Steam 2014 Winter sale is here! runs from December 18th to January 2nd.

Only thing I bought from Steam was Rogue Legacy today.

I did pickup Bioshock Infinite Complete, Metro Last Light Redux, and Borderlands 2 from other sources.

Man, many of the top reviews on Steam have also gone to crap, just like Youtube reviews. Peruse the top 3 reviews on most any title. Now, repeat back some specific details of the game. Right, you can't, because the reviews are content free: "omg, this is great (looks good so fun) just buy it, off-topic parallel to life, couldn't put it down! Hours on record: 0.1". Sorry haha, anyway ... I didn't see anything interesting today on sale.

Picked up Divinity OS seems it's not going to lower any time soon I suppose the devs have a cap on it.
If you don't have Dishonored pick that up one of the best games in my Library great looking game looks like a oil painted 3-D Dream mechanics story is fun still haven't finished the core game.

Man, many of the top reviews on Steam have also gone to crap, just like Youtube reviews. Peruse the top 3 reviews on most any title. Now, repeat back some specific details of the game. Right, you can't, because the reviews are content free: "omg, this is great (looks good so fun) just buy it, off-topic parallel to life, couldn't put it down! Hours on record: 0.1". Sorry haha, anyway ... I didn't see anything interesting today on sale.

Agree on this... also lots of 10/10 would (insert funny here) again.

Also agree on dishonored, I need to play through again but really enjoyed the gameplay and graphics.
TombRaider is a great game at this price.
Kingdoms of Amalur is actually a pretty fun game... I have it on origin, would buy on steam if it dropped a bit more for the deluxe version.
Transistor looks good, I enjoyed Bastion, so will probably try this... but maybe at summer sale, too many games now.

Last edited:
Picked up Divinity OS seems it's not going to lower any time soon I suppose the devs have a cap on it.
If you don't have Dishonored pick that up one of the best games in my Library great looking game looks like a oil painted 3-D Dream mechanics story is fun still haven't finished the core game.

Wasn't the worlds greatest fan of Dishonored, but in all fairness I tried it during the free weekend, and coming from DS2, everything felt like crap lol.

I just bought Transistor today.

Yeah I used to follow that Greg Kasavin guy at Gamespot still up in the air about his games haven't played any of his Super Giant titles.

Picked up BF2:BC, and the Vietnam expansion today. Amazing, I have never played this series, although I have played all the other Battlefield games!

Kingdoms of Amalur was a fun game that was great for a new IP, main drawback of it was that it was just WAYYY too easy once you get going and the story was "so so" (especially coming from R. A. Salvatore).

Wish the studio didn't go belly up (They wouldn't have if Curt Schilling didn't try to make an mmo right out of the gate).

All DLC for Tomb Raider worth $3.99? I own the base game but have yet to start it.

Last edited:
All DLC for Tomb Raider worth $3.99? I own the base game but have yet to start it.

Def. not. It's mostly multiplayer stuff (with the exception of one really small single-player map), and multiplayer is pretty much dead for this game.

The base game is amazing, but enough as is.

Anyone think this is the lowest Divinity Original Sin will get in a long time?

tempted to pick up Wolfenstein: The New Order for $20.39...heard a lot of good things about the game

Finally Wolfenstein:TNO goes on sale and...it's the exact same price it was in the fall sale, yay...

Was thinking it;d be you know, the cheapest it's been.

tempted to pick up Wolfenstein: The New Order for $20.39...heard a lot of good things about the game

Tempted too. I'd buy that in a heartbeat if it wasn't by the amount of queued games I already have in my library.

It'll be sub $15 or even sub $10 when I get the time to play it.

Tempted too. I'd buy that in a heartbeat if it wasn't by the amount of queued games I already have in my library.

same here...I passed on Shadow of Mordor for the same reason, even though I want to pick that up eventually...maybe next Steam sale both games will be under $20 :cool:

I know. My point was that lack of interest in the titles on sale does not equal a shitty sale. I've found plenty of great stuff, as have many others I'm sure.

QFT!

I've only picked up a couple game this sale, but the main reason for that is because I already own most of the games I am interested in, and due to some awesome deals in the summer and last winter I still have a backlog of games left to play.

