Steam 2013 summer sale is here!

Gotta love how people bitch because deals aren't specifically targeted at their tastes. Fucking entitlement bullshit.

:rolleyes:

People bitch about anything, man. You're bitching about people bitching. It doesn't need to be called out every 2 seconds on here.

As I said, the sale was mediocre simply because we've seen a lot of these titles on sale before for similar prices (or even lower in some cases). There were a few good deals, and I spent around $45 on various things I didn't have (Strike Suit, Torchlight 2 for the GF, CS:GO, etc) but the prices weren't mind-blowing in any sense of the word.

I don't think the sale was total shit, but there are some indie titles that I would have liked to see lower (Kerbal and Prison Architect, for example).

Gotta love how people bitch because deals aren't specifically targeted at their tastes. Fucking entitlement bullshit.

Agreed. Frankly surprising to see that kind of response on this board.

Then again...if we change the topic over to those weekly "Newegg/TD" deal threads where everyone bitches about it not being a good sale, it's really not THAT uncommon.

Did I m iss something? With the community's chocie there's no new game up for sale? It just shows a blank area and has a countdown til the next one.

I sear I voted for a game earlier..

Agreed. Frankly surprising to see that kind of response on this board.

Then again...if we change the topic over to those weekly "Newegg/TD" deal threads where everyone bitches about it not being a good sale, it's really not THAT uncommon.

The fact they were bitching about the Newegg deal has me laughing my ass, they should have been glad Newegg brought it back, and with better boards lol.

As for Steam, the sale was kind of meh, but it introduced me to Indie titles that I would have never tried that for $6 are entertaining.

Did I m iss something? With the community's chocie there's no new game up for sale? It just shows a blank area and has a countdown til the next one.

I sear I voted for a game earlier..

i see blood dragon for sale...

People bitch about anything, man. You're bitching about people bitching. It doesn't need to be called out every 2 seconds on here.

As I said, the sale was mediocre simply because we've seen a lot of these titles on sale before for similar prices (or even lower in some cases). There were a few good deals, and I spent around $45 on various things I didn't have (Strike Suit, Torchlight 2 for the GF, CS:GO, etc) but the prices weren't mind-blowing in any sense of the word.

I don't think the sale was total shit, but there are some indie titles that I would have liked to see lower (Kerbal and Prison Architect, for example).

While not everything was at it's best price there was a wide verity of things mostly at decent prices (Activision titles and Prison Architech aside). My only real issue with Valve's big sales lately has been the flash/community deals. I feel that they should be unique deals that don't pop up as daily deals. It's nice that if you miss something you will get another chance to get it, but I swear some games went on sale four times. Still, I spent a lot of money this time around. I haven't added it up yet, but I'd guess it's close to $100 though three titles were $20 or higher so that adds up quickly.

People always seem to expect something Earth shattering from these sales, as if they haven't been paying attention to the way big games sales go on various sites. Despite having some better prices and bundles, I'd say Amazon's sales are worse because of how terrible the experience of browsing their website is, especially the sale pages. Same with Gamer's Gate. The only other ones that do a decent job are Green Man Gaming and GoG.

Even as someone with a massive catalog I was very happy with this sale. I forget what I bought at least 5 or 6 games.

I bought AC2 and AC brotherhood... I loved first AC

All I can say is uplay fucking sucks so bad if I knew i wouldn't have bothered and I don't mind origin. Not to mention the shitty 60fps cap lol.
None of this with first AC....

Uplay isn't that bad; I'm almost finished with AC: Brotherhood and it's a minor annoyance at best. Just an extra click to start the game. And 60fps cap? I'm playing the game at 120hz and it's definitely much smoother than 60. Maybe I misunderstood your post.

The sale was great if you're one of the shitty game collectors here who will never play any of them. I had my daughter add to her Steam wallet only to buy Walking Dead. What a fucking waste.

Here's what I got:

Galactic Civilizations Complete Pack
Kairo
Rogue Legacy
Gunpoint
Sleeping Dogs - The Year of the Snake
Unreal Tournament 2004
The Swapper
System Shock 2
Toki Tori 2+
Strike Suit Infinity
Age of Empires II
Super House of Dead Ninjas
Two Worlds II Bundle
FEZ
FTL: Faster Than Light
Dyad
Dungeons of Dredmor

Completed The Swapper (amazing game, one of the best I've played this year), spent 10 hours in Rogue Legacy, another 7 in Gunpoint, and 3 in Super House of Dead Ninjas. For what I paid in total I feel I already got my money's worth just from those games.

