Steam beta introduces option to change install locations!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...-built-way-to-choose-steam-install-locations/

Finally! One less thing for GoldenTiger to complain about when he is staunchly defending EA/Origin by attacking steam. :D

A problem with offline mode was also apparently fixed in a patch released on 20 August 2012.

Huh? I've been using the "mklink /j" command quite happily when needed to move installed games ;) some of us aren't neophytes at computers y'know. I don't "defend EA/Origin by attacking Steam", I just point out stupidity and blind faith when I see it ;). I find it pretty hilarious that weeks later, you're still posting about such a minor thing, though.... :eek: .

I thought about using this to more my DOW2R install to the SSD. The remembered that everyone else will still take as long to load. :(

Will probably move some of the more used games over (just not that one), it's a good feature, and is simpler than symbolic links (and only took two valve months for them to add :D).

Finally!

Junctions work for the most part, but when they fail it can be non-obvious. I had a Krater update fail due to having it junktioned off. Steamtool also doesn't handle Valve titles that have most of their resources in a file in the steamapps root instead of a separate directory.

*immediately clicks purchase on that SSD sitting in his amazon cart.*

Not kidding.

finally.. Now I can use my SSD for my future fav steam game.. which probably Borderlands 2 :)

Been using steammover to get around hti sproblem for a while.

It will be nice to have it officially supported though.

Only took a few years... At least it should be a little faster to do now.

Only mmo & MP games get ssd realestate for me.

Nice... one of the features I love in Origin.. Now coming to Steam.

huh? I have been doing this forever. did not even no it was an issue? anyway, cool I guess.

Not seeing the connection between this feature and SSD's ... don't you want your games saved on SSD? Loading times can be much faster.

Not seeing the connection between this feature and SSD's ... don't you want your games saved on SSD? Loading times can be much faster.

Most steam folders are bigger that todays SSD's capacity.
Mine is 387GB.

This feature is so I dont have to buy a retarded expensive SSD to store all my steam games on one drive.
Been using steam mover, but this will definitely be better in the long run

Most steam folders are bigger that todays SSD's capacity.
Mine is 387GB.

This feature is so I dont have to buy a retarded expensive SSD to store all my steam games on one drive.
Been using steam mover, but this will definitely be better in the long run

But why do you need so many games installed? Are you playing over 50 games at once?

But why do you need so many games installed? Are you playing over 50 games at once?

Actually yeah I'm moody. I like having all my games available in case I have an urge to play something.

For me all my MP stuff will go on this, mainly BF3, CSGO, TF2 and a couple other things. Then most other things will go on my other drive. When most of my Steam games are installed it takes up a terrabyte.

No, but not everyone has ultra-fast connections. If I want to play the game, I won't wait 2 days till I can get it :)

Then copy the game folder to a normal platter drive, and then just copy it back to the SSD when you want to play it for a given weekend/whatnot? It takes all of a couple of minutes on modern hardware to copy a full, large game back/forth as wanted.

Then copy the game folder to a normal platter drive, and then just copy it back to the SSD when you want to play it for a given weekend/whatnot? It takes all of a couple of minutes on modern hardware to copy a full, large game back/forth as wanted.

What the hell are you on about? Why are you even arguing? Do you really think copying things around manually is better than simply being able to install shit wherever you want without involving external tools, and just have it supported and work? WTF.

What the hell are you on about? Why are you even arguing? Do you really think copying things around manually is better than simply being able to install shit wherever you want without involving external tools, and just have it supported and work? WTF.

Huh? I was telling the guy a way to avoid having to re-download stuff that won't fit on his SSD. No one here was arguing, except you. What's your problem?

Legitimate question.
I don't completely understand the point of this. You are taking time (time to copy ex. 2-5 minutes) to save time (5-30 seconds load time based on game). It seems kind of counterproductive. Maybe I'm missing something?

More on topic.

Eh, whatever.

Legitimate question.
I don't completely understand the point of this. You are taking time (time to copy ex. 2-5 minutes) to save time (5-30 seconds load time based on game). It seems kind of counterproductive. Maybe I'm missing something?

