Steam 2012 Summer Sale 7/12-22!

Voted for Brink, since I'm not really interested in Ghost Recon 2 or Stronghold 3... but then I'm not really interested in Brink either. Kinda crap community choices this go around.

There are alot of games on sale that aren't listed on the pages either. Take the DCS titles for instance. A-10 is $16 and the chopper is like $5 right now.

[L]imey;1038931607 said:
About to grab Trine 2 and Terraria... anyone play Warlock Master of the Arcane and have an opinion on whether it's worth 7 bucks?

Yes Warlock is easily worth that much, it's a great turn based strategy game. If you like say the Civ series you'll enjoy it.

BTW I bought the paradox complete pack on amazon last week and it had it in there (I already bought WArlock when it came out). I'll let you have it for 6 instead of 7 if you decide you want it (it's a steam key).

Do you play that game with a game pad? Or a keyboard?

I played it with KB/M at first and moved to a gamepad. The controls are passble without a gamepad, but I would recommend playing with an XBox controller if you have one.

In for:

Trine Pack
Civ III (just wanted to get some discount on it)
Kohan Complete Pack
Shogun 2 Rise of the Samurai DLC

Pretty happy for day one...

Absolutely!

I think I paid $10 or $15 more for Rayman recently, meh... Waiting on Skyrim to drop another $10, otherwise I'll buy the Bethesda pack.

Do you guys think 50% off raymond is going to be the best deal?

It is suppose to have 4 player local coop.

Can you earn anything with badges?

Also I hope trine 2 wins the next sale.

Hmm, turns out I didn't overpay for it at all, looked it up and I had bought Rayman Origins from Steam itself for only $15... Go me! :p It's a great platform game imo, takes you back...

I'm tempted to pick up the Trine collection too. Could've swore I might already have it as part of a Humble Bundle but it seems not. I guess for $5 I might as well!

Rayman Origins is still $20 btw, I dunno why it's listed as an expired flash deal, was it $15 earlier or something? Worth picking up either way imo.

Edit: Spent $30 already and only 1 title was a flash deal (Trine, went all out and got the franchise + collector's for the soundtrack, $7.50)... :eek: I figured the L4D bundle and the old HL Episodes weren't gonna go any lower (Orange Box is already $10 and both Episodes are like $8, already have HL2 & Portal 1/2 obviously).

I'm eying the Tales of Monkey Island Complete Pack, somehow I doubt it'll be popular enough to be a flash deal... $20 isn't too bad even if it's only -40%

Raise your hand if your backlog is so sad and such a mess that you have your e-mail receipts open on one tab, Steam purchase history on another, Amazon game library on another, and the Humble Bundle Wikipedia entry in another just to figure out what games you already have or don't have. :p

Last edited:
There are alot of games on sale that aren't listed on the pages either. Take the DCS titles for instance. A-10 is $16 and the chopper is like $5 right now.

How steep is the learning curve for that, it's seems to have impeccable reviews everywhere I look. I have tons of patience, but the closest thing I've played to a flight simulator is Ace Combat for consoles. Also will my system below max it out in multiplayer, gpu is only 1GB.

Ace Combat isn't a simulator... :p I'd suggest you start off w/a more lightweight sim or a survey sim but it seems those are non-existent these days since sims went by the wayside and mostly cater to the hadcore realism fan now. It's been years since I played any, IL2 Sturmovik might've been the last and I never got to devote as much time too it as I wanted.

Anyone else eying some of the the series packs? Assassin's Creed Pack and Splinter Cell Echelon Edition specifically ($50 and $30 respectively).

I've only played like one game in each of those series but most of the titles seem to have gotten mostly positive reviews. Will probably wait 'till the last day just in case the most recent title goes on flash sale and devalues the pack but I might pick one or both up...

I'm in for the Flash sale of Star Wars: Force Unleashed 2 for $4.99

I liked the first game...heard the 2nd wasn't all that great but for $5 I'm willing to give it a go

I woke up this morning and was greeted with happiness when I logged in to find Trine 2 won last night's vote. Thus, I picked up Trine and Trine 2 combo pack for $4.99. Day one was pretty uneventful for me. I picked up Trine, Trine 2, Trials 2, and some TF2 in-game stuff for around $10. I'm keeping my eye on the Bethesda and THQ packs though. I'm hoping Metro 2033 will be a flash/daily deal.

Anyone know why the "daily deals" actually last two days? Or is this only the case for the first set of daily deals? I noticed the ones up now expire later tonight (15 hours or so).

