Steam - 10-90% off everything

I already had BioShock that I paid $5 for from ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ and Portal came with the Orange Box I couldn't wait to buy. What is AudioSurf?

Supposed to be a racing game where the tracks are based on the music that's playing. It comes with music, but you can use your own audio tracks. Reviews are good, and for $5.00, it's worth taking a small risk.

Buying Portal will let you in on about 30% more gamer nerd jokes and references, possibly 32% depending on the crowd you roll with. Honestly, if you have ever wondered what "the cake is a lie" is all about then $5 for the sake of your sanity is well worth it.

Unless the paid version is different from the free version, I will hate it.
When I played it seemed like the physics were all out of whack, even recognizing that it was supposed to allow loop de loops and shit, but still it reminded me of one of those slot car race tracks I had as a kid. It would have been cool as that, but I seemed to end up off the track more often than not, and then weird edges would make it so I had to drive all over the place to get back on the track.

I don't know, maybe I was doing something wrong, but it just seemed to handle and play like ass.

The car in the free version is the easiest to control. I've been playing it since it came out. I don't really like any of the 6 extra environments in the pay version.

The jumps and loops were fun when I pulled them off, but if I didn't wrap all the way around the loop, or accidentally went off track, I quickly found myself losing interest as I tried to figure out how to get back on track.
There are many tracks that can't be finished if you make even a small mistake. Even if you make it past one hard area after you make a mistake, you might not have enough speed to get through the next area. Just restart often.

Many of my favorite tracks play horribly if you're not fairly good at the game.

I've played Portal on a friend's machine (played it straight-through twice, once with commentary and once without) so I do know all about GLaDOS and the Cake (which technically wasn't a lie if you see the ending animation) Though I might buy it just to try for Steam achievements... and no reason to buy Orange Box since I have HL2 and really am uncertain about TF2...

Though hell $5 isnt even an hours work...

The car in the free version is the easiest to control. I've been playing it since it came out. I don't really like any of the 6 extra environments in the pay version.

There are many tracks that can't be finished if you make even a small mistake. Even if you make it past one hard area after you make a mistake, you might not have enough speed to get through the next area. Just restart often.

Many of my favorite tracks play horribly if you're not fairly good at the game.

I was just looking at United... do you not suggest the pay version if the free one is already good enough?

I've played Portal on a friend's machine (played it straight-through twice, once with commentary and once without) so I do know all about GLaDOS and the Cake (which technically wasn't a lie if you see the ending animation) Though I might buy it just to try for Steam achievements... and no reason to buy Orange Box since I have HL2 and really am uncertain about TF2...

Though hell $5 isnt even an hours work...

Yea don't buy the orange box if you think you might not play TF2... Because you'l end up getting addicted and play for hours on end :eek:

[DFR]Random;1033524701 said:
id Superpack is the same price ya know :D

Actually it's $1 cheaper for the id Superpack. This might be one of the greatest steals around since TPB. Who on earth would buy the Doom Pack when you can get the id pack for cheaper and get all of the Quake, Hexen and Wolfenstein games for $1 LESS!

So many choices...

Is Company of Heroes Gold worth picking up at that price? I do like RTSs, but I'm not sure how much of my enjoyment is from buildings and tech trees than micromanaging units. Wonder if it has been out long enough to be cheaper buying it boxed.

Can you change the screen resolution on the full versions of Peggle or Peggle Nights? I loved the Orange Box version, except it was stretched out to holy hell on my monitor.

Actually it's $1 cheaper for the id Superpack. This might be one of the greatest steals around since TPB. Who on earth would buy the Doom Pack when you can get the id pack for cheaper and get all of the Quake, Hexen and Wolfenstein games for $1 LESS!

I know someone who enjoyed Doom (not sure about Wolf), but actually wrote id a letter (in which I doubt they cared) about the symbols (satanic? I can't remember...) in Quake...

They for one would buy the Doom pack while having no desire for the id complete pack, I kid you not...

I didn't get the Superpack because I have, had, or have played several of those games already. Plus other games in the pack don't interest me.

I know someone who enjoyed Doom (not sure about Wolf), but actually wrote id a letter (in which I doubt they cared) about the symbols (satanic? I can't remember...) in Quake...

They for one would buy the Doom pack while having no desire for the id complete pack, I kid you not...

