Steam 2012 Summer Sale 7/12-22!

Thanks for the updates OP!

I'm not sure I wanna tally up my damages, pretty sure it's just north of $200... :eek:

Thank you so much OP for updating the main page everyday. Thanks to you I was able to check what the new deals were while I was at work. I look forward to your post for the next major sale.

dang i thought all the sale prices said "through July 23rd" but i guess they said "up to July 23rd" or something. i was waiting to buy myst and lego harry potter and a couple other games in my wish list the last day if they didnt go on a daily deal. i guess i should have paid more attention. :(

So far, "The Secret of the Magic Crystal" has been the hit of the Summer Sale for me. Only $1.24 and my kid loves it.

I didn't think Jade Empire was that bad. It was kind of goofy, really. The story wasn't super but it wasn't terrible, either. It's good for one playthrough (not 5-10 like KOTOR). Nice visuals. Still easily worth the $3 or $4.

How come when I'm downloading a game and enter to play a different game, my download goes on pause? Is that normal?

I can't browse the web while I'm downloading. Just too slow with DSL.

How come when I'm downloading a game and enter to play a different game, my download goes on pause? Is that normal?

I can't browse the web while I'm downloading. Just too slow with DSL.

Yeah, its on purpose, so you don't slow down your game. I disabled it but just remember to check that your not downloading anything when you play mp.

Yeah, its on purpose, so you don't slow down your game. I disabled it but just remember to check that your not downloading anything when you play mp.

How do you disable that? Because I regularly play SP games and I want my other games to continue downloading. Looked through the settings and I couldn't find it.

You can also minimize your game to resume/start downloading another game. I didn't know there was a setting you could disable, though. I'm also interested.

thank goddess this is over, it only cost me about $40 this time, but i was tempted with jagged alliance at only $10

How do you disable that? Because I regularly play SP games and I want my other games to continue downloading. Looked through the settings and I couldn't find it.

I'm not sure, I'm looking for it. If I find it I'll let you know. It seems like I was playing counter-strike or something and I hit resume all and since then I have to manually pause stuff which is fine by me. I just pause everything when I'm playing an MP and then resume all when I'm done.

didn't take too much of a beating. $62 and change.

I regret buying
Streetfighter everything $15
Need for speed hot pursuit $5
Alan wake for $9.99

Mainly not happy with street fighter because it's gfwl and I don't feel like fighting for a refund. NFS I bought because it's supposed to be very similar to Burnout Paradise which is my favorite PC racer/collision timesink, but I'm afraid I won't like it. Alan wake I just don't see myself playing it before it goes on sale again. I have a decent Survival horror backlog.

Last edited:
GFWL sucks nuts. I can't watch Netflix on my 360 and play Batman at the same time.

Someone from Microsoft needs to jump out of a fucking window.

i always avoid GFWL , even if the games is good...

My only other option would be buying it for 360, and I've completely left console gaming.

I really want to play it, so I'll deal with it... but I'm not gonna make it last, gonna blast through it as quickly as possible.

Plus it's got a God Damn install limit on top of GFWL.

What a crock of shit.

I'm not sure, I'm looking for it. If I find it I'll let you know. It seems like I was playing counter-strike or something and I hit resume all and since then I have to manually pause stuff which is fine by me. I just pause everything when I'm playing an MP and then resume all when I'm done.

didn't take too much of a beating. $62 and change.

I regret buying
Streetfighter everything $15
Need for speed hot pursuit $5
Alan wake for $9.99

Mainly not happy with street fighter because it's gfwl and I don't feel like fighting for a refund. NFS I bought because it's supposed to be very similar to Burnout Paradise which is my favorite PC racer/collision timesink, but I'm afraid I won't like it. Alan wake I just don't see myself playing it before it goes on sale again. I have a decent Survival horror backlog.