I liked the first game...heard the 2nd wasn't all that great but for $5 I'm willing to give it a go

There aren't many games I say this for: It's not even worth a penny. The gameplay mechanics are improved over the first game, but it's nowhere near as fun. The voice acting is horrible, the level design is complete crap, the story is non-nonsensical and quite frankly one of the worst video game stories I have seen in a long time, everything feels very repetitive, the boss fights suck, they rely way too much on QTEs for any moment that could otherwise be cool. Remember that awesome scene from the trailers with Starkiller pulling down a Star Destroyer? It's nothing but a long, annoying, frustratingly stupid, poorly conceived QTE. They never even bother to properly explain why Vader would want to clone Starkiller in the first place, he just does it for no real reason. The entire last level is horrible with terrible platforming sections and a long and tedious final boss battle capped off by dumb endings.

That is all without getting into one massive bug that they never bothered to fix. In the 4th level (I believe it was the 4th, if you count the two minutes you spend on Daggoba as a level) you can trigger a bug by doing something (dying in some random spot or the game just glitching) that will make it so you can't proceed further because the game won't let you pick up an item you need. This is about 45-minutes into the level and the only way to "fix" it is to restart the entire level over again and hope you don't randomly trigger the bug a second time.

The short version: TFU2 is a complete piece of shit and should be avoided at all costs.

I woke up this morning and was greeted with happiness when I logged in to find Trine 2 won last night's vote. Thus, I picked up Trine and Trine 2 combo pack for $4.99. Day one was pretty uneventful for me. I picked up Trine, Trine 2, Trials 2, and some TF2 in-game stuff for around $10. I'm keeping my eye on the Bethesda and THQ packs though. I'm hoping Metro 2033 will be a flash/daily deal.

Anyone know why the "daily deals" actually last two days? Or is this only the case for the first set of daily deals? I noticed the ones up now expire later tonight (15 hours or so).

They reset at 1 PM Eastern, and sometimes Valve gives a "grace period" to buy yesterdays deals in case you missed.

STEAM is killing me... I'm still on BF3 honeymoon. The only game I play for the last months in my limited playing time. Like you guys I have still a backlog of games from last year's steam summer sale... LOL...

I almost bought SR3, but I haven't played GTAIV yet... LOL, so I figured I'll pick it up at later date.

However I couldn't resist and I picked up Trine 2. Now I'm going to vote for Brink, don't care about other 2 games... Is Brink any decent FPS SP worth $5 if it wins?

How well do the old GTA games hold up? I've actually never played ANY of them, I'll probably pick up GTA IV Complete Edition for $15 but I'm wondering if San Andreas and Vice City are worth the extra $10 (complete pack) or if they'd just feel horribly dated at this point...

How well do the old GTA games hold up? I've actually never played ANY of them, I'll probably pick up GTA IV Complete Edition for $15 but I'm wondering if San Andreas and Vice City are worth the extra $10 (complete pack) or if they'd just feel horribly dated at this point...

I still say SA and VC are better than IV. They should still hold up and I believe there are ENB series mods for both of them.

Damn you Steam. I buy Trine this afternoon at $7.50 and in 10 minutes it's going to drop down to $3.75. :(

You broke the golden rule of Steam sales... if it's not a daily deal, don't buy it! A very large number of the deals that extend through the entire sale will see a daily deal that is lower. If they don't, you can always pick them up on the last day.

Yep. Even Aspyr's port is worse for the second game.

I's more than that, though. The story in the first game was freakin EPIC. Beginning to end, it was SW amped up, twisted and at times Shyamalan'd.

The second was a cookie cutter hack'nslash on rails with a transparent, linear story.

I's more than that, though. The story in the first game was freakin EPIC. Beginning to end, it was SW amped up, twisted and at times Shyamalan'd.

The second was a cookie cutter hack'nslash on rails with a transparent, linear story.

Yeah I mentioned that on the last page. I wouldn't say the first game's story was that amazing, but for a game it was very good and easily felt like it fit into the universe. It was better than some of the books at least.

Really hoping Amalur goes on sale, it's not discounted at all currently. :(

I guess Witcher2 was in the same boat tho and was one of the voteable choices, right?

Yeah I mentioned that on the last page. I wouldn't say the first game's story was that amazing, but for a game it was very good and easily felt like it fit into the universe. It was better than some of the books at least.

Ah... sorry about that. The thread progressed more than I cared to read last night, lol.

On an unrelated note for those that need space:
WD 2tb GP- $100
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1704827

Same here, though it is mainly for my 8 year old.

I almost bought SR3, but I haven't played GTAIV yet... LOL, so I figured I'll pick it up at later date.

Get Saint's Row 3. GTA4 is a fine game, but the fun factor was very limited. Saint's Row 3 has far more enjoyable gameplay.

New community vote up

Which game do you guys want the vote on being as I don't want those games?

Back