steam and 720x480

Dasimpson

Gawd
hi my system is the one in the sig.
when i load games that i have downloaded on steam they start and run at 720x480.
any idea why steam sets such a low res and most likley detail also ty

the 2 games i have are set by default to 720x480 that have been downloaded thru steam

tf2 portal and fallout 3 have done it i can change them in game
i was just wonting to know if steam ran a system check or somthing steam auto config sets games for 720x480

and when you go to change graphics options they not the stand alone game options they are thru steam as all the games have the same options view

and if steam does not control game settings then why is it always reset back to 720x480 every time i load the game this kinda tells me that steam does control graphics options

and if steam does not control game settings then why is it always reset back to 720x480 every time i load the game this kinda tells me that steam does control graphics options

STEAM DOES NOT SET THE RESOLUTION OF THE GAME.

It defaults to 720x480 because that is the lowest supported resolution for those games that works on your monitor. If you had an old CRT monitor, it would default to 800x600 or 1024x768...depending on the game.

Also, what is the resolution of your monitor set to? If your monitor is set to 720x480 in the windows or video card control panel, the game might switch back to that resolution each time you start it back up.

Oddly enough this happened to me once too, except it was with just one game(Company of Heroes). I was quite pissed but after a while it randomly disappeared. So I guess give it a few days and if it keeps doing it then its messed up.

IMO, it's probably just the config file being overritten every time you finish, like a file permission error?

no that dident work i disabled it opened game set res closed the game started game again and res was back to 720 got to be a glitch in steam

that maybe so i have games that are nothing to do with steam they work fine but the 3 games i do have on steam have same problem make your own deductions to that but it tells me it summin to do with steam

Maybe the game got updated wrong or something from steam or a permission is messed up.

I really don't know what to tell you. If you've disabled steam cloud, there's nothing that Steam would be doing to change your game's settings.

I really don't know what to tell you. If you've disabled steam cloud, there's nothing that Steam would be doing to change your game's settings.

Not only that, TF2 doesn't use Steam cloud by default, iirc. Everything is stored online, like charactor info, but not in the Steamworks cloud function.

from what i read game settings are kept in the cloud like aa settings sounds controls etc

yeah thats why i was asked to disbale that incase the cloud wasent been updated starting to think of scrapping steam if this going to be the problem im serching every thread on steam trying to see if other have had this problem

It's obviously not Steam that's the problem, but you go right on ahead and continue to blame it. Search google for any sort of problem that's similar, and all you'll get is this thread. You're the only person with the problem; there's something else going on here that's keeping your games set at that resolution.

Have you tried reinstalling the games? Do you have games that don't have this problem?

as i said befor games that i did not get with steam work fine only games i get thru steam have this problem

You're not giving enough information to solve the problem. You're just going around in circles blaming Steam, but Steam does not set your game's resolution at any point in time, ever. The only thing that could happen would be Steam overwriting your config with one that's stored on the Steam cloud, but that can't be happening if you turned Steam cloud off.

kick it..

cant say i have ever had this happen, i do know running games dfor the first time like CS:S results in me having to set the resolution if i format my rig.

and when you go to change graphics options they not the stand alone game options they are thru steam as all the games have the same options view

Say wha? I dont quite get what you're saying, are you saying that the game options screen for all the games look the same? That is not right, I'm pretty sure the menu options screen for Fallout 3 would be different to that of TF2 and Portal. Is that what you're trying to say?

Maybe he is confusing Steam with Valve

I have at least... more than three games bought through Steam.

Team Fortress 2 - adjust resolution after starting the game and going to the options WITHIN THE GAME. So that means I have set it to windowed mode at some stupid resolution like 800x480 just because I like to play like that

Grand Theft Auto San Liberty episode or something - adjust resolution after starting the game and going to the options WITHIN THE GAME. Unfortunately I couldn't get windowed mode working

SimCity4 - Adjust the resolution from within the game, HOWEVER I needed to right click the game in Steam and change the target path in order to add the ability to go into windowed mode since game does not present this as an option in game.

Deus Ex Human Revolution - Adjust the resolution from within the game, I enjoyed the story I didn't even think about windowed mode

Red Orchestra 2 - Adjust resolution from within the game

WITHIN THE GAME

DO YOU SEE A PATTERN HERE

PS I have noticed a lot of SHITTY games don't support most of the 'interesting' resolutions of today, which are native and if you aren't using native resolution on a panel, it looks UGLY. FUCK lazy developers.

Are your video card drivers up to date? The only other common denominator here is the Steam overlay (the utility that lets you shift-tab to bring up your Steam friends list etc). If your drivers are old or something, it might be messing with the way the overlay interacts with each game.

PS I have noticed a lot of SHITTY games don't support most of the 'interesting' resolutions of today, which are native and if you aren't using native resolution on a panel, it looks UGLY. FUCK lazy developers.

What games and what resolutions?

Many games get resolution lists from your GPU drivers. So if the option is available in your drivers it'll be available in game.

But yeah, I have around 80 games on steam and have never had an issue with resolutions resetting to default except I think for demos, never for full games certainly.

But anyway, keep giving us more details, your system specs, what drivers are you using, is steam up to date, are the games up to date, try verifying the cache for each game (right click on the game in steam -> properties -> local files -> verify), are you doing something weird like running in safe mode. Tell us the exact procedure you are using to change resolution. If it doesn't appear to be a common problem we need more info.

Have you done anything odd to your My Documents folder, such as move its location or change file permissions? The preference file for Fallout 3 are located in My Documents\My Games\Fallout3 . You should have Fallout.ini and FalloutPrefs.ini. If those those files can't be written to, the resolution and other settings aren't going to be saved.

Have you done anything odd to your My Documents folder, such as move its location or change file permissions? The preference file for Fallout 3 are located in My Documents\My Games\Fallout3 . You should have Fallout.ini and FalloutPrefs.ini. If those those files can't be written to, the resolution and other settings aren't going to be saved.

This and the other people repeatedly saying to run Steam as Admin to try should be correct. Steam in no way shape or form sets your graphics settings outside of saving some config files per game for later installs. If you change something in-game and it doesn't save it is likely a permissions error. RUN AS ADMIN before you do anything else like has been stated before.

Back