Steam 2012 Christmas sale is here! runs from Dec 20- Jan 6

dammit miss it! and it looks like i was wrong only the encore are on sale everything else went pffffff :(

That made my day. I'm gonna drive up to Microcenter and use the 12.00 I saved to put towards a new SSD.

There are no "logical decisions". No choice in the game is right or wrong.

I'd have to agree with this. My wife loves these type of games but I have never played anything like this that held my attention more than a few minutes. The exception is The Walking Dead. We both like the series and both find this game a little unique and diferent.

dammit miss it! and it looks like i was wrong only the encore are on sale everything else went pffffff :(

Yeah, I had a few things on my wishlist, and all are regular price now, oh well.

I've decided to buy Morrowmind or Oblivion since I enjoy Skyrim. Is one better than the other? Or are they both worth $5?

Morrowind unique but a bit dated, plenty of mods. Oblivion a classic with nearly limitless mod potential.

I've decided to buy Morrowmind or Oblivion since I enjoy Skyrim. Is one better than the other? Or are they both worth $5?

It's complicated. I'm tempted to say Morrowind is by far the better game but that isn't entirely true. Morrowind is deeper, it has a better story, leveling actually matters, and there are a lot more options for everything BUT the game is pretty janky without mods. Combat in Morrowind is, quite frankly, terrible. Oblivion and Skyrim went a long way in improving the feel of combat. There is really no "impact" to weapon strikes in Morrowind, it just feels flat and dull. I have many many many hours of nostalgia to call on for Morrowind and it's expansions (Blood Moon especially) but it has not aged well. I'd recommend the game with mods.

Now as for Oblivion. Let's get this out of the way first: I can't stand vanilla Oblivion. I think it is a terrible game without a bunch of mods. The story is trash, the way the world levels with you makes leveling entirely pointless, the Oblivion gates are poorly designed, Bethesda stripped most of the complexity and customization from Morrowind. Oblivion was very clearly made for the 360 with virtually no thought put into the PC version. The UI is terrible (worse than Skyrim in some ways, better in others). Shivering Isles is about the only thing that saves vanilla Oblivion. While all of the game's problems are still there the writing is witty and it's a fun story. Bethesda made some combat improvements over Morrowind but it's nowhere near Skyrim. There is still a distinct lack of "impact" from melee and the bow & arrow combat is terrible. I only recommend Oblivion with a few gigs worth of mods.

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking Oblivion may be my best bet since I'm a mod whore with most PC games.

7.49 seems like a good price for witcher 2. I searched forums for opinions on it but came up short. thoughts?

7.49 seems like a good price for witcher 2. I searched forums for opinions on it but came up short. thoughts?

It's pretty good. Interesting story that is actually mature. By mature I mean grown up and serious not just blood, guts, and titties (though it has all of those as well). It's a great looking game that is still very demanding on hardware. The combat system is pretty good and over-all it's a great, lengthy, RPG. I paid quite a bit more than $7.49 and don't regret it.

one of my favorites of all time. it was well worth it when i paid full price on release, and there are very few games i would say that about. once you figure out the combat system (which takes some getting used to), it's a blast. the story is interesting, decisions matter, and the game has some of the best gfx you'll see.

Dammit, I wish I knew about the $5 price mistake for Sleeping Dogs. It looks like Grand Theft Auto - Hong Kong!

is civ V gods and kings worth $7.50? i got the base game probably last winter and still havent played it yet but plan to soonish.

is civ V gods and kings worth $7.50? i got the base game probably last winter and still havent played it yet but plan to soonish.
Gods & Kings is a MUST HAVE for Civ V. WIthout it, the game doesn't quite live up to the Civilization name; however, with it, Gods & Kings makes Civ V one of the best strategy games.

Its more like Mafia 2 hong kong but still very good. Its one of my favorite games this year.

Yes and no. It succeeds where Mafia 2 fails. Not only is the story interesting but there are actual side-quests and things to do beyond going from story mission to story mission and feeling like half the game is missing because the published ripped it out to sell later as DLC.

I picked it up today for $7.49...I hear nothing but great things about the Witcher franchise...I picked up Witcher 1 on a Steam sale last year for $2.49...$9.98 for both games is a steal

Gods & Kings is a MUST HAVE for Civ V. WIthout it, the game doesn't quite live up to the Civilization name; however, with it, Gods & Kings makes Civ V one of the best strategy games.

Completely agree. I tired Civ V alone and it failed to really impress. Nice graphics and all, but was just lacking. Then along came Gods and Kings, I gave it a run and suddenly Civ V was a deserving heir to the throne. It was the depth and multi-layered play that one expects from the Civ series, yet without making it more complicated.

Bought Batman Arkhana Asylum. Regretted it instantly. Games for Windows is all fucked to hell for a random bunch of people. Not worth the wasted time trying random solutions. I demanded a refund.

Bought Batman Arkhana Asylum. Regretted it instantly. Games for Windows is all fucked to hell for a random bunch of people. Not worth the wasted time trying random solutions. I demanded a refund.

Shame, as it's an excellent game. What GFWL problems did you experience?

