Steam 2011 Holiday Sale is here!!

Glad i downloaded the new Batman (16GB) game off steam before the sale started today! haha.. Got that before 2pm. Lucky me.

Wow, I can't even get the sale page to load, that's how hard it's getting hammered right now.

Trying the orcs must die demo...hopefully it finished by tomorrow lol.

Dude.

Just buy it. It's a crap ton of fun. At $3.74 it's a steal. It's an easy game play for a while, then set down and come back to it, and it's easy enough to pick back up.

It's fun coming back to levels you've completed and look for ways to get a better score.

Dude.

Just buy it. It's a crap ton of fun. At $3.74 it's a steal. It's an easy game play for a while, then set down and come back to it, and it's easy enough to pick back up.

It's fun coming back to levels you've completed and look for ways to get a better score.

This. For less than $4 it would be foolish to waste bandwidth on the demo. Just buy it, it's fun.

15 million sold for PC version? Did a Valve rep say this, or a Besthesda rep?

Also, I'm experiencing all of the problems mentioned so far in this thread.

No one said what the break down was but there must have been millions sold on steam. Let's put that into perspective. In the days of CS 1.6 glory big news was made that CS was the most popular game in the world with around 2.5 million players. Now days with over 10 million copies of games like COD, and Skyrim flying off the shelf in a week it is very reasonable to assume that 3 million could have been sold through steam. So what I am saying is 5 years of CS happens with a game that is 10x as large file size wise in a single week now. And managing that kind of flow is apparently not trivial.

Then think about Amazon. One of the largest (or largest, not sure) online retailers. During the holidays, they are going through a 24/7 DDOS, and I've never seen their site down, or even slow. Ever.

Steam should be doing something similar-- increase capacity when needed (holidays/major game releases), decrease it as needed during the year.

Amazon was terribly slow for me today on a camera deal and there were lots of issues on black friday. I will agree with you that Amazon is one of the most prepared companies on the internet but so what they are the king of this game we cannot expect every company to hit their level and even if we do they still have issues.

Don't quote me on this, but it looks like everything running normally now. Somehow I lost my entire TF2 inventory though...I assume that's temporary.

The coupon codes they give out won't be valid until AFTER January 2nd. And they won't work on anything released after the new year. So if you are planning on buying a Valve game, get it during this sale..because you are not going to save any money by waiting to use that coupon code...since I have yet to see anyone say they got more than 50% off and all the games tend to be 75% off during the sale.

And does anyone out there have any opinion on the Just Cause 2 DLC? It's cheap, but does it really add much of anything to the experience of the game?

I got on separate account 2 portal codes, useless since I already have it on all accounts.

50% off valve and 33% off valve. Also most likely useless so I am crossing my fingers for rest of the sales. I don't even know what to do with portal codes might just try to add them to the BF3 copies I am selling to in hopes they sweeten the deal.

I can't even get to the "free games/coupon codes" page. Just keeps erroring out.

Now if I try to click on the giveaway page, it links to a "Oops, sorry!" page...
Anyone else have this problem? Did they take down the site for now?

They are just getting hammered by people buying games from the sale and thinking they need to download the game right away. Please people do everyone a favor and if you buy a game from the winter sale just wait till the sale is over to download it. Im sure many of you all have plenty of other games to play and can wait a week to play the game you just got.

Just getting Fable III and Singularity for myself today, gifting Portal collection and Orcs.

@Sabrewulf and Jared701
Its in your steam tab in the inventory. I had to keep refreshing to see it. There is one gift they gave that doesn't have an avatar or item description.

Last edited:
I'm so confused by the Valve coupons for 50% off during the sale. Everything is already 50% off, the coupon isn't good for games released after the sale, and it doesn't work during the sale.

I can only come to two conclusions:
A. Oversight by Valve and the coupon is worthless.
B. HL3 will be released before the end of 2011.

They are just getting hammered by people buying games from the sale and thinking they need to download the game right away. Please people do everyone a favor and if you buy a game from the winter sale just wait till the sale is over to download it. Im sure many of you all have plenty of other games to play and can wait a week to play the game you just got.

The game download severs do not affect the Steam Store and its servers, game downloads are completely different servers located all over the place. Notice all the download regions in Steam settings?

@Sabrewulf and Jared701
Its in your steam tab in the inventory. I had to keep refreshing to see it. There is one gift they gave that doesn't have an avatar or item description.

Meh, not working atm, says I have a gift in the great gift pile objectives, inventory is empty, refreshing does nothing. Thanks though.

Last edited:
Meh, not working atm, says I have a gift in the great gift pile objectives, inventory is empty, refreshing does nothing. Thanks though.

Your Steam Inventory empty?

Guess my inventory will return eventually - http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2302933

"We are currently aware of the issues with your Steam Inventory displaying 0 items when in fact there are items in your inventory.

We are working quickly to resolve this issue. We appreciate your patience and understanding in this matter.

Please do not submit support tickets regarding this issue as it will be resolved soon. "

For those of you who can see your inventory at times. Are you supposed to get something for each achievement you've gotten? I only seem to have gotten a coupon for the steam inventory achievement, but not for the OMD Deck the Halls achieve. And by reading it, you should get something for the achievements...as I understand it.

I'm so confused by the Valve coupons for 50% off during the sale. Everything is already 50% off, the coupon isn't good for games released after the sale, and it doesn't work during the sale.

C. Its a way of you being able to buy after the sale if you want when they're no longer 50% off, and IF there are any new games released it won't be valid for them.

I choose C.

Yup, HL3 is coming out special just for you on Christmas.

This. For less than $4 it would be foolish to waste bandwidth on the demo. Just buy it, it's fun.

Dude.

Stop persuading me to buy things :p

I guess Valve must've noticed my 1300+ hours on CS:S that they just had to give me a giftable copy of CS:S. I love you gabe :rolleyes:

Err. I got a 25%-off-valve-games coupon. I was hoping to stack that with Portal 2 and get 25% off 7.49, but it looks like it isn't taking.

I guess there are still many hours left on today's sales, I'll be waiting to see if it's just a fluke or an oversight on Valve's part as speculated somewhere above. I hope so, because I don't intend to buy any other Valve games for.. well, indefinitely. :/

Scored a copy of Half Life 2 and Lost Coast from Gift.

You can not use the coupons on this sale; it is clearly mentioned in your inventory -- provided you have access to it.

Back