Hmm tempted to get into a 4-pack for NS2 :p
Assuming there's 3 other willing people haha.

Completed The Swapper (amazing game, one of the best I've played this year), spent 10 hours in Rogue Legacy, another 7 in Gunpoint, and 3 in Super House of Dead Ninjas. For what I paid in total I feel I already got my money's worth just from those games.

How did you spend 7 hours in gunpoint? I played for 3, there might be another 2 hours of play left in it if I felt the need to replay the game. Totally willing to say there might be something Im missing about the game, just felt kind of short. AMAZING game though, was some of the most fun I have had in a long time playing a game.

How did you spend 7 hours in gunpoint? I played for 3, there might be another 2 hours of play left in it if I felt the need to replay the game. Totally willing to say there might be something Im missing about the game, just felt kind of short. AMAZING game though, was some of the most fun I have had in a long time playing a game.

I was just going by the Steam counter which isn't fully accurate as I took some breaks inbetween and left it alt-tabbed so should subtract a few hours from that. I also replayed some missions to get top rank. But yeah it's an amazing game so glad I got it.

Looks like my total damage was $115.89 for 17 games (plus several DLCs). An average of $6.81 per game.

Last holiday sell I spent over $100. This time it seemed like the same 30 games on rotation between the different sales. I am however loving "Dont Starve" which I would have never found without the sale.

In total..

Dishonored + DLC
Dont Starve
Civ 5 Golden Pack
Dust: Elysium Tale

And still waiting for the Ninja game that was made by the shank/dont starve devs.

Well said.

Finally bit the bullet

I bought ONE game total this steam sale and it was on the final flash deals and was a day 1 steam sale;

Endless Space

I was also gifted Dust: An Elysium Tale as well

Again the sale was fine only a few of the games had been close to that cheap quit exaggerating... Like you said YOU would have liked lower prices on certain games... You think the sale should be tailored to you?

Your argument makes no sense at all. What does it matter that some of these have been on sale before? "omg this massive 10 day sale of tons of games sucks because some where ALMOST this cheap at one time or another". You get tons of good deals for 10 days straight and piss and moan like a spoiled child.

Good god no wonder everyone has nothing but contempt for pc gamers... Give them dozens of good games under $10 and it's STILL not good enough.

Spent about $60 total this time around split amongst 4 accounts. I picked up Hotline:Miami and Batman:AC. Would love to play Hotline as soon as they patch it to work in W8. First time I've had a game fail to launch from Steam yet (which is in the hundreds). Not exactly a good start for that one for me. Batman has lived up to my expectations though. :)

Wife is hooked in Deus Ex:HR and Reus, can't remember if she bought anything else. Young kids account only got Cthulu Saves the World/Breath of Death VII as it's impossible to say no for $.99. Oldest boy took the lions share at about $40 worth of stuff, big ones being FTL and the newish X-COM (forget the full name).

We spend between $30-80 each sale in my house. It helps that we wait for GOTY editions of games (BL2 - it's your turn!), and have certain expectations of what to buy when we go in. Instead of looking for specific games, I just keep an eye on my wishlist to see which ones hit the sweet spot in price then go fot it. Haven't been let down by a sale yet.

Spent about $60 total this time around split amongst 4 accounts. I picked up Hotline:Miami and Batman:AC. Would love to play Hotline as soon as they patch it to work in W8. First time I've had a game fail to launch from Steam yet (which is in the hundreds). Not exactly a good start for that one for me.

Have you tried the beta? Right click on the game in Steam, go to properties, beta tab, then enter code hlm to enable it.

Last edited:
Again the sale was fine only a few of the games had been close to that cheap quit exaggerating... Like you said YOU would have liked lower prices on certain games... You think the sale should be tailored to you?

Your argument makes no sense at all. What does it matter that some of these have been on sale before? "omg this massive 10 day sale of tons of games sucks because some where ALMOST this cheap at one time or another". You get tons of good deals for 10 days straight and piss and moan like a spoiled child.

Good god no wonder everyone has nothing but contempt for pc gamers... Give them dozens of good games under $10 and it's STILL not good enough.

Wow, I don't even...