I don't think you can go wrong with NFS:HP for $5. To me, it feels like Burnout car handling with realistic vehicles, which I like. Sure, it's unrealistic, arcade-like handling, all the cars have automatic shift, but the game sure is fun. When you play as cops, you try to slam into other racers in true Burnout fashion. I don't know if the online multiplayer community is alive and kicking though.

I missed the L4D2 deal during the sales (I was at work) but it looks it's this week's Midweek Madness. I know nearly everybody has the game but if anybody would be in for a 4-Pack I'd be in.

Neweggs email specials today include hard copies of Rage and Fallout New Vegas for the PC each at only $6 a piece.
I've never had a problem with GFWL though it is annoying, but no more so than Steam or Origin ...etc
(cheap ass games make up for it all, GFWL has deals here and there also, download mngrs are never good as a general rule)

I'm not sure if/when L4D series will ever die.... it's one of those games you can always jump in for a quick game. It's not overly complicated so you're not going to forget how to play - there are lots of games I don't go back to simply because I don't want to re-learn the options. That's a big plus to keeping it on the hard drive.... not sure if there's a hardcore community anymore (probably is) but tons of folks hop on for a game or two now and again.

I don't think you can go wrong with NFS:HP for $5. To me, it feels like Burnout car handling with realistic vehicles, which I like. Sure, it's unrealistic, arcade-like handling, all the cars have automatic shift, but the game sure is fun. When you play as cops, you try to slam into other racers in true Burnout fashion. I don't know if the online multiplayer community is alive and kicking though.

No way. The AI is rubberbanded which alone kills any single player enjoyment there might otherwise be, the online community contains endless hacking (every pub game I've ever played online has had at least 1 hacker in it), and you have to put up with endless advertisements which I personally find unacceptable in a computer game. We won't even mention the boring linear straight line tracks, the pathetic fake physics, and the awful music.

For me is fun>realism with racing. I was fan of Burnout Paradise for a couple reasons, the PC version is just plain incredibly beautiful I have yet to see anything really compare to it. Secondly I dig just cruising around the massive city looking for jumping and unlocks. Lastly I like that I can just driving around looking for races or fights. It reminds me of Tokyo Extreme Racer. Hopefully NFSHP is similar. I really don't care about so called realism. I'll never own a racecar and if I did I wouldn't be desperate to emulate the feeling. I keep hearing that GRID is super realistic but idk I can't play it the controls seem sensitive beyond correction. The cars in that game spin out on simple turns @ 60pmh I can pull out in my junkpile cargo van.

No way. The AI is rubberbanded which alone kills any single player enjoyment there might otherwise be, the online community contains endless hacking (every pub game I've ever played online has had at least 1 hacker in it), and you have to put up with endless advertisements which I personally find unacceptable in a computer game. We won't even mention the boring linear straight line tracks, the pathetic fake physics, and the awful music.

I really hope you're just being whiny and cynical. Sorta wishing I'd have picked up Driver San Fransisco instead now though.

Red Orchestra 2 - $4.99
Portal 2 - $8.74
Dead Island - $10.19
Grand Theft Auto IV - $5.99
Company of Heroes - $1.49
Magicka - Four Pack - $7.49
L.A. Noire - $4.99
Batman Arkham City + Harley Quinn DLC - $13.58
Alan Wake Bundle - $9.99
Payday: The Heist - $4.99
Trine 2 - $3.74

Not too bad :) Only $76.18 for some good quality games!

I really hope you're just being whiny and cynical. Sorta wishing I'd have picked up Driver San Fransisco instead now though.
He is not being whiny about the rubber banding -- in some instances it's not even funny. One of the challenge levels was giving me a hard time and a lot of frustration ; even when I'd pick a faster car and use the nitro the opponent would outrun me by far. But it's not all like that. While it has it's annoying moments the game remains fun in my opinion.