Finally Wolfenstein:TNO goes on sale and...it's the exact same price it was in the fall sale, yay...

Was thinking it;d be you know, the cheapest it's been.

It is the cheapest it's been, it's just that it's been offered once before at this price.

Can't blame Steam for not having a lower price now, since if people see that the Christmas sale has better prices, how many people would buy anything from them during the Thanksgiving sale?

I know exactly what you mean, I've learned long ago not to bother with the higher priced titles as I have a big enough backlog that by the time I play them I could get them for half of less of what I paid months earlier.

same here...I passed on Shadow of Mordor for the same reason, even though I want to pick that up eventually...maybe next Steam sale both games will be under $20 :cool:

I got Shadow of Mordor for $21 on G2A and I'm loving it (this is the most I've spent on a game in years, well except for Borderlands 2 and Metro: Last Light.)

I never got into AC, but I can't seem to get enough of slaughtering orcs.

Picked up a few things but no major titles. I'm with you guys on that one - I was hoping to see Alien: Isolation for less than $25. It'd probably be worth that to me, but by the time I get around to it it'll probably be cheaper. Oh well, maybe next time!

I missed Kingdoms of Amalur for $4.99; hopefully it'll be that price again on the last day.

Wolfenstein is fun; picked it up over the summer and finally played some of it over the Christmas break.

Gunpoint was on Humble Bundle for $1 before, and DRM free no less ...

Picked up a few things but no major titles. I'm with you guys on that one - I was hoping to see Alien: Isolation for less than $25. It'd probably be worth that to me, but by the time I get around to it it'll probably be cheaper. Oh well, maybe next time!

I missed Kingdoms of Amalur for $4.99; hopefully it'll be that price again on the last day.

Wolfenstein is fun; picked it up over the summer and finally played some of it over the Christmas break.

Alien Isolation was 20.00 via greenmangaming just yesterday I pick it up last night.

Somehow, I feel that this winter sale isn't as exciting as previous Steam summer/winter sales. Part of the fault lies with a big backlog of titles, but part of it is also that they have the community vote every eight hours with the flash sales.

This sale? The vote is every 24 hours, and the items change every 12 hours.

And, thus, I think, we lost some of the excitement of the sale.

They have a huge buffer, which is the 12 to 48 hours that the individual items are on sale for, so why should they both wasting time to adding an "in cart" buffer?
That's true. But it's not like I sat around the whole day contemplating if I wanted to buy it or not. Granted, that was my bad for not checking earlier. By the time I checked this site and saw Sickb0y's screenshot and went to Steam's website, it was probably 11:55. After I saw the video clip and some screenshots and I added I went to checkout, I guess it was about 11:58. Then it had my old CC info., so I fetched my wallet and I guess by the time i was ready to submit, it was right at 12:00 or 12:01, so I missed it.

My mentioning the buffer time is kind of like how Ticket Master does it. Once you have tickets in your cart for an event, then you have x # of minutes to go through each of the checkout windows. Those tickets are guaranteed at those prices, unless the timer runs down to 0. That would be my constructive criticism for Steam and other sites to add for these close call moments.

So for all I "bought" was the free Pinball FX 2 game that was mentioned yesterday. But that looks like it's going to be permanently free and Steam will try to recoup the money with downloadable content. (As mentioned 2 posts ago, I was too late to buy N4S - HP, and hoping that sale returns.)

I wish Steam offered a larger library of EA Sports games. I'd like to pick up an MLB/NBA/NFL/NHL video game from a couple years ago for $5.

Somehow, I feel that this winter sale isn't as exciting as previous Steam summer/winter sales. Part of the fault lies with a big backlog of titles, but part of it is also that they have the community vote every eight hours with the flash sales.

This sale? The vote is every 24 hours, and the items change every 12 hours.

And, thus, I think, we lost some of the excitement of the sale.

I feel the same, to some degree, although for me it's simply reducing the number of times I need to check Steam each day for sales.

On the otherhand, with the new deal every 8 hours the repetition was crazy, some items would be a flash deal, than a daily deal and the day after it dropped off the daily deal it would be a community vote.

