Steam Big Picture mode sale (Games with controller support)

Try playing Burnout Paradise without a 360 controller on PC. Can't be done. True story.

I loved playing Burnout Paradise with my keyboard. Finished the game a few times... (Another fun thing that game ran well is 5x1 Portrait Eyefinity)

A controller is a compromise, but then again, what input device isn't?

Mouse--very accurate, common cause of rsi.
Keyboard--many keys, no analog input
trackball--more ergonomically correct, some loss in accuracy
controller--loss of accuracy, more convenience
Joystick-more accurate than controller or keyboard, low button density, often time digital buttons.

Wheels/Flight sticks -- more immersion, more control, no flexibility with genres, little flexibility in placement, extraordinarily high cost of entry when you want placement that is even remotely close to reality. Storage. Inability to travel. Need I go on?

And seriously, if you're going to argue on the platform of "accessory reasons" like the location you're going to play the game, I think you should reevaluate. The location I'm playing a game and my comfort level while playing is inherently important. I don't think anyone here is trying to argue a controller is more accurate than a mouse, the point is when an entire situation is taken into consideration, a controller is often a "better" solution for more people.

Last edited:
Now, to stay on topic:

Has anyone played Sonic: Generations? Seems really cheap and has a high metascore... I think I might have to add it to the backlog. :D

Great game if you're an old school Sonic fan (or even somewhat of a new school Sonic fan).

Each stage can be played either side scrolling 2D or behind the back 3D.
I've only played a few hours of the game but it's great. (I'm an old school Sonic fan but I did love Sonic Adventure 1)

CS GO is an awesome game, I've logged over 80 hours on it I don't use a 360 gamepad on it (although I did try it)

Didn't take long for this thread to turn into a shitstorm. I tried this feature out last night. It's really pretty cool. I'll stick to my kb/mouse however for most titles.

In for OMD2.

On the subject of couch gaming. One real obstacle I have not seen mentioned much is the fact that TV's are laggy as fuck. You don't notice much on some games, but anything that requires a mouse is pretty bad at least for my TV. Maybe this is a problem local to me and my set, but it seems pretty bad.

I tried this feature out last night. It's really pretty cool. I'll stick to my kb/mouse however for most titles.

Same here (well at least I brought it up, but still using my 2710m; didn't hook it up to my TV or anything).
The GUI is interesting for sure, very media center-esque.
I think it needs work though....looked very fuzzy to me, though maybe they run some sort of filters on the GUI so it isn't too sharp on a TV. I even checked to make sure it was running at my native res which it was.

Didn't take long for this thread to turn into a shitstorm. I tried this feature out last night. It's really pretty cool. I'll stick to my kb/mouse however for most titles.

In for OMD2.

On the subject of couch gaming. One real obstacle I have not seen mentioned much is the fact that TV's are laggy as fuck. You don't notice much on some games, but anything that requires a mouse is pretty bad at least for my TV. Maybe this is a problem local to me and my set, but it seems pretty bad.
I think it varies. From my understanding, as long as you have your PC/console set to the tv's native resolution, you're good. If there is any lag on my DLP, I don't notice it.

In for OMD2.

You may have to put your TV into a 'game mode' or turn off whatever image processing or other fun stuff it's doing. I know this was a problem early on for consoles when people started gaming on flatscreens. Many TVs now have an option to disable their own processing that causes lag.

With regards to Steam's Big Picture in general, I really like it. It looked fine on my TV and the controller interface is really pretty nifty with the 'daisy wheels' for typing. I hope there are more integrated features or deals on things like blu-ray player software in the works. ;)

So we have the die hard kbm crowd saying that digital controls beat out analog directional controllers for steering. We have some real non gamers in this forum.

Funny thing is, they argue that a mouse is so great in FPS because of precision but they'd rather stick with their guns and argue that a shitty non precise controller like a keyboard is great for racing games.

So we have the die hard kbm crowd saying that digital controls beat out analog directional controllers for steering. We have some real non gamers in this forum.

Funny thing is, they argue that a mouse is so great in FPS because of precision but they'd rather stick with their guns and argue that a shitty non precise controller like a keyboard is great for racing games.

Wow, did someone actually say that KB/M is better for racers?

Wow, did someone actually say that KB/M is better for racers?

nah nah, i dont think anyone said that. a couple people just said they managed to beat burnout using kb/m. second guy even said it wasnt easy, but he learned to play with it. so yeah i think everyone is in agreement that kb/m is better for some situations and controllers are better for others. the only person who has said otherwise is rudy who said "All those games are still better played not on controllers." which is an opinion, not something he can speak for the rest of us on. if he said "... if sitting in a chair playing by yourself at a desk." then i might even agree with him. in that situation kb/m or joystick or wheel/pedals are going to be more accurate and more immersive. but if youre playing with friends locally or just kicking back on the couch then i for one still prefer a controller.

and as great as joysticks and wheels can be, i just dont have the room or money or need for either one for my gaming purposes.

In for OMD2.

It is a common problem with very high variability. First you are probably never going to find any TV that responds as well as good monitors, certainly not as well as 120hz monitors and CRTS. But that said you can find some TVs that are much better than others and some TVs come with a gaming mode that reduces input lag, you should enable this.

A controller is a compromise, but then again, what input device isn't?

Mouse--very accurate, common cause of rsi.
Keyboard--many keys, no analog input
trackball--more ergonomically correct, some loss in accuracy
controller--loss of accuracy, more convenience
Joystick-more accurate than controller or keyboard, low button density, often time digital buttons.

