Steam 2012 Summer Sale 7/12-22!

I also have the peculiar preference to have a hard copy DVD of the games I consider AAA and special. For instance, no matter how cheap fallout 3 and fallout new vegas are during these sales, I will not purchase them preferring to get the DVD hard copy. I like to have it displayed on my shelf of favorite video games :) Isn't this weird? Please tell me some of you have this habit as well! :D

I used to prefer hard copies but now it's mostly based on where I can get the game cheapest (legit ways, not through piracy)...plus most games nowadays use Steamworks so even if I purchase the hard copy it will still install on Steam anyway and I will never need the hard copy again...I'm not into displaying my game covers but I do love displaying my Blu-ray movies on a shelf...I usually only buy special editions of Blu-ray's nowadays over games

I'm conflicted on Assassin's Creed. I've never seen or played any of them. I don't do multiplayer; single player only. Which do I choose:

$44.79 Assassin's Creed Pack
- Assassin's Creed: Director's Cut Edition
- Assassin's Creed II: Deluxe Edition
- Assassin's Creed Brotherhood: Deluxe Edition
- Assassin's Creed Revelations: Gold Edition

OR

$16.99 Assassin's Creed Revelations - Gold Edition
- Assassin's Creed Revelations
- Assassin's Creed Revelations - The Ancestors Character Pack
- Assassin's Creed Revelations - Mediterranean Traveler Map Pack
- Assassin's Creed Revelations - The Lost Archive

OR

$13.59 Assassin's Creed Revelations

Advice?

I'm conflicted on Assassin's Creed. I've never seen or played any of them. I don't do multiplayer; single player only. Which do I choose:

OR

OR

Advice?

Get the Assassin's Creed Pack they are all great games and if you just got Revelations the story would not make any sense at all.

OR

OR

Advice?

I really like the Assassin's Creed series. Between all four games, I've probably logged close to 100 hours. $45 is a good deal for what you get. Either get that, or get nothing. As everyone else has said, you'll have no idea what's going on without playing the others.

One thing I'll say though, if you get them all, don't judge the series by the first game. It's not nearly as good. As a proof of concept, its great. It feels and plays great. As a setup to the universe and story it's fine. The problem is the core gameplay is super repetitive. You basically have the exact same mission nine times, with different names and locations. By the end, you'll be well ready for it to be over. The second game is overwhelming better in the amount of content, the variety of the missions, and the evolution of the story.

you don't really need the first Assassin's Creed game to follow the story...it really starts with AC2 as far as I'm concerned...plus Ezio is a much better character then Altair from the first game...much more personality

I beg of you people to vote for Metro 2033. It has been on my wishlist for a very long time...I just couldn't justify $30 for it.

I beg of you people to vote for Metro 2033. It has been on my wishlist for a very long time...I just couldn't justify $30 for it.

Lol, it's been on sale for $5 like, at LEAST a dozen times. At LEAST.

Bought Max Payne 3 for thirty bucks seemed good deal to me.Now I have to wait for it to download:(

Shows you how observant I am...

Just to give you a heads up...Head over to greanmangaing...Metro is 4.98 there right now...Greenmangaming is a great legit site that game keys are steam based so buy away...Most times I go back and forth between steam and gmg and find that gmg has better prices...It's where I got skyrim on one of there good sales

http://www.greenmangaming.com/

What do you think about Civilization V Game of the Year Edition? It's 20 euros instead of 40, -50%.

What do you think about Civilization V Game of the Year Edition? It's 20 euros instead of 40, -50%.

If you're new to the series it's great, if you've been playing the games a while be aware that it's nowhere near as deep and the AI kind of sucks. I highly recommend getting Gods and Kings.

It's cool. There are some changes from Civ IV, but overall it's a fun Civ game. Graphics are pretty cool too, fwiw, and uses DX11.

Picked up;
Legend of Grimrock
Sonic Generations
Bindings of Isaac

Voted Fear just because Metro and both Bioshocks have been around $5-1515 like at least once a month since the start of the year (on Amazon alone).

Last edited:
I used to prefer hard copies but now it's mostly based on where I can get the game cheapest (legit ways, not through piracy)...plus most games nowadays use Steamworks so even if I purchase the hard copy it will still install on Steam anyway and I will never need the hard copy again...I'm not into displaying my game covers but I do love displaying my Blu-ray movies on a shelf...I usually only buy special editions of Blu-ray's nowadays over games

I used to do that, all the best deals are on digital copies tho so I don't really bother anymore, a disc ain't worth even $5 extra. The display of icons on my dock will have to suffice... The ol' shelf is stocked full of old school games anyway, including some floppies. :D

It's cool. There are some changes from Civ IV, but overall it's a fun Civ game. Graphics are pretty cool too, fwiw, and uses DX11.
And also previous posts:

I hope so then. I can wait, that offer is until 23th July. Until now I've bought all Tomb Raider's and Saint's Row. I though on buying Street Fighter too but I preferred Tomb Raider.
Let's see what more has Steam to offer.

