HL2 CD's. Downloads are always fast to me 900kbps usually :) and after it's 50% dloaded I can play my games. Steam is awesome IMO, being the very unorginized person that I am, would much rather have the ability to dload through Steam, since I do loose CD's sometimes.

There is a chance that one day our games will not be availiable through Steam, but I think I will take the chance, do not think it will happen in the next few years, and if it does happen say in 2012, those Steam games would be what, $5?

I wish people would quit bitching about steam. Stop using it if it is becoming an issue with you. It really isn't that bad of a system, and I like the fact that I can own multiple games and not have to have one damn cd or cd-key to remember for it. just a sign on and password for all of them.

I wish people would quit bitching about steam. Stop using it if it is becoming an issue with you. It really isn't that bad of a system, and I like the fact that I can own multiple games and not have to have one damn cd or cd-key to remember for it. just a sign on and password for all of them.

Indeed, the guy tried to sell his cd's without including his account info, how would that be fair?
It is against the EULA, but if you really wanted to, you could sell the account wihtout issues, just have to give your info.

why is that something to be proud of? there are some damn good games on steam. you've never played HL2 or CSS?

i have 2142 and bf2 both are all scratched up from leaving the disks out. can i download them and use my keys i already have?

steam has some great games your missing out. the only bad thing i have to say about steam is it likes to update alot and it always seems to be at a bad time. on the flip side of that my games are always up to date.

This post is entertaining.

Truth is, playing videogames is not vital to living. Therefore there are no government laws which protect how they are sold.

Valve is a corporation. When you are purchasing a game you enter a business deal with them. If you do not agree to their terms and conditions, do not even the business deal and do not pay them. Valve has a right to sell their product for what they want and how they want.

Backup 5-6 posts
that's the whole point, you DON'T own the games
if by some terrible problem STEAM was down, or valve closed down, your discs aren't worth shiz
now, what exactly do you own?
You buy a DVD of Crysis, and unplug your net connection and guess what?
it installs, and plays fine, like ANY game should
using the STEAM system just gives them the right to control you, the consumer
they didn't really sell you anything except a period of time to play the game THEY own, not you
I like owning games, I have a collection from the 80's onto today, and guess what?
99% install and play great, oooh but not the new Valve games,
they have to screw everyone because of their dropping the ball with the leak of HL2
at least that's my take, and like I said in the title....KMA if I can't buy a peice of media and install/use it w/o using some proprietary piece of code that connects me with a companys servers through a paid connection. It's just not right, and anyone who thinks otherwise needs to look at it from a different POV. I'm not saying there aren't benefits, I am saying you DON'T "own" Valve games, but other games you DO

As long as you don't break the steam agreement/EULA your lisence to your game(s) will never expire.

And Valve has said that if they ever went under they would release a patch so all of the games wouldn't need to connect to steam anymore.

To the OP, if you were planning on selling the game why would you register the game on steam? or if I misread buy it from steam?

Steam is a great service to the community, no other service is there that they allow streaming of all the content you have purchased and backed up for you to re download.

The delivery method is outstanding and plays a vital role to exposure of even new games that you would be unaware about if you were standing at a store shelved.

Lets just hope they have the same motto as google "do no evil", with a 15 million account user base I would hate to see it suddenly ad ridden, drm, only downloadable once service.

The thing I love most about steam is that you don't need to switch cd/dvd to switch to a different game. If anything all games should be on steam.

PS. At least its not Ea link, Ea dl mgr? now that is one shitty service.

Backup 5-6 posts
that's the whole point, you DON'T own the games
if by some terrible problem STEAM was down, or valve closed down, your discs aren't worth shiz
now, what exactly do you own?
You buy a DVD of Crysis, and unplug your net connection and guess what?
it installs, and plays fine, like ANY game should
using the STEAM system just gives them the rigth to control you, the consumer
they didn't really sell you anything except a period of time to play the game THEY own, not you
I like owning games, I have a collection from the 80's onto today, and guess what?
99% install and play great, oooh but not the new Valve games,
they have to screw everyone because of their dropping the ball with the leak of HL2
at least that's my take, and like I said in the title....KMA if I can't buy a peice of media and install/use it w/o using some proprietary piece of code that connects me with a companys servers through a paid connection. It's just not right, and anyone who thinks otherwise needs to look at it from a different POV. I'm not saying there aren't benefits, I am saying you DON'T "own" Valve games, but other games you DO

Actually steam can work in "Offline" mode, but good try.

Interesting argument.

When you buy some software, what you're actually buying is a licence to use a copy of that software, the licence isn't a material thing, but for years now we've traded material floppys/cds/dvds so we're kind of used to thinking that what we own is a copy of the software to do whatever we want with. We don't, legally speaking.

On the flip side of that coin, I absolutely hate the power valve have over the users who decide to use steam, I've bought more and more games over steam and actually my account is quite large now, which is getting me a bit worried. Valve is almost a faceless company so if theres ever a problem with my account and it's disabled then I'm screwed out of a LOT of money.

Anyway theres always alternatives which I am more than happy to fall back to should valve anger me in any way, so I guess at the end of the day it's not such a big deal.

Interesting argument.

When you buy some software, what you're actually buying is a licence to use a copy of that software, the licence isn't a material thing, but for years now we've traded material floppys/cds/dvds so we're kind of used to thinking that what we own is a copy of the software to do whatever we want with. We don't, legally speaking.

On the flip side of that coin, I absolutely hate the power valve have over the users who decide to use steam, I've bought more and more games over steam and actually my account is quite large now, which is getting me a bit worried. Valve is almost a faceless company so if theres ever a problem with my account and it's disabled then I'm screwed out of a LOT of money.

Anyway theres always alternatives which I am more than happy to fall back to should valve anger me in any way, so I guess at the end of the day it's not such a big deal.

I don't remember singing a contract when I bought a game dvd. So legally speaking, they sold me a dvd and everything in it. I don't recall an accept button is worth a signature either. Now this is my opinion, I know that by some laws(made by those who sell the stuff) probably say you are right about the license thing. The justice in my country appear to be fair only for the upper class, so I don't know why I should support it anymore.

You can backup your game with steam, there is an option for this.
Steam has success, blame the people, just like when people prefer the size of a monitor and the look over the quality of the picture. Just like when people prefer to pay the same price for nobox,nomanual,nocd. :rolleyes:

btw, why are we using an old thread of 4 months?

i've been on both sides. I have hated steam and loved it.

when I first bought half-life 2 I only had a 56k connection because they didn't offer DSL or Cable in my area(but mysteriously they could 3 miles away). one time I accidentely clicked on "keep this game updated" and I had to wait for DAYS to finish playing as I had to download several hundred megabytes at 2kb/s. I could almost scream, in fact I think I did.

now that I have my own apartment or when I was in the dorm, Steam is excellent. I have many games that I have lost cd's or relatives kids would come over and since I had video games they would tell me to set them up for them and when I would get back I would see that they would take cds out and just lay them on top of things or drop them, ect.

with steam I don't have to worry about anything now.

- don't have to search for patches
-when I do a reformat I make 1 manual download of steam and then I can pick and choose the games I want
-don't have to keep up with disks or protect them

I understand about not having control of your game. but the benefits steam has brought to gamers far outweigh the cons.

my biggest gripe now is if I go somewhere without a high-speed connection Im SOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back