Steam 2012 Christmas sale is here! runs from Dec 20- Jan 6

Yeah, for anyone that buys KOTR 2, make sure you download The Sith Lords Restoration Project (TSLRP). TSLRP completes the game with the content that was on the disc, but never released / finished. Also, there are mods to change the resolution and add HD textures.

didn't know there was an HD texture pack thanks for the info im going to try it when i get home :D

Any chance that Steam will bring back some of the sales on the last day (1/6/13)? I think they did that a couple years ago.

Any chance that Steam will bring back some of the sales on the last day (1/6/13)? I think they did that a couple years ago.

Id keep checking back through the week. It seems like some of the flash sales and vote sales have been repeats of earlier sales.

There appears to be no rhyme or reason to the sales this year. I've seen CS:GO on sale once for 75% off and at least twice for 50% off. Same with DOTA and some other games. Miner Wars even had a community vote for 50% when 50% off is the normal sale price.

Id keep checking back through the week. It seems like some of the flash sales and vote sales have been repeats of earlier sales.
Yeah, I'll do that. I'm kind of thinking I should've bought "Payday" when it was $5. The following day, it was at $10. If it's at $5 again, I think I'll pull the trigger this time. :cool: But not sure if I'll get the DLC "rice" stuff. Does anyone here play it and their thoughts?

I've got the same curiosity with Payday. Something that shouldn't be missed is: Hotline Miami. ..plug in a dual stick controller and loose your sanity.

Ninja Edit: Did anyone else notice that all of the James Bond titles are gone?

Yeah, I'll do that. I'm kind of thinking I should've bought "Payday" when it was $5. The following day, it was at $10. If it's at $5 again, I think I'll pull the trigger this time. :cool: But not sure if I'll get the DLC "rice" stuff. Does anyone here play it and their thoughts?

I think payday is a steal for $5 and I would buy the dlc as well if its cheap.
The dlc for me was mostly for the new levels, but if you have freinds with the dlc, you dont have to have it to play the levels.

I wasn't crazy about the guns/skill sets that come with the dlc..
The new pistol is fun but drains ammo like crazy, and the ak is supposed to be really powerful but every couple reloads you throw the gun around and its really slow. The sentry gun is basically a gimick, you can't carry ammo or health if you have it.

Last edited:

It's $5 on a flash deal right now.

IMO the deals the past several days have sucked. I think it's actually less of an issue with the games displayed as the price they are asking. A lot of these games are just meh. For $5 I'd bite, but no way for $10-20.

Payday is one of those games everyone should have, like Left 4 Dead 2. And as much as I hate DLC, they give you so much stuff for your $2.49 (when it's on sale) that it's worth it.

Amazon has Hotline Miami down to $5! Cash in those $5 Amazon coupons for a free Steam game. :)
Lol thanks for the update! Free game!

Just noticed it said it has Steam DRM, yet I get a direct download link from Amazon. Did they run out of keys or something? Also, if I get the Amazon download, do I have a DRM-free copy?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Price up to $7.49 now ... but that game looks wicked hard on youtube.

Lol thanks for the update! Free game!

Just noticed it said it has Steam DRM, yet I get a direct download link from Amazon. Did they run out of keys or something? Also, if I get the Amazon download, do I have a DRM-free copy?

Works fine on steam for me.Just did it myslef.. Just go to your Software Library in Amazon and select reveal game key and copy and paste that into steam and it should work.

It was a price mistake Amazon fix the price that's why its back to 7.49 pickup 3 copies lol 2 free and one for 2.49 early on ;)

Well thanks for the heads up....I'm sure its worth $2.49 after credit. On steam its still 4.99 on sale. Hmmm...to wait or not.

i havent bought a damn thing from steam sales so far. They are mostly games I have or are so underwhelming. While amazon has better sales.

I still haven't bought from Steam cause there sales suck. Amazon same to me it sucks. So far I bought 1 game Medal of Honor Warfighter that came with all dlc from D2P. I'm hoping Steam gets of there ass and has a good sale the last day.

i havent bought a damn thing from steam sales so far. They are mostly games I have or are so underwhelming. While amazon has better sales.

I was in the same boat at first too, but I took the direct opposite approach to this sale from my normal one. Since my backlog is mainly growing with games that I'll either not play any time soon or not play on a regular basis, I used this sale to pick up three of the bigger recent releases to play through while they're still buzz worthy.

So my steam sale so far:

Far Cry 3 (and absolutely loving it, might even be my game of the year for 2012)
Borderlands 2 (it's cool, but really just more of the same from the first one)
Max Payne 3, which I haven't tried yet.

all told, I still spent the amount I normally do but I got games that I'm going to play rather than games I'll barely touch and only use to pad my already large collection.

Guys, do you think Super Meat Boy will go on sale again?

I just started playing The Binding of Isaac and I really like Edmund McMillen's work (like SMB). TBoI really has its own character, the HUD and level design strongly resembles Zelda and there are so many quirky and endearing tidbits. Isaac attacks his enemies by crying on them. :D

How.
DARE.
YOU!?!?!

