Steam 2012 Summer Sale 7/12-22!

I went to bed last night at 2:30am and Torchlight had just won the vote. Now, I check the sales at 11am and it's no longer on sale. When the hell did it go on sale? Are those community choice sales only good for 8 hours?

I went to bed last night at 2:30am and Torchlight had just won the vote. Now, I check the sales at 11am and it's no longer on sale. When the hell did it go on sale? Are those community choice sales only good for 8 hours?

yep, you snooze you lose...

What the hell is it with some of the strategy games? AOE3 was only discounted to $10 (still bought it) and Anno was discounted to $30 and now going for $25 on the voting thing.

T3 is not something i recommend buying because theres not really anyone to play with its MP only really.

I don't play MP...had great fun with the SP game!

mls1995 said:
The Thief series was great. Now they need to remake the games in HD like Serious Sam. I'd be happy to give them all another play through if that happened. It's hard to play older games in 2012 when we've been spoiled by great graphics for so long.

100% agree on the HD remake; that would be awesome but the games are still very enjoyable IMO. Yeah, the graphics are dated but I guess the fact that I grew up playing NES means I'm not spoiled on graphics (or at least can easily look past them). I can still play Thief, System Shock, Deus Ex, Tomb Raider, Half-Life etc. and enjoy every minute of them. Many can't, though. Sad really because if they would only play games when the graphics were cutting edge, they are going to miss out on a lot of A+ older titles. The mid/late 90s & early 2000s were a fantastic time for PC gaming. It's still a good time to be a PC gamer now, but I feel like many of the games back then were way more original and innovative.

The Thief series was great. Now they need to remake the games in HD like Serious Sam. I'd be happy to give them all another play through if that happened. It's hard to play older games in 2012 when we've been spoiled by great graphics for so long.

I tried to play Thief deadly shadows but its a part of that "We just discovered polygons" era. Where every game was amazingly 3 dimensional but looked like absolute shat then and eyebleedy now. I would love to play an HD remake with at least another 37 polygons.

Last edited:
Yeah, the graphics are dated but I guess the fact that I grew up playing NES means I'm not spoiled on graphics (or at least can easily look past them). I can still play Thief, System Shock, Deus Ex, Tomb Raider, Half-Life etc. and enjoy every minute of them. Many can't, though. Sad really because if they would only play games when the graphics were cutting edge, they are going to miss out on a lot of A+ older titles. The mid/late 90s & early 2000s were a fantastic time for PC gaming. It's still a good time to be a PC gamer now, but I feel like many of the games back then were way more original and innovative.

I'm 35, so I know what you mean but I got spoiled somewhere along the way.

Binding of Isaac any good? I'm reading that it's next to impossible with the DLC.

Well it's incredibly hard even without the DLC. Basically it's a "one playthrough per sitting" game, where you can't save and you don't really carry any items over with you in subsequent playthroughs.

For the price, though, I highly recommend it. Really fun little game and it's always randomized so there's a ton of replay value.

Man, after Day 1 this sale has continued to color me un-impressed, day by day. Only some items have interested me. Mostly I end up saying "Meh." Maybe my game collection is just in a satisfying spot right now.

Aaaand the store is dead at the moment.

EDIT: Back up.

Bastion for $3.74. Highly recommend at that price.

Also, Dead Space 2 for $5. Good deal on that as well.

STALKER bundle for $11.19 is a hella good deal.

Thief collection on sale.

EPOC said:
Lol. I think someone from Steam saw all the Thief comments.

For real. So if we talk about something enough, it happens shortly thereafter...?

/lightbulb

Ahem. Hey guys. It would be really cool if the last day of the sale, the entire Steam catalog went on sale for $199.99.

/waits

i feel like SR3 is always on sale :p and the STALKER Collections is intriguing at $11, i've always wanted to play the games, just never got around to them. are all three games worth playing? or just SoC?

Still waiting for an Arma2 daily/flash deal. For some reason I'm thinking that it won't go on real sale until the last day if it does at all. The darn thing hasn't been lower than #6 on the top sellers list since the sale started. (I think it's actually been a top seller since DayZ came out)

The Indie bundles piss me off. Every single one has had two to three games that I already have and the games I want out of the packages are like $1 less than the whole package.

For real. So if we talk about something enough, it happens shortly thereafter...?

/lightbulb

Ahem. Hey guys. It would be really cool if the last day of the sale, the entire Steam catalog went on sale for $199.99.