And just curious...any problems getting a refund? I've heard of them doing that when a game is acknowledged as broken, but I've never seen Arkham Asylum be thought of as such.

Sucks to hear you had a bad experience. I bought Batman AA also and got it running without pain. I just signed up for a Live account and logged in through the game. Took about five minutes.

Good luck getting a refund...especially considering a GFWL account is mentioned in the game's description.

Sucks to hear you had a bad experience. I bought Batman AA also and got it running without pain. I just signed up for a Live account and logged in through the game. Took about five minutes.

Good luck getting a refund...especially considering a GFWL account is mentioned in the game's description.

Same. I picked up Arkham City, and DoW II collection, both of which use GFWL, and had zero issues with it.

GFWL is the devil. I actually didn't have any issues with Batman and GFWL using an offline profile, though it made Bioshock 2 unplayable for me which really pissed me off.

It would go into some kind of unending required update/error updating loop that made me want to chuck my computer through the wall. After a few hours dicking with it I gave up in disgust.

Any game that uses GFWL has to be really really good before I even think about buying it anymore.

GFWL is the devil. I actually didn't have any issues with Batman and GFWL using an offline profile, though it made Bioshock 2 unplayable for me which really pissed me off.

It would go into some kind of unending required update/error updating loop that made me want to chuck my computer through the wall. After a few hours dicking with it I gave up in disgust.

Any game that uses GFWL has to be really really good before I even think about buying it anymore.

Did you consider just updating it manually?

I bought Arkham Asylum last year and got a refund. I won't buy a GFWL game regardless of how good it is.

The prob with windows games is that the way windows wants to update there software durring the first log in while in the game. What you dont know is that a seperate window opens up outside the game on your desktop to start the update that you have to see to allow the update to start and finish.

Either start the game in a window or alt-tab out to the desktop to get to that update and allow it to work.

I tried that a number of other fixes. A lot of times you have an error, you google it, and people are like "oh, yeah, do this and its fixed" and I go on my merry way. For this I tried the first 5 fixes I saw and then gave up. I can just get it on the PS3 or Xbox, which I plan to since the let's play videos I watched before buying look amazing.

Part of the problem is steam. It's not the first game that wasn't properly implemented on their system. In the case of Batman it gives you an outdated version of GFWL. I updated it but that didn't fix the issue. They've gotten better though. They used to release games that were made for dos based windows that were never updated for post-dos windows and didn't work with compatability wizard. You'd download, install, and it just didn't work, for anyone.

The prob with windows games is that the way windows wants to update there software durring the first log in while in the game. What you dont know is that a seperate window opens up outside the game on your desktop to start the update that you have to see to allow the update to start and finish.

Either start the game in a window or alt-tab out to the desktop to get to that update and allow it to work.

Ahhh. The first time I tried a GFWL title I nearly went insane with the update / login thing. I haven't bought any others since then, because I didn't know what the problem was. Thanks for the info.

Yeah I tried updating GFWL manually, and tried uninstalling it completely & re-installing outside of Steam but it still gave me the finger. Tried some other suggestions from The Google but was ultimately defeated.

I was bummed because I really liked the first Bioshock and was looking forward to playing the 2nd one, but after awhile it just wasn't worth the aggravation

If Bioshock Ultimate is using GFWL too I might have to skip it.

Yeah I tried updating GFWL manually, and tried uninstalling it completely & re-installing outside of Steam but it still gave me the finger. Tried some other suggestions from The Google but was ultimately defeated.

I was bummed because I really liked the first Bioshock and was looking forward to playing the 2nd one, but after awhile it just wasn't worth the aggravation

Yeah, definitely kill any preorder or day one purchase desires.

Whats the problem? Tons of people have had zero issues with GFWL.

Even if they do release it for the PC Bioshock Ultimate is just Bioshock 1 and 2 with all the DLC. They're not going to take GWFL out of 2 and redo all the multiplayer stuff.

Worst steam sale ever. Amazon completely ripped Steam sales a new one this year.

Yes completely agreed. And Amazon gives you incentives to keep shopping with them....I mean come on, you can buy a 30 cent DLC and get a $5 coupon for the editor's choice list for 2013....and that list of games is NOT bad at all...you're bound to find one or two games you'll pick from the list....I personally got the walking dead for $7.50.....way better than Steam's price :)

I said earlier in this thread that Steam sale was a disappointed and it seems I am right. All I wanted was FarCry 3. And I messed it but if you notice that so many of the other games came up on sale more then once some like 5 to 7 times. I even wanted Farming Simulator 2013 but there sale price was to high.

I said earlier in this thread that Steam sale was a disappointed and it seems I am right. All I wanted was FarCry 3. And I messed it but if you notice that so many of the other games came up on sale more then once some like 5 to 7 times. I even wanted Farming Simulator 2013 but there sale price was to high.

You "messed" FC3?

ew.

Even if they do release it for the PC Bioshock Ultimate is just Bioshock 1 and 2 with all the DLC. They're not going to take GWFL out of 2 and redo all the multiplayer stuff.

Oops I meant Bioshock 3 (Infinite), not ultimate. :D

Just bought Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package for $ 7.49 with DLC too and it's deadline at 2 and half hour left at this moment right now, you better grab it.

Back