Wheels/Flight sticks -- more immersion, more control, no flexibility with genres, little flexibility in placement, extraordinarily high cost of entry when you want placement that is even remotely close to reality. Storage. Inability to travel. Need I go on?

And seriously, if you're going to argue on the platform of "accessory reasons" like the location you're going to play the game, I think you should reevaluate. The location I'm playing a game and my comfort level while playing is inherently important. I don't think anyone here is trying to argue a controller is more accurate than a mouse, the point is when an entire situation is taken into consideration, a controller is often a "better" solution for more people.

So long as you do not try to push a controller off as a superior device I am fine with that. As for comfort, sure depends on how you look at it. I find it very comfortable to play soccer laying down, does not mean my team or anyone I play with thinks I am actually playing the game or wants me on their team.

In for Space Marine. Been meaning to pick that up for a while, and only now has it hit my threshold. Glad to help out THQ right now as well.

Btw, love big picture. Have it on 2 htpcs in my house. Wish it had tv/movies on it as well.

Now, to stay on topic:

Has anyone played Sonic: Generations? Seems really cheap and has a high metascore... I think I might have to add it to the backlog. :D

Yes, I had it hooked up to my 46" 240hz Samsung and it was visually stunning. Game play was lots of fun on my wireless controller. When it switches between side scroller and 2d mode was impressive. I could care less about the story, but was very happy with it.

Left 4 Dead is a good one as well, thinking about grabbing a couple of those copies.

edit
I got at least one. Might use this one for my g/f to play.

I've had it hooked up to my 46" tv as well, l4d/l4d2. It was fun to play but was so fast moving that it was sensory overload. lots of fun. best of luck.

Yes, Sonic Generations is a great game provided you have an Xbox controller. It would be really hard to play with a kbm.

Almost all FPS and RTS play better with mouse/keyboard, but so many games are just as good or not better with a controller.

So long as you do not try to push a controller off as a superior device I am fine with that. As for comfort, sure depends on how you look at it. I find it very comfortable to play soccer laying down, does not mean my team or anyone I play with thinks I am actually playing the game or wants me on their team.

Again who is seriously playing with a 360 controller vs a kbm? No one is going to go online and play CS 7.1b with a controller. It's there for casual convenient play. Your bringing in competitive multilayer when it's not the people being discussed.

Again who is seriously playing with a 360 controller vs a kbm? No one is going to go online and play CS 7.1b with a controller. It's there for casual convenient play. Your bringing in competitive multilayer when it's not the people being discussed.

People play seriously all the time. Maybe they aren't playing online shooters, mmos, or rts', but people use the controller as their main input for a number of games. Are you saying that all people not using a keyboard mouse by default are non-serious gamers? I know some people that rape with a controller in halo, but according to you they are non serious because they use that device...

I use a controller for all racing games as a KBM sucks for racing games.

People play seriously all the time. Maybe they aren't playing online shooters, mmos, or rts', but people use the controller as their main input for a number of games. Are you saying that all people not using a keyboard mouse by default are non-serious gamers? I know some people that rape with a controller in halo, but according to you they are non serious because they use that device...

Serious competition level play no one is using a controller to compete against anyone using a kbm. That's all I'm saying, if people get leagues together to play Halo 4 then that's great, but they almost always have rules governing input usage for a reason. As long as it's universal across the board you can be as serious as you want.

My entire point is people are simply not going to be using steam big picture from the couch using a controller to compete against 3D, ske, x6,NiP,etc in CAL I.

The whole point of the thread is to focus on that demographic, not the elitist circle jerk that somehow spawned from a simple sale thread.

Bought the new Spiderman game. I am such a sucker for playing as the Web Head. Runs super smooth on my 480gtx. Game looks awesome, too.

A couple of pleasant surprises last night to report.
1st. Rocketbirds Hardboiled Chicken. This shit is fun. Polished. Like a mix of Shadow complex and Oddworld maybe.
2nd. Warhammer 40k Space Marine. I was really surprised. Looks good, plays good, lots of fun.
That is all.

I will be surprised if Valve doesn't oull together a hardware box to go with this.
I would consider a box that does netflix, runs steam games and actually doesn't suck.

Also, if I can play on my PC or TV even better.

A couple of pleasant surprises last night to report.
1st. Rocketbirds Hardboiled Chicken. This shit is fun. Polished. Like a mix of Shadow complex and Oddworld maybe.
2nd. Warhammer 40k Space Marine. I was really surprised. Looks good, plays good, lots of fun.
That is all.

Does Space Marine give you weird swatter errors when launching from Big Picture or Advance Launcher?

Has anybody here jumped on Sine Mora? If so does the game use the Kalypso account DRM?

Has anybody here jumped on Sine Mora? If so does the game use the Kalypso account DRM?
i did .. what a great game!!! one of the best shmups i've played so far.. I haven't noticed any 3rd party DRM or i hadn't had to login to anywhere else

I will be surprised if Valve doesn't oull together a hardware box to go with this.

yeah, i am with you. there isn't enough controller oriented pc gamers to make this worthwhile. it is most likely, i would think, for the new android platform i've heard about. irregardless, i don't use controllers on a pc so i could care less about big picture - if i want to use a controller i will use a console; i just want steam to give me unimpeded access to the games i have paid for whenever i want.

My guess Valve's hardware box will just be a box to stream your desktop the the TV. And if they really do a stand alone console, it won't be playing games made for Windows.

My guess Valve's hardware box will just be a box to stream your desktop the the TV. And if they really do a stand alone console, it won't be playing games made for Windows.

gotta be more than that. if i want to stream to my tv (idk why i would) but i could just go minidisplay to hdmi. done.

Back