Steam 2012 Summer Sale 7/12-22!

Thinking about CitiesXL 2012. Any thoughts?

Have you played the others? I owned Cities XL, skipped 2011, and picked up 2012 when it was on sale. At it's core, it's exactly the same game. It adds some new buildings and things, which is neat, but it feels more like a DLC pack than anything else. The one thing I liked was that it removed the pesky semi-forced online aspect.

If you've never played one of them, for $10 there is a ton of fun to be had if you like city builders. If you have one of the others, just consider it a DLC at best. If $10 is worth the price of admission for that, then go for it.

Did ubi ever remove their shitastic drm from assassins creed?

Not completely but they did tone it down a lot. I know you don't have to be online the whole time you are playing anymore but its not completely gone.

Not completely but they did tone it down a lot. I know you don't have to be online the whole time you are playing anymore but its not completely gone.

Is it a one time login/activation or is it it login every time before you play?

Is it a one time login/activation or is it it login every time before you play?

http://www.shacknews.com/article/67015/ubisofts-drm-no-longer-requires

Users on Reddit are reporting that the PC versions of Assassin's Creed II and Splinter Cell: Conviction, previously infected with Ubisoft's always-on DRM, no longer require a constant connection to the Internet to be played (via PC Gamer)

Now, the games will supposedly only check legitimacy over the Internet every time the game is launched, but can then be played offline. It's not quite hassle free, but it's certainly better than having to maintain a constant connection or suffer an interruption in gameplay, especially in singleplayer campaigns.

I'm wondering how this DRM would work with Steam's offline mode. Once you switch to offline mode, Steam doesn't need an internet connection...but I'm thinking AC2 would still do its check since I highly doubt changing the Steam mode overrides that. Someone with it installed should test it out.

Now I'm hating Steam. Civilization collection (together or separated), rage, age of empires iii, waaaaahh.

http://forums.steamgames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=30818926

That thread answer my questions. It sounds like you one need to login once, but it still has some launcher and BS attached to it even though you can play offline. I still don't think I'm going to support ubisoft though. Especially if I'd need to go get a crack or some warez version to get rid of their BS to enjoy the game. It's the same with some GFWL games. I hate it with a passion. Dirt3 was ridiculous. It came for free with a video card and still it was BS. And lo and behold a cracked exe made it a wonderful and simply perfect game.

I hate companies that force drm like this on their paying customers, especially when the pirates have the game the way it should be. Even something as minuscule as a launcher.

Those flash deals are killing my wallet. $100 total this year so far. My backlog is growing very large of games I have bought and never played. :)

Good grief. Finally got it to go thru about 4PM today. Cant believe it took that long to get it to go thru. I never did get the Android app or the mobile website to work and it took forever to get the desktop version to go thru. I really hope Steam does some serious upgrading after this so theyll be ready for the year end sales that are always the biggest of the year.

Wow and here come the summer sale repeats in the flash and voting sales.

Instead of buying Close Quarters DLC for Battlefield 3, I could get Saints Row The Third AND Trine 2. Hmm, one hour left to make my choice!

Good grief. Finally got it to go thru about 4PM today. Cant believe it took that long to get it to go thru. I never did get the Android app or the mobile website to work and it took forever to get the desktop version to go thru. I really hope Steam does some serious upgrading after this so theyll be ready for the year end sales that are always the biggest of the year.

They've upgraded something. I haven't tried to use the mobile app, but my download speeds have been great for this sale. In the past when their servers have gotten pounded, I was lucky to get 200-300KB down. And that's assuming that the downloads would even start without giving me an "error/please try again later" message. I've consistently gotten at least 1.9MB down for everything I've purchased this time.

Dear Esther looks intriguing. Anyone recommend it? (I like all genres.)

Well if you want to roam around for about an hour while listening to a fragmented and cryptic story at a snail's pace, go for it. Cause that's the whole "game".

I don't understand... turn down the settings? Even at medium settings, the game looks better than most other titles out there. It has the capability to run fine and look gorgeous on a 560 Ti 448.

It looks bad on playable settings. I don't even think it looks that great on high settings. I was totally shocked when I launched it for the first time. I was expecting to be blown away given all of the hoopla about the visuals.

No big deal. I'll pick it up again in 1-2 years when I have a 2x better gpu.

It looks bad on playable settings. I don't even think it looks that great on high settings. I was totally shocked when I launched it for the first time. I was expecting to be blown away given all of the hoopla about the visuals.

No big deal. I'll pick it up again in 1-2 years when I have a 2x better gpu.

I don't think it's the game that's the problem but your system. Metro runs great for me and looks gorgeous, dx11 fully maxed is just prettiness everywhere. I thought even dx9 looked good when I tried it out.

They've upgraded something. I haven't tried to use the mobile app, but my download speeds have been great for this sale. In the past when their servers have gotten pounded, I was lucky to get 200-300KB down. And that's assuming that the downloads would even start without giving me an "error/please try again later" message. I've consistently gotten at least 1.9MB down for everything I've purchased this time.

What download server are you using? I am never able to get past 900kB ...

My dl speeds haven't been bad at all. The other night while downloading MP3, I was solid at 3MB down; those 30GBs went by pretty quickly!

Pendulo adventure games any good? I generally like adventure games (good for long flights and train rides). Worth picking those up for $15?

I would vote for Risen 2 because everyone and their mothers already own batman AC and witcher 2. However, Risen 2 is $49.99 and if it wins it'll go down only 33% or $33.50, it's not that enticing to me at that price. I'd rather knock down Witcher 2 some more so those who missed out on it has more reason to play it.

Voted for Witcher 2 because I believe that may be the game that would be purchased most of the 3. That is typically what I do if I already own the game or have little interest in the vote...

I voted for Witcher 2 as well. That would be the one I'd most likely buy out of the three.

Really 11.99 for crysis 2? piss off.

It's actually worth that, I really enjoyed it (and multiplayer) but not when you know it's been $5 in the past... but your comment just kind of made me realize, Steam's sales in general have sucked, and they are playing so many stupid little games for us to get the deals, yet this thread is still 56 pages and counting.

Amazon, for example, had much better deals a few days before (MP3 for $24.99 for example, but still people raved when it hit $29.99 on Steam), and Amazon, Greenmangaming, Gamersgate, Cdkeyhouse, the list goes on... they just list all their sales and are done with it. No crappy contest and sale reposts and missing sales just because other people didn't vote for it... just my little rant

Back