He is not being whiny about the rubber banding -- in some instances it's not even funny. One of the challenge levels was giving me a hard time and a lot of frustration ; even when I'd pick a faster car and use the nitro the opponent would outrun me by far. But it's not all like that. While it has it's annoying moments the game remains fun in my opinion.

This is something I was thinking about the other day. I've always enjoyed the NFS games, but I hate the rubberbanding AI that's been in so many of them. I know this isn't the appropriate thread, but I'd like to view a list of games that don't do this. I realize the intent, but they should have made it an option that you can enable/disable. Those who want realism could disable it; those who want more "fun" competitive races (at the sake of cheapness/unfairness/unrealistic behavior) could enable it.

For me is fun>realism with racing. I was fan of Burnout Paradise for a couple reasons, the PC version is just plain incredibly beautiful I have yet to see anything really compare to it. Secondly I dig just cruising around the massive city looking for jumping and unlocks. Lastly I like that I can just driving around looking for races or fights. It reminds me of Tokyo Extreme Racer. Hopefully NFSHP is similar. I really don't care about so called realism. I'll never own a racecar and if I did I wouldn't be desperate to emulate the feeling. I keep hearing that GRID is super realistic but idk I can't play it the controls seem sensitive beyond correction. The cars in that game spin out on simple turns @ 60pmh I can pull out in my junkpile cargo van.

I make a clear differentiation in my mind for "fun" vs "real" racing, and I enjoy both types a great deal.

GRID is not realistic. It tries to straddle the arcade vs simulation line and it does it poorly, only pleasing those that want to think they're racing the real thing because the features and fake physics make it too complex to be an arcade game yet it's not accurately complex, merely artificially complex. Skills learned to race well in the system used in GRID will be worthless in a real simulator like rfactor or iracing because they're absolutely exclusive to the artificial environment GRID creates.

Burnout Paradise, Burnout Takedown, Burnout Revenge are all great arcade racing games. Flatout 2/UC is a great arcade racing game. NFS Porsche Unleashed was a great arcade racing game. NFSHP is a bad arcade racing game (and it's not even really NFSHP as that game was released in 1998 and was quite solid). The first hour won't seem so bad, but the more you play it the more you'll hate it. It's fucking pathetic that Criterion, the people behind all the great Burnout games, are the ones responsible for this travesty. It feels like Burnout handling because it fucking is. It just lacks all the great things that made the Burnout games awesome.

edit: imyourzero: absolutely, there's no excuse to force rubberbanding onto everyone in this age of gaming. It sucked when it first appeared, and it will always suck. The primary reason it is used is to cover up for the AI coding which, in games like NFSHP, is practically nonexistent.

Last edited:

N4S games have sucked a large one for a while now, but at least it's racing. Driver on the other hand is pretty damn fun to play, but the missions are bland.

I think you'd be equally happy with either. They're both good for a few hours.

Red Orchestra 2 - $4.99
Portal 2 - $8.74
Dead Island - $10.19
Grand Theft Auto IV - $5.99
Company of Heroes - $1.49
Magicka - Four Pack - $7.49
L.A. Noire - $4.99
Batman Arkham City + Harley Quinn DLC - $13.58
Alan Wake Bundle - $9.99
Payday: The Heist - $4.99
Trine 2 - $3.74

Not too bad :) Only $76.18 for some good quality games!

Portal 2 was $4.99, why did you pay more for it? :confused:

With this post, this thread is now up to 2,121 posts. :eek:

And what all games does that entail?

Mostly bad games I bought and haven't finished, Dead Space 2, ColdFear, Fear 2&3, Silent Hill 3, 4, homecoming, and downpour. Honestly not sure why I buy these when I never get around to playing them.

Currently finishing Dead island and then I gotta finish this game called Deadly premonition

Portal 2 was $4.99, why did you pay more for it? :confused:

With this post, this thread is now up to 2,121 posts. :eek:

My suspicion would be that he bought a 2-pack or DLC of which it has both.

Back