With the reduced community votes I haven't seen anything close to that level of repetition, which is a good thing.

That's true. But it's not like I sat around the whole day contemplating if I wanted to buy it or not. Granted, that was my bad for not checking earlier. By the time I checked this site and saw Sickb0y's screenshot and went to Steam's website, it was probably 11:55. After I saw the video clip and some screenshots and I added I went to checkout, I guess it was about 11:58. Then it had my old CC info., so I fetched my wallet and I guess by the time i was ready to submit, it was right at 12:00 or 12:01, so I missed it.

My mentioning the buffer time is kind of like how Ticket Master does it. Once you have tickets in your cart for an event, then you have x # of minutes to go through each of the checkout windows. Those tickets are guaranteed at those prices, unless the timer runs down to 0. That would be my constructive criticism for Steam and other sites to add for these close call moments.

I understand what you mean, and while I wouldn't oppose it I just don't really see the use for it, especially as during these sales they could have 10's of thousands, or even 100's of thousands, of those timers going at once.

I understand what you mean, and while I wouldn't oppose it I just don't really see the use for it, especially as during these sales they could have 10's of thousands, or even 100's of thousands, of those timers going at once.
Yeah, I know in the end it was my fault for not having checked this thread or Steam's FP earlier than ~5-10 min. before noon (CST).

I wonder how many concurrent timers sites that implement them like TicketMaster and StubHub have. I'm not a website developer, so I have no idea on how resource intensive that would be.

Well, here's to hoping if Steam has an encore sale on 1/2 (the last day of sales) that N4S - HP returns at the original sale price.

Yeah, I know in the end it was my fault for not having checked this thread or Steam's FP earlier than ~5-10 min. before noon (CST).

I wonder how many concurrent timers sites that implement them like TicketMaster and StubHub have. I'm not a website developer, so I have no idea on how resource intensive that would be.

Well, here's to hoping if Steam has an encore sale on 1/2 (the last day of sales) that N4S - HP returns at the original sale price.

Yeah, I have no clue either, but I would imagine that right after the deals changed they would get slammed with them, I just have no clue as to how many resources they would demand.

After rereading my original response I wanted to say I wasn't trying to be harsh, I just wasn't, and still am not, sure if it would be worth the time, effort and resources that would be needed (but for all I know it could be a simple plugu in and us next to no resources.

I will say that Steam has come a long way with dealing with these sales, just a couple years ago it would take multiple attempts to load the store, and downloads slowed to a crawl, but this sale I've never failed to load the store and Shadows of Mordor downloaded full speed for me.

So for all I "bought" was the free Pinball FX 2 game that was mentioned yesterday. But that looks like it's going to be permanently free and Steam will try to recoup the money with downloadable content. (As mentioned 2 posts ago, I was too late to buy N4S - HP, and hoping that sale returns.)

I wish Steam offered a larger library of EA Sports games. I'd like to pick up an MLB/NBA/NFL/NHL video game from a couple years ago for $5.
Yeah, the pinball tables are F2P, but you buy the tables separately. They're sold the same way on PSN (and I assume on Live as well), so it's not a Steam thing.

Good lord, my wallet is taking a beating for this sale.

Gauntlet 4 pack
MGS: Ground Zeroes
Shadow of Mordor
Dishonored
NBA2K15

And this isn't even including what I bought my nephew and sons for xmas. MAKE IT STOP

I will say that Steam has come a long way with dealing with these sales, just a couple years ago it would take multiple attempts to load the store, and downloads slowed to a crawl, but this sale I've never failed to load the store and Shadows of Mordor downloaded full speed for me.
That might be because the discounts and daily deals are a bit lackluster this year which means less traffic. It's almost a repeat of the Autumn sale and I would guess people were expecting bigger price cuts or already spent their money.

spent $0.00 so far. I hate how 99.99999% of the games that steam puts on sale are independent games.

spent $0.00 so far. I hate how 99.99999% of the games that steam puts on sale are independent games.

Kinda hateful and ignorant statement don't you think? Indie developers have a right to make a living too, and a good game is a good game regardless of entity affiliation...you trying to troll?

Back