Just to give you a heads up...Head over to greanmangaing...Metro is 4.98 there right now...Greenmangaming is a great legit site that game keys are steam based so buy away...Most times I go back and forth between steam and gmg and find that gmg has better prices...It's where I got skyrim on one of there good sales

http://www.greenmangaming.com/

Wow! Company of Heroes is $2.48 right now. A must have for great fast paced RTS strategy action! http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/company-heroes/ (Steam activated)

I am tempted to get LOTR:WitN. I know it didn't get the best reviews, but for $10 it's the cheapest I've seen it yet: http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/the-lord-of-the-rings-war-in-the-north/

Shows you how observant I am...

It will go on sale for $5 or less at some point during this sale

Also I have a dues ex HR key from an AMD card and wonder if anyone wants to buy me the $5 tribes ascend as a gift in exchange for that. Gone

I also have a DC universe the last laugh key with 1000 station cash and wonder if anyone wants to offer anything for that, honestly I dont even have a clue what it is worth.

Last edited:
So far I've only picked up The Walking Dead. That's more a testament to the ridiculousness of my backlog than my self-restraint, though. I was about to buy it the other night for $25 since I'm a big fan of the show, but I knew the summer sale was coming up and hoped it would go on sale. Turns out that paid off.

Right now I have MP3, AC: Rev and Batman: AC in my cart. But that would mean ~$80 spent on only 4 games...still a good deal when you consider the quality of the titles, but I probably wouldn't get around to finishing any of them except MP3 until the Thanksgiving/Christmas sales (I'm still working through AC1 and Batman: AA, believe it or not).

Also, regarding the bundles, sometimes they make sense and sometimes they don't. I felt kind of taken before when I bought one of the major bundles and then a few months later it went on sale for the same price and had one or two big-name titles added to it. But now, looking at the THQ bundle I see that they have removed some games and added others. This doesn't make it worth purchasing again, but it does look like they try to keep the bundles current by adding more popular/recent titles and removing older/less popular titles (for example, the THQ bundle once included some of the Red Faction games and SR2 but now includes Darksiders and SR3 instead...no Darksiders II though and SR2/RF were dropped). I'm not sure this adds more value, but if they change enough titles in the bundles vs. just adding (and not removing) games it does increase the chance that someone who purchased a particular bundle a while back might purchase it again if the discount is deep enough. And they do have "gotchas" in there that mean you may end up purchasing a game twice (and losing a copy in a bundle that can't be gifted) or you'll spend more by buying them separately. For instance, the THQ bundle includes only the first S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game. So some people will be stuck buying the bundle + the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. collection and losing a copy of SoC, or buying the THQ bundle + the other two S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games separately and losing the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. bundle discount. I still think it's BS that duplicates gained by buying bundles can't be gifted, but it's something I'm willing to overlook given the deep discounts.

Bottom line, the bundles are usually WELL worth it if you don't have any of the titles or only have 1-2. Any more than a few and you're probably better off buying only the games you want vs. buying a bundle that includes games you don't want. I bought some of the major bundles (THQ, Valve, iD, etc.) a few years ago to get the majority of the games at a big discount, and even though the bundles change every few months (usually during each big sale) to include different games you're better off waiting for big discounts on any titles that have been left out of the bundle and just adding those in a piecemeal fashion.

I actually had it for PS3 and traded it. It was great for co-op IMO. Don't expect a good story or anything more than simple, fun, cover-based shooting.

I'd re-buy for $5. If you're really hurting for co-op, then $7 is probably worth it.

Get R6: Raven Shield instead. Older but a far, far better game.

Anyone ever play Nuclear Dawn? Saw it for 4.99...wasn't sure if it was any good and if people were still playing it.

is F.E.A.R. 3 worth $13.39?

I liked the first F.E.A.R. game along with the expansions but havn't heard good things about the sequels...I was thinking that under $8 would be a better deal...is F.E.A.R. 3 worth it?

FEAR 3 sucks big time. I paid $7 and I felt completely ripped off.

New Flash Deal

Alan Wake - $7.49
Alan Wake Franchise (collectors edition and american nightmare included) - $9.99

Bought Binding of Isaac, want to break my fucking keyboard because I keep dying near the end of Cave II.

Thinking of buying Payday, but it seems heavily reliant on multiplayer. Anyone know if the game is pretty active? Only active when there are sales?

Edit: seems like people are playing it on page 8 so I'm grabbing it. Steam is Raralith if they want to play with a noob, heh.

$9.99 for Alan Wake franchise is a great deal

Yes it is.. Awesome underrated game.

How is Alan Wake for the PC? Worth the $8?

Really?

Never understand these questions. people wait for games to be cheap. Cause 50-60$ is alot of a risk. Then they come down to 10$ or less.. IS IT WORTH THE RISK........ /facepalm

How is Alan Wake for the PC? Worth the $8?

I played through the 360 version at launch and really enjoyed it. I'm planning on playing through it again and the expansion. I thought the story was excellent and well worth $10 IMO.

Well I held off as long as I could but I can't pass up the Alan Wake Franchise for $9.99
Ive heard lots of good things about it and you cant go wrong with two games for only $9.99

whelp just found out the fun way that SFIV uses GFWL. FML time to go ask for a refund.

zjuqmo.jpg

GFWL WHY YOU JUST LEAVE ME THE FUCK ALONE?????

Back