/waits

Great, now they think we're retarded and we get no voice in the sales. :p

Ya dont worry about community choice every thing that is proposed in the voting eventually goes on sale for the price you see proposed in either a flash deal or daily deal. I am actually a little dissapointed. BTW QUBE is a good game so this bundle is probably good for qube and vessel. I am actually bummed because I only half want vessel but I bought qube on a flash deal.

Ooh. Sins: Rebellion on 25% off. Whatabagan.

Damnit. I wanted to play that too. I guess I'll have to wait until next year to get a good deal on it.

Binding of Isaac any good? I'm reading that it's next to impossible with the DLC.

Yes! Get iit. The DLC adds new random enemies and bosses+items, the enemies are slightly harder, but the items more than make up for it.

It's not an overly difficult game, but it is randomly determined (random enemies and random layouts and random items). If you get bad items and tough bosses it can be pretty difficult, but that could happen on the base game. Theres strategy to doing things, and ways to find more items etc. (plus some of the patches have toned some of the enemies down slightly). It's definately far from impossible! :D

Sins rebellion price correct? It was 29.99 at RELEASE w/ the discount to original owners of the sins of a solar empire, i would have easily picked it up had the discount been you know, like 50% or somethign worthy of a normal steam sale.

I haven't bought anything yet this whole sale

Was looking at getting:

Sins rebellion
Endless space
Sniper elite v2 (got on amazon, 15 bucks vs steams 25...)
Spec ops (was on sale like 2 weeks ago for 25 bucks on gamersgate or somewhere, i thought steam sale would beat it).

Also the flash deals seem redudant, Lot of old titles that's already been on sale numerous times or were already part of daily deals.

I don't play MP...had great fun with the SP game!

100% agree on the HD remake; that would be awesome but the games are still very enjoyable IMO. Yeah, the graphics are dated but I guess the fact that I grew up playing NES means I'm not spoiled on graphics (or at least can easily look past them). I can still play Thief, System Shock, Deus Ex, Tomb Raider, Half-Life etc. and enjoy every minute of them. Many can't, though. Sad really because if they would only play games when the graphics were cutting edge, they are going to miss out on a lot of A+ older titles. The mid/late 90s & early 2000s were a fantastic time for PC gaming. It's still a good time to be a PC gamer now, but I feel like many of the games back then were way more original and innovative.

Homeworld, no other RTS like it since then AFAIK. The graphics were so simple but effective it'd probably pass off as an indie game today (it has the soundtrack for it!).

The late Tomb Raider sequels (2005+ ?) and the one remake are pretty good tho. Late 90s/2000 also saw the last of the space sims/shooters (X-Wing vs Tie Fighter, Freespace). Dunno how that genre just... Died. Took all the mech games with them too (not just Mechwarrior but Heavy Gears II, etc.).

Giants Citizen Kabuto is another type of quirky gem we probably wouldn't see from a major studio today, or Sid Meier's Pirates. FPS with humor like No One Lives Forever...

Steam should start doing single decade collections... Though I guess that's what GoG is for.

This is the first time I see all 3 Stalkers in the same bundle. Previously I had to buy one of them separately, Clear Sky if I recalled correctly. Regardless, I think its worth it, its a very unique kind of FPS.

Hell there's a mod for SoC that's still in development.

http://www.tecnobacon.com/

A friend told me one of the N4S games was great but not the other, but I forgot if it was HP good or bad. Anyone?

I'd still check out the games that lost in case they're still like 50%+ off. Driver isn't, but it is 33% off.

At this point, I've noticed a game I bought at one point in the sale at 66% off was then 75% off later. Now it's a game of ... should I buy now or wait to see if it's even MORE discounted??

I bought the Total War pack for $30 as I thought Steam didn't discount whole packs. Guess I was wrong!

Its a real good indicator that i've over bought in the past durring these sales or games have slowed cause pretty much everything they have had online i already own! Ask me how many i play? None. :(

Funny story, I was going to buy GTA 4 last night for $5. I went through my Steam e-mails and realized I already bought it last Nov. (also for $5). ::D I haven't played it yet. :eek: Waiting for my next computer. :(

BTW, over 56k views and counting. :eek:

A friend told me one of the N4S games was great but not the other, but I forgot if it was HP good or bad. Anyone?

Hot Pursuit was one of the better ones out of the recent titles (actually, the original Hot Pursuit was awesome, too).

I wish they wouldn't advertise STALKER Call of Pripyat at $3.74 on the store front when that deal is only for people who own one of the past games on steam. However, I should have known that trick by now after passing on a few other STALKER sales with the same bs.

Back