Steam 2014 Winter sale is here! runs from December 18th to January 2nd.

Not this year. Several games were cheaper before the encore sale. Must be a new strategy to screw over the last day holdouts.

The Encore has always been a selection of previous daily deals, but not all of them. If a game you want is a daily, community, or flash sale title buy it. Don't wait expecting it to get cheaper or reappear later.

The Encore has always been a selection of previous daily deals, but not all of them. If a game you want is a daily, community, or flash sale title buy it. Don't wait expecting it to get cheaper or reappear later.
I seem to remember the encore sale in past years having all of the daily deals back at the lowest sale prices. Guess I was wrong.

I seem to remember the encore sale in past years having all of the daily deals back at the lowest sale prices. Guess I was wrong.

Maybe the first year when they didn't have all the Flash and Community stuff but pretty sure the last few years it's been a selection of titles.

This year I got the following from Steam:

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Trine 2
Batmam Arkham Origins - Cold, Cold Heart DLC
Deus Ex GOTY
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut
Portal 2
Bulletstorm
Darksiders II
Saints Row IV - Game of the Century Edition
Far Cry Franchise Pack
Terraria
Bioshock Infinite
Bioshock Infinite - Season Pass
Just Cause 2 DLC
Mark of the Ninja
FTL: Faster Than Light

Total - $70

... and the following from other sources:

Tomb Raider
Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY
Batman: Arkham City GOTY
Batman: Arkham Origins
Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeros
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Mass Effect Trilogy
Dragon Age: Origins
Hotline Miami
Skyrim Hearthfire, Dawnguard, & Dragonborn
Dragon Age II
Metro Last Light Redux

Total for everything (steam and other sources) - $137.31

I may have gotten a little carried away since I've been out of the gaming loop for the past few years but for less than $4 per item/game it's hard to argue and these will hold me over for a while.

Only bought one, flight simulator x steam edition even though I already own the disc version.

Flaming Cliffs 3
Euro Truck Simulator 2 - Going East!
Euro Truck Simulator 2 - High Power Cargo Pack
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Premium Edition
Tales from the Borderlands
Mafia II DLC Joe's Adventures
Mafia II DLC - Jimmys Vendetta
Borderlands 2: Headhunter 3: Mercenary Day
Borderlands 2: Headhunter 2: Wattle Gobbler
Borderlands 2 Headhunter 1: Bloody Harvest
Borderlands 2 Creature Slaughterdome DLC
Borderlands 2: Headhunter 5: Son of Crawmerax
GRID Autosport - Black Edition Pack
Tomb Raider: Headshot Reticle
Tomb Raider: Animal Instinct
Tomb Raider: Agility Skill
Tomb Raider: Tomb of Lost Adventurer
Tomb Raider: Pistol Silencer
Tomb Raider: Pistol Burst
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Retail
Company of Heroes 2 - Ardennes Assault: Fox Company Rangers
GRID Autosport
Verdun
GRID Autosport Season Pass
3DMark Advanced
Company of Heroes 2 - US Forces
Company of Heroes 2 - Ardennes Assault Retail (RoW)
Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations
Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition

Probably a little south of $150.

Maybe the first year when they didn't have all the Flash and Community stuff but pretty sure the last few years it's been a selection of titles.

It was only one year I'm pretty sure then they went to the daily deals repeated on the last day now just a selection. Considering how often they do these sales I'm pretty over all of it.

Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition
Shadow Warrior
Valiant Hearts: The Great War
Space Run

Blood bowl I'm having trouble figuring out how to play.

Shadow warrior has been on my to do list for a while
Valiant hearts started out ok but not as into it as I hoped I'd be but I felt the same way about Walking Dead and Wolf among us

Space Run I've wanted for a while just been obsessing over CSGO lately and too busy to play.

Only bought Arma 3 and The Binding of Isaac bundle. Already have gotten 10 hours out of Arma, so it was a pretty easy $30 to spend. 60 cents for BoI was a no-brainer as well.

I ended up with E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy, Zeno Clash and the Introversion Complete Pack(Darwinia, Uplink, Defcon, and Multiwinia plus a couple of soundtracks). I'm learning to wait until 90% off if its a game I may not get to right away, seeing Shadowrun Returns Deluxe for as low as $2.49 made me wince a bit after paying almost triple that. I've become more of a collector than a player at this point :p

Blood bowl I'm having trouble figuring out how to play.

Not that difficult. Easy rules. Ya got movement, agility, strength, and armor. Die rolls break down as follows:

If even strength, roll 1 die, roller chooses.
If below strength, roll 2 dice, person getting attacked chooses.
If above, roll 2 dice, roller chooses.
If either above or below by more than two times strength, add a die.

You gain 1 strength if more than one unoccupied person is beside you. The more the better.

Now, die rolls.

Skull - failure
Explosion with exclamation - Knock down with a push back
Explosion empty - knock down with a push back
explosion and skull - knock both attacker and victim down where they are
Arrow - push back in direction of choice

Skills can modify the results (e.g. Block avoids explosion and skull result for the person who has it, Dodge makes explosion with exclamation a push back, etc.), but the primary goal is to not get knocked down. Nothing avoids skulls or the empty explosion. Knock down triggers an armor roll of 2d6 plus the strength of the person hitting you. So if it's a treeman, mummy or an ogre, watch out.

You get one blitz a turn. Blitz being a movement before a hit. Use wisely. Always look to push out of bounds because that triggers an armor roll.

Ball carrying should be pretty obvious.

Everyone only gets one action a turn and you get 16 turns. Whoever has the highest score wins. You can also win if your opponent has less than 3 people during a kickoff. Believe me, that can happen.