But seriously, KOTOR is a lot better, and I'll bite anyone that says otherwise.

It's largely more of the same, less polish. Make sure you go out and get all of the community patches that fixed it up top where it was supposed to be. There is an entire saga about its development that rivals the story of the game.

I can't really agree. I'm a big fan of both the KOTORs and the Mass Effects, and think they are of equal quality given when they came out. Mass Effect is clearly more polished, having come out later, and Mass Effect 2 is by far the best of them all.

The voice acting in Mass Effect is considerably better and the story is far more involving IMO. You really have to take your hat off to a game that creates an original universe of such complexity and make it so special. I also think the idea of having the main characters speak is a brilliant one, as opposed to just click text then hear voice answer then click text and then hear more voice answers. It doesn't hurt that it also had the best facial animations I had ever seen to date.

Both KOTORs have excellent storylines, and are hands down the best games ever made in the Star Wars universe. They also innovated with the light side and dark side characterizations.

As to Mass Effect 3, the reason the storyline and writing wasn't on the same level as the first two is that BioWare had lost their greatest asset: the superb writer of ME 1/2.

I actually picked up several items during this holiday season, though from a variety of sources.

From Steam specifically, I purchased

X-Com - sheer genius and a ton of fun. Still playing it.

Deus Ex HR - I never played it and is on top of list when I get some time

Mark of the Ninja - played an hour or two and very cute and original platformer

FTL - I saw the vid, saw the comments and thought I'd try it, Gave it two hours and gave up on it. I can think of much funner roguelikes frankly, such as Dungeons of Dredmor (with mods), or even Torchlight II set on Hardcore mode (see how far you make it with Veteran level).

Torchlight II - Got a pack and gave the other copies to the kids here: 2 nephews and one 10-year-old cousin. We set up 4-way LAN and it was a TON of fun. The game runs almost maxxed even on an i3-laptop with Intel 3000 graphics.

Crusader Kings II - I picked this up on a flash sale for $9.99. This is also sheer genius, but the learning curve is nasty. I read the tutorials, but what helped were some video tutorials on YouTube. The sheer richness of this game, and flexibility is absolutely astonishing. Really I cannot say enough about this game. It looks gorgeous, you are constantly doing things. BUT you need to get past that first learning curve. If you do, the fun is endless. Pick up a duke and start backstabbing and conquering your way to greatness. The game is not about an empire but a dynasty. You need to build the family into as powerful as it can get in 400 years. Make sure you have an heir or it is game over when the protagonist dies. For example, you only have daughters? Then either marry them off and declare one of their sons as heir (uniting the kingdoms) or change the succession laws (tough but doable), etc. Another thing worth mentioning is the amazing number of mods. Game of Thrones anyone?

For my log I also picked up Batman Arkham City GOTY and Mass Effect 1/2 on the cheap. Actually I wanted to see whether they would run ok on my new full HD laptop I bought for a steal on Black Friday (they do).

The games I am actually playing are X-Com and Crusader Kings II. CKII will easily outlast them all though with the replayability and amazing mods.

Outside of Steam, I purchased the last few (incredible) Humble Bundles and Guild Wars 2 when it went on sale. Sadly I already stopped GW2. It is superb, no complaints, I just don't have the time to put into it.

Last edited:
Dude, my cousin recommended me The Binding Of Isaac before the steam sale for $8 (original plus expansion) but couldn't bite on it at the time due to price but for $2 it is more than worth it. I've already played over 30 hours on this game and don't see myself stopping.

I actually felt the same way about this game regarding its resemblance to Zelda and its quirks.

Also, I may have to bite on Super Meat Boy if it goes on sale for around the same price. :)

But yeah to everyone else, this game is worth the $2 maybe $5 but I'm a cheapo. :p

Guys, do you think Super Meat Boy will go on sale again?

I just started playing The Binding of Isaac and I really like Edmund McMillen's work (like SMB). TBoI really has its own character, the HUD and level design strongly resembles Zelda and there are so many quirky and endearing tidbits. Isaac attacks his enemies by crying on them. :D

I love how steam advertised the vote of counter strike go for 50%. Now it's 25% off at $11.24.
so shady

Don't buy anything 5 minutes after the titles change ... the prices don't seem to immediately adjust. It's at 50% now anyways.

I'm hoping SR3 Full comes back again. I'm hoping to gift it to someone.

Does anyone know if flash sales repeat, or are games on daily sale once and then flash sale once? I can't remember if SR3 was already a flash sale.

I still haven't bought from Steam cause there sales suck. Amazon same to me it sucks. So far I bought 1 game Medal of Honor Warfighter that came with all dlc from D2P. I'm hoping Steam gets of there ass and has a good sale the last day.

You claim Steam and Amazon suck then buy Medal of Honor Warfighter? You may want to look up the word suck.

Back