Right... because Doom contains nothing demonic in it :rolleyes:

So many choices...
Can you change the screen resolution on the full versions of Peggle or Peggle Nights? I loved the Orange Box version, except it was stretched out to holy hell on my monitor.

No, resolution is fixed in Peggle Deluxe. Not sure about Peggle Nights, but I would assume it is.

Right... because Doom contains nothing demonic in it :rolleyes:

I'm not saying I get it... I just remember that Doom was acceptable as you are going to Hell to fight them (or "Hell on Earth", etc...), and Wolf, well, fighting Nazis in Nazi-land, you're going to see Nazi symbols...

Apparently the symbolism for Quake, where you're... Wherever you are... Seemed out of place and now unacceptable...

FWIW - He lived in Texas, no far from id's HQs... Made decent money whatever he did, and had like a dozen girlfriends... Weird religion?

To be honest, I'd have to see Quake again to even begin to remember what his issue was... This was back in 1996/1997, mind you...

Fair enough. I think I was using my wife's wheel, but I'll try out my gamepad.

I believe the tracks I tried out were the stunt tracks, which is why I got the feeling of being on a Tyco track. The jumps and loops were fun when I pulled them off, but if I didn't wrap all the way around the loop, or accidentally went off track, I quickly found myself losing interest as I tried to figure out how to get back on track.

I'll give it another shot; it's a lot different weighing a $20 dollar game than a $40 dollar one.

Well, United is different than nations... nations is just stadium...

The "stunt"-type tracks in nations is not really what I meant...

In united, you have different categories... Stunt, puzzle, etc are some of them...

The "stunt" category is purely for performing your own stunts... Not racing through a stunt course, just performing stunts for style points...

It's understanding the physics on these courses and understanding how it styles itself into points that I don't quite get into... (I'm not fond of the first two TM games, where this was more of those games... I just like to race...)

So, maybe Nations (free) with some of the user-made tracks would be more your thing?

Because while united does have some more single-player racing tracks, it's only about the same amount as Nations...

Wow, did I just do a 180 and suggest not to get TMUF? (I do like the extra stadium tracks in TMUF... It's where it truly goes "united" back to the older games that I do go a bit "eh" about...)

The first TM game is like red neck racing, IMO... Some courses are fairly fun though...

What would you guys say is the best value racing game Steam has available in this sale? Thanks.

What would you guys say is the best value racing game Steam has available in this sale? Thanks.

Probably depends on what type of game you like... The Flatout games are pretty cheap, and most people really love Trackmania... you can try the free version of that then see if the $20 version is worth it or not.

Yea don't buy the orange box if you think you might not play TF2... Because you'l end up getting addicted and play for hours on end :eek:

QFT!!! I was up until 4:00am (again) playing TF2. If you like online team based FPS, Team Fortress 2 is da' bomb. It's worth it just for the humorous characters.

Probably depends on what type of game you like... The Flatout games are pretty cheap, and most people really love Trackmania... you can try the free version of that then see if the $20 version is worth it or not.

Thanks, I'll check them out. One of my favorite old car-related game was "Stunts". Man, that was fun! Yes, it's a very old game, like from the '90s. :eek:

Apparently the symbolism for Quake, where you're... Wherever you are... Seemed out of place and now unacceptable...
That's weird. In Quake, you played the role of a "slipgate warrior", and the goal was, basically, to defeat evil monsters and collect various runes in other dimensions. The runes themselves are meaningless, so I'm not sure what issue he'd have with Quake in comparison to Doom.

Both games had elements of demonic imagery, Quake to a lesser extent.

Thanks, I'll check them out. One of my favorite old car-related game was "Stunts". Man, that was fun! Yes, it's a very old game, like from the '90s. :eek:

One of my first thoughts after playing TMN for a bit was "finally someone brought 'Stunts' into the 21st century." I had been hoping for a while someone would.

And, again, until TMN, the first two TM games hadn't really done it for me... (I re-state this in case someone played one of the first two and was turned off... I would have been, too... But the stadium courses from TMN/TMNF/TMUF are what stunts wanted to be...)

The Flatout games are all about car-wrecking ;)

Thanks, I'm d/l'ing the demo. Even the demo is a pretty big file - 175 MB. :cool:

If I like it, I guess I might as well buy the newest one (FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage) for $10 rather than the older games for $5 or $7.50. What do FlatOut fans say?