Once you get the hang off skills, it's pretty simple stuff and really tactical. You can get some fun stuff going with different skills and mutations. Anything else?

Damage was minimal this year

Don't starve
Dark souls 2

And I have 5 hours to make a final decision on stick of truth and prison Architect

I thought goat simulator was a joke, is that a real game? WTF?

Goat simulator, seriously? What's next, Giraffe simulator?

I did not purchase any game during the Steam sale even though several games I wanted like Contagion and Outcast were at the magic $5 price. My backlog is just too large to bother with buying games anymore. But I purchased Starcraft II and its expansion along with COD BLOP2 and Ghosts during Black Friday. Set me back ~ $40. My rationale for the purchase is these games with the exception of Ghost are not usually on sale and Starcraft has not gone below $10 AFAIK.

In case anyone didn't post it yet...Shadow of Mordor is 40% off. Amazing game and a good price.

Didn't get much of anything. FSX, DCS MIG-21 (gift actually, not through Steam), and one other thing.

Wanted to try Wargame Red Dragon, but it was too much for me. Was hoping for $5. I hardly play RTS games and figured I would be so bad at it that I would only try it 3-4 times and didn't want to spend $20 on something that would never get played. :p X Rebirth? Too expensive, not sure how it is in its current state either.

Otherwise I didn't see much of anything that interested me this sale. I suppose that is a good thing. :D

Oops, I knew the sale was ending today, but not at 10AM, meant to do some shopping after lunch.

Here is my haul for this year. Was tempted by a few others but did a good job of limiting myself do to my already huge backlog

Euro Truck Simulator 2 - Christmas Bundle
The Walking Dead Season 2
Bastion
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition

Ended up just being Dragonfall and a friend grabbed me Dont Starve Together

Bought the GF Witcher 2, and myself Battleblock Theater. Also picked up Metro LL Redux from Amazon. Total spent, like 10 bucks. Seemed like a fairly weak sale.

My final take was pretty bad.. I kinda went overboard.

Assassin's Creed
Assassin's Creed II: Deluxe Edition
Assassin's Creed III - Standard Edition
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood - Deluxe (preorder)
Assassin's Creed Revelations - Gold Edition
Assassin's Creed Freedom Cry
Borderlands 2 Psycho Pack
Euro Truck Simulator 2
Mass Effect Collection
Metal Gear Rising
Need for Speed: Undercover
Need for Speed: SHIFT
Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit
Prison Architect Standard
Rogue Legacy
Saints Row IV Game of the Century Upgrade Pack
Saturday Morning RPG
Shadowrun Returns
Super Meat Boy
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist
Transistor

A plus now tho is that I can sell my console versions of AC, NFS & Splinter cell.

Only bought:

Titan Quest & Expansion
Grim Dawn (first ever Early Access game)
3dMark

Steam has never put new, major releases on large discounts. I think the real source of the disappointment is largely that this year was quite a dud in gaming, especially compared to last year.

I've picked up several big AAA games that were only a couple months old for $15-$25 during past sales, now they're mostly $40 and up. I've also picked up several 6-12 month old games for $5-$10 in the past and I just don't see those types of deals anymore. There were actually more games than usual on my wishlist but I only picked up AC: IV because everything else was more than I was willing to pay or in some cases not even on sale. South Park was the only recent game I was aware of being a decent deal, it is a short game though.

I am fairly picky about prices on games that are tied into any online service(basically all games these days) but the Steam sales aren't anywhere near as good as they were a couple years ago. I also agree with those that have said it's mostly garbage indie games these days, not all indie games are garbage but most of them are.

Kinda hoping Dimmdrive goes on sale at some point. I was considering buying a big SSD to dump part of my Steam library to, but Dimmdrive would be cheaper and faster...hmm.

I swore I wasn't adding to my backlog, buy picked up Final Fantasy XIII. They patched in better resolution support and I wanted to support future releases coming to PC since there was a long time between 7/8 coming to oc in the 90's and them finally putting these more recent releases on PC.

FF13's resolution patch didn't do all that much I think, I set the graphics at the very highest possible for all settings and it still looked quite blurry and jaggy. TBH I don't think I noticed any improvement at all

I went back to GeDoSaTo, didn't bother me overly since it is a small program and I didn't have to do much tweaking to get the game looking good.

I am opting to hold out on FF13-2 though, I want to finish 13 before buying 13-2

Steam has never put new, major releases on large discounts. I think the real source of the disappointment is largely that this year was quite a dud in gaming, especially compared to last year.

Eh? Yes they have.

http://forum.groovypost.com/deals/steam-winter-sale-2010-live-dec-20-thru-jan-2-t96494.html

Steam 2010 winter sale.

Fallout: NV , released in Oct of 2010, Steam sale in Dec 2010 (two months), 40% discount.

Darksiders - Released Sept 2010 (pc version), 3 months after 50% off.

Dead Rising 2 - Released in Sept 2010, 50% off.

Need I continue?

Kinda hoping Dimmdrive goes on sale at some point. I was considering buying a big SSD to dump part of my Steam library to, but Dimmdrive would be cheaper and faster...hmm.

I would go with even a small 128 GB SSD over this program. How much RAM do you have versus 128 GB of SSD space?

I got

metro 2033 redux
tw2
dungeon defenders

Then I ended up only playing Saints Row IV which I bought during the last steam sale I think (with the season pass).. The Saints Save Christmas DLC was pretty good actually. :)

I would go with even a small 128 GB SSD over this program. How much RAM do you have versus 128 GB of SSD space?

I would do neither considering there's literally no reason for 99% of games to even exist on a fast drive at all.

Back