More on topic.

Eh, whatever.

SSD's also reduce/eliminate load hitching during gameplay, especially important for MMO's and large maps in some games. I was saying that it is an alternative to simply re-downloading the entire game ;).

can we move installed game?

i think this is a better question.

while it's great that steam has incorporated this feature available to essentially all software for decades, the flexibility to move the install would be more exciting.

'steamtool' (& mlink) is a great little util, as it's been mentioned, it doesn't work for every stream game.

personally i have several storage tiers for my games, SSD for recently purchased games, platter disk for older less frequently played games. then steam archived games in 3rd platter disk in local PC & finally NAS for the really old archived stuff.

I can't play any Stalker games on a spinning hard drive after playing them on an SSD. This is a handy tool, but it means I have to un-weave my existing network of symbolic links that I already use. I'm not even sure I'll bother.

This is what I do, with a 120Gb SSD I finish a game and copy the steam installation directory to a 2Tb archive drive, purely to avoid the wait for downloading in future and then just uninstall the game. I don't feel the need to try and install every game, with over 270 games on steam it's not really practical.

I don't really see the point in installing game files outside the SSD, you just lose the performance benefit and honestly 120Gb is enough for an OS and whole bunch of games that I play regularly plus a few extra single players I'm working through.

Adding a hidden setting inside a hidden dev console can hardly be described as "introducing" a feature.

And why did it take them so long? Too busy making TF2 hats and rolling around in money? "Better late than ever!", the Hammer Legion will say. Too bad that excuse is conveniently forgotten in their blind hatred and bashing of Origin.

But alas, why bother.

Wait, I thought we could always do this with sym links... I have been doing it for years with no problems...

Glad to see it becoming part of the client finally though.

Sweet!! Finally. I'll be able to install a couple of my games from another HD. Thanks....

Good to know, when will it come official or non-beta though? Used junction links a couple of times without issue. Steam mover thing never worked right for me though and the games I tried.

Just got a Sandisk Extreme 240GB just for games installed yesterday :rolleyes:

Will probably look into having some games installed on the WD Black 640GB that don't get played often or are in backlog que.

That just mike work really nicely. Steam doesn't get mad if it doesn't find it's files?

Good to know, when will it come official or non-beta though? Used junction links a couple of times without issue. Steam mover thing never worked right for me though and the games I tried.

Just got a Sandisk Extreme 240GB just for games installed yesterday :rolleyes:

Will probably look into having some games installed on the WD Black 640GB that don't get played often or are in backlog que.

Soonish rather than later weeks maybe? It's not closed beta or anything. I've got it going now. You just opt in on settings. works fine. Steam will just automatically update in a week or two with it as a normal feature.

Valve is pretty secretive. The real beta probably happened months and months ago. I want my SSD to hurry up and get here so I can start splitting things up.

That just mike work really nicely. Steam doesn't get mad if it doesn't find it's files?

Nope, it says nothing unless you try launching the game, at which point it tries to reinstall it. Of course you can just say no and copy manually when you want to, restart steam, voila.

Need has nothing to do with it. Why shouldn't I have all my games installed at once? Do I need your permission for that? I install them, and leave them installed, because I want to.

Need has nothing to do with it. Why shouldn't I have all my games installed at once? Do I need your permission for that? I install them, and leave them installed, because I want to.

Not sure what you're ranting about, but if you want to have them installed you'll need a big enough drive for that ;). Note that your desire to have them all installed is a *WANT*, not a need, since you don't appear to understand that.

Not sure what you're ranting about, but if you want to have them installed you'll need a big enough drive for that ;). Note that your desire to have them all installed is a *WANT*, not a need, since you don't appear to understand that.

I'm not sure what you're on about, as not only do I and many others have a drive big enough to hold our games, but my reply quoted an individual who seemed to be criticizing others for wanting to have more than a couple of games installed at once.

By the way, I'm not sure which part of "want" you don't understand, but I clearly stated I WANTED to keep my games in stalled. It was not a long post, I don't know how you missed it. Here, I'll bold the relevant part of my post in case you're still confused:

Back