Steam 2013 Thanksgiving sale is here! runs from November 27 to December 3

Kids were bugging me for Terraria. Looks a bit like 2D Minecraft. Comments?

I found Terraria to be far less daunting when approaching an "open world" environment than Minecraft. However, I grew up on 2D side-scrolling games, so I might have a bias. The entire world is less "blocky" as well. Also, direct combat is a serious component of Terraria. There are multiple bosses, some you will encounter normally, and others you have to summon through creation and/or use of a specific item. Crafting is easier (if you are standing next to a specific crafting station, you will get a list of everything you can craft based on what you currently have in your backpack). You also get to deck out your character in gear to improve your survivability in combat and can choose to fight with magic, ranged, or melee weaponry.

...and you can also build stuff if that interests you. I spend most of my building time constructing elaborate arenas to make it easier to survive boss encounters (this is actually one of the few games that I am aware of where YOU get to construct the arena YOU want to fight the boss in).

I bought the game a year ago for $5, and I have around 200 hours in it. I would have paid $10. On another note, the developers recently released a new patch for the game that should be qualified as an expansion for the volume of content that it added. They released it for free.

Eyeing Far Cry 3 for $7.50. Is it worth it to get the Deluxe edition for $10?

7.50 gets a lot of (somewhat repetitive) content but an overall pretty good game. The Monkey business mission was ok for a laugh. IIRC there is a silenced sniper rifle in the add-on that helps a lot early on.

On the same note, is Blood Dragon worth 5?

November 27th - Dec 3rd

still haven't bought anything =)

thinking of payday though....

Will it be summary deals today, or will they do that tomorrow to last until the 4th?

Hmm. Looks like Namco is only selling Naruto for half off on it's own website. Their announcement made it sound like it would be on sale on steam too

Is it just me or are they jacking up the prices on some of the games before the discount?

Regarding the Terraria comments, yes it's well worth it at $5 or even $10. If you can pick it up for $2.50 when they have it for 75% off, you've gotten an incredible buy. It starts out kind of slow, so give it a couple of hours. The biggest boosts in enjoyment for me were being able to dig/mine faster and of course upgrading my character with all sorts of cool stuff. But it takes a while to get to that point. Just don't let that put you off because the game is fantastic.

I've heard some good things about Dust. Anyone care to comment?

(Never mind, seems the main page is advertising the TR bundle.)

Anyone knows if there will be any dota2 "keys" promotion or discounts ?

No, just like there's no discounts on TF2 keys. Valve doesn't always babysit the in-game economy as closely as they should, but they're not stupid enough to cause it to tank by putting the hard currency (keys) on sale.

From what I've read, it's not going to change....it was built for mobile platforms from the get go - mainly game mechanics such as having to click on buildings to collect resources all the time. Molyneux hasn't made anything worth playing for a long, long time. I passed up the Kickstarter as soon as I saw who was behind it.

Damn, that sucks. I'd never heard of the company before, but I can definitely see it being designed for mobile. Ugh, $10 wasted. And what's worse, it's still beta, meaning my $10 went toward encouraging them to continue :p

in for Dust: An Elysian Tail. been waiting to play that one
also got the dream machine bundle http://store.steampowered.com/app/94300/ i figured it probably wont be cheaper than 75% off for the whole thing.
even though it seems to be just point and click, i could not resist the claymation art style :D

Last edited:
Dunno, but I heard it was full of QTEs and I stayed away. Maybe if they bumped her cup size back up to what it's supposed to be....

It isn't full of QTEs per-say but the ones they have are poorly designed, especially on a keyboard and mouse. Outside of those few moments the game is excellent. It is a very well written story and the game has a purpose beyond shoving t&a in your face. It is easily my favorite game in the series.

TR is my personal GOTY, and it's a steal for $10. One of the very few games that I've 100% completed in recent memory.

Musta been a glitch, shows 9.99 again at least for the moment.

Tomb Raider was awesome, had a great time with it. The QTEs were annoying but not common enough to ruin my enjoyment of the rest of the game, which was really well done.

Pretty quiet sale for me so far, picked up FC3 finally and been enjoying that. On the fence on Blood Dragon at $5 and Fez at $2.50.

argh. long day at work.......I see. dam. so many mixed reviews for TR...

Tomb Raider was a really good game and I spend 20 hours on my first play though and finished with 100%. I have to remind myself that it wasn't even a game I had planned on buying, just kinda bought it a couple days before release.

+1 for Tomb Raider. Was a lot of fun and worth $10.

Agreed - purchased earlier in the year during one of the sales and played a few months back, really enjoyed the game and the graphics.

A lot of Quick Time Events, didn't bother me but many have not enjoyed. I would purchased their next game, probably on sale though. :D

Tomb Raider certainly wasn't a thinking man's game.....but a an enjoyable experience.

Tomb Raider was super fun, stop hating.

Only problem with that game is that even on Hard it felt way too easy, it really needed a harder mode.

Meh tomb raider. $5 game imo
You could say that about the majority of games but many can't wait 1-2 years for the price to go that low. TR was well worth the $16 I paid for it. Took me 30 hours to complete it and I did not do everything.

You could say that about the majority of games but many can't wait 1-2 years for the price to go that low. TR was well worth the $16 I paid for it. Took me 30 hours to complete it and I did not do everything.

with the backlogs many people have. ya they can afford to wait.

there's nothing new this game brings. it's a cheap man's uncharted. (but in fact cost a hell of a lot of money) the only good thing about this game is staring at girl ass. (note: not a real girl)

with the backlogs many people have. ya they can afford to wait.

there's nothing new this game brings.

Depends if people have backlogs; not everyone does. I don't. Many might not have played the previous titles.

I liked it myself and it was a very solid, bug free experience. Nvidia performance was terrible but they fixed that with patches and Nvidia released drivers that helped. Aside from that, very solid experience and it was a fun game.

Test Drive Ferrari Legends is unplayable. No keyboard commands work at all! I've tried 2 different computers and 5 keyboards.

Back