Edit: I just checked its system requirements. It says NVidia 7600 series card or better required. I only have an NVidia 6800GT. :eek:

Flatout Ultimate Carnage is pretty good. I bought it for $10 at one of the game stores in the mall. I like it a lot, but it would be a lot more fun if I had a xbox 360 controller.

One of my first thoughts after playing TMN for a bit was "finally someone brought 'Stunts' into the 21st century." I had been hoping for a while someone would.

And, again, until TMN, the first two TM games hadn't really done it for me... (I re-state this in case someone played one of the first two and was turned off... I would have been, too... But the stadium courses from TMN/TMNF/TMUF are what stunts wanted to be...)

Sweet, so it's like a modern day Stunts. I'll check TMN out as well. :)

I'm new to steam and have a question

I just downloaded steam and bought TF2. I want to install TF2 on my new build, so if I install it on this computer then I won't be able to install it on my new build right? As long as I can install the game whenever I want, then that is cool.

I'm new to steam and have a question

I just downloaded steam and bought TF2. I want to install TF2 on my new build, so if I install it on this computer then I won't be able to install it on my new build right? As long as I can install the game whenever I want, then that is cool.

You can install the game wherever you want. You'll just need to download Steam for that computer and log in to your account. Then you can select what games you want to install on that computer.

So is the general opinion that TrackMania Nations is enough and we don't necessarily have to buy United Forever?

I just got BioShock and Portal...i played the Bioshock demo but haven't played portal yet.....but for less than $10 for both games I can't really complain. I remember wanting to play Bioshock but could't afford it back then.

So many choices...

Is Company of Heroes Gold worth picking up at that price? I do like RTSs, but I'm not sure how much of my enjoyment is from buildings and tech trees than micromanaging units. Wonder if it has been out long enough to be cheaper buying it boxed.

You may be able to get it cheaper boxed (I think ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ has had the gold version cheap for one of their sales before), but don't bother. Get the Steam version as that'll use steam's patch system. The boxed version of CoH has one of the crappiest patch systems ever. They only have a few roll-up patches, otherwise you have to install every patch in order (and there are a lot of them).

I just reinstalled it a few weeks ago to play with a friend and it literally took an hour and a half to get and install all the patches.

So is the general opinion that TrackMania Nations is enough and we don't necessarily have to buy United Forever?

Yes and no...

My favorite part of TMUF is still the TMNF side of it, I admit... Parts of TMUF that make it 'united' into the older games are the parts that I go "bleh" at sometimes...

But, I cannot guarantee the greater multi-player side of it(in case you go that route, and yes, MP is a blast) will have tracks that will work with TMNF... Maybe, probably, but I don't guarantee...

Simply put: I thought TMNF is a blast, and although I don't enjoy (because I'm not good at all of it) all of the united parts, I certainly that $40 was fine to buy TMUF...

For $20, I hate to say no, then have you find you like something about it, and then you wish you'd saved $20 when TMUF is now $40 later...

I can't remember who asked/said what, but if you enjoyed TMNF for free, I cannot see you absolutely regretting TMUF @ $20...

TMUF has so much stuff to it, that I bought it when it came out, and mess with it occasionally, and STILL have no got around to the MP side of it as of yet... It takes a lot of practice to be good/great on a consistent level...

(TMUF for the MP side is really geared towards being competitive... Or, I should say the on-line side... On TMNF, you can do SP stuff that's just kind of for your own entertainment, but in TMUF, you can submit your best SP runs to sort of be an on-line competition for those runs... That's the part I haven't done yet...)

FWIW - On the Nations side, I'm ranked like 17th in my state, and on the United side, I'm ranked 25th... It all has to do with how much time I've spent on both...

But I load it for a quick spin for a momemt, and I tend to notice I have it loaded for an hour at minimum... If I can't get gold, well, I'm going to try again 'til I do!

(And once you start breaking Nadeo marks, that's when it's time to go on-line!)

Again: I paid $40 for TMUF on release, and don't regret it...

Thanks for your opinion Tolyngee... I did enjoy Nations, played it for a couple weeks... but haven't turned it on for over 6 months since then.

Tough call, mostly because there are also so many other games I could also buy right now, hehe. Maybe there will be a Steam weekend deal for the same