First off, I never even said the sale sucked, I said it was mediocre and I pointed out why I felt that way. If saying something is mediocre is your idea of "pissing and moaning" (which honestly sounds a lot more like what you are currently doing) then you need your head checked.

Second, the person I responded to with that replied with a well though-out post, which I even agree with. What's your excuse? The whining about "PC elitists" has been far worse around here than the actual complaining by PC gamers, by far.

Third, it "matters" in that this is one of Steam's two big sales of the year, next to the Winter Sale. Generally you would think we would see some amazing deals, instead we see prices that are just alright and as Derangel pointed out, a lot of the deals were repeated multiple times, taking up room for additional games that could have been discounted.

The sale was fine. It wasn't terrible, it wasn't great, it was fine. As I said, I bought several titles that I was waiting to pick up, though nothing was really amazingly cheap, but it's probably the best we'll get until the winter.

Last holiday sell I spent over $100. This time it seemed like the same 30 games on rotation between the different sales. I am however loving "Dont Starve" which I would have never found without the sale.

In total..

Dishonored + DLC
Dont Starve
Civ 5 Golden Pack
Dust: Elysium Tale

And still waiting for the Ninja game that was made by the shank/dont starve devs.

That was on sale earlier, Mark of the Ninja, 50% off until 1:00PM EST (end of steam sales)

Last edited:
Finally bit the bullet

I bought ONE game total this steam sale and it was on the final flash deals and was a day 1 steam sale;

Endless Space

I was also gifted Dust: An Elysium Tale as well

Okay, I lied, got the Civ 5 Gold Upgrade, so now I'm gold. Now I'm done spending money!

Picked up Tomb Raider for $12.50 and GTA4 is only $5.00 - $7.50 with expansions.

I had a lot of stuff that was on sale already. Ended up buying:

Deadlight
Afterfall Insanity
Amnesia Dark Descent
GTA Vice City
GTA San Andreas
Dark Souls

And this morning I caved and grabbed Dishonored. Total spent about $40

Would love to play Hotline as soon as they patch it to work in W8. First time I've had a game fail to launch from Steam yet (which is in the hundreds). Not exactly a good start for that one for me.

I was playing Hotline Miami for a few hours last night on my Windows 8 HTPC. Took a while to start the first time, but ran without issue after that.

In for about $165
Borderlands 2 (4 pack)
Kerbal Space Program
FTL
Ace Combat
Tomb Raider
Leviathan: Warships
Pay Day 2 (4 pack) pre-order...buddies and I really liked first game

Have you tried the beta? Right click on the game in Steam, go to properties, beta tab, then enter code hlm to enable it.

I had not (and can't believe I didn't think of that). Will definitely try when I get home today. Every time I start I get the desktop splash screen, then full screen black, then error of "cannot start external application" or something like that. Was bugging the crap out of me. Good to know! Thanks for the tip.

-jc

Bwahahaha I didn't buy anything Heck Yeah! not this time gabe.know why?
Because i'm bad really,really bad ya know it ha..
:D

Worms Collection
Fallout New Vegas Ultimate
Torchlight II
Fallout 3 - Game of the Year
The Walking Dead: 400 Days
Dragon's Lair
F1 2012
FarCry
FarCry 2
FarCry 3 Deluxe
Sleeping Dogs
Archeblade Early Access Premium Pack
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Legendary
Dishonored
FEAR Complete Pack
Total War Grand Master Collection
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Doom 3: BFG Edition
Surgeon Simulator
FEZ
Duke Nukem Bundle
Shadow Warrior Classic Redux
Earthworm Jim Collection
Another World

and various DLCs for Borderlands 2, Dishonored, Tomb Raider and Saints Row 3rd.

Pretty good haul, doubt I'm going to have a chance to play them all for a while, but still good haul.

My best 'surprise hit' impulse buy of this sale had to be The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing.

I knew basically nothing about this game when I bought it other than it was an ARPG with coop and it had average reviews. For $7.50 though I feel like I got a great deal. I haven’t tried multi-player yet (which is supposedly riddled with issues), but the single player campaign and content is, imho, of excellent quality and much better than just about any ARPG I’ve played recently. The combat is also very entertaining but I could see it getting a bit stale after a play-through or two since you only have 1 character (with two distinct combat styles) to choose from.

Spent... under $10 for sure. Can't remember the amount. I got Just Cause 2 and Sonic All-Stars racing. Both are fun. Sonic has a ton of tracks! :eek:

Back