Steam 2014 Winter sale is here! runs from December 18th to January 2nd.

I swore I wasn't adding to my backlog, buy picked up Final Fantasy XIII. They patched in better resolution support and I wanted to support future releases coming to PC since there was a long time between 7/8 coming to oc in the 90's and them finally putting these more recent releases on PC.

What? Ff7 went to PC 7 months after it was released in the US.

He didn't state anything contrary, 7 come out in 1997, which is 90's. He meant how long it took for another FF game to appear on the PC (90's to 2014' IS a bloody long time).

I would go with even a small 128 GB SSD over this program. How much RAM do you have versus 128 GB of SSD space?

16GB currently. I have a 256GB 840 Pro as my boot drive but haven't installed any Steam games to it.

I would do neither considering there's literally no reason for 99% of games to even exist on a fast drive at all.

Load times. Apparently they all but disappear when running from a RAM drive. All of my games are currently on a 4TB spinner...if that program goes on sale for $10-$15 it would seem like a small price to pay to eliminate loading screens.

Except you have a couple minutes of pre-load time before you play a game, where the files are being loaded into RAM. That is, of course, assuming you can even fit the entirety of the game files in RAM in the first place. So really you are just shifting the load time to a longer one on the front end rather than small ones during the game.

Except you have a couple minutes of pre-load time before you play a game, where the files are being loaded into RAM. That is, of course, assuming you can even fit the entirety of the game files in RAM in the first place. So really you are just shifting the load time to a longer one on the front end rather than small ones during the game.

Understood, I just thought it would be neat to play around with. The reason it caught my interest is that it's the first RAM drive software that integrates seamlessly with Steam, where I have 98% of my games. Let's be honest; load times for most games on PC aren't a huge deal - certainly better than what I remember on consoles - but it would be nice to see them disappear altogether. I wouldn't buy the software at the current price but like I said, if it was deeply discounted it could be fun to experiment with.

The one game I played from ssd was rage, with all that crazy texture loading. Silly that turning 180 degrees dumps the textures behind me, when the system has 16GB ram and 6GB vram, and the game is only 23GB total.

I pretty much sat out during this X-mas sale. :( Let's see if they have a spring sale before the summer sale. The latter better have GTA 5 for half price ($30) or less. :p

since we're all talking about steam games and IO performance.. I have my steam install linked to a 500G velociraptor which does a decent job but I added a 240G intel 530 and install any games to that which benefit from faster access and bw.. Eventually I'll put the whole thing on a 1tb ssd but this works fine for now.

ramdisk is a whole other level of performance.. like next to zero load times once the data is in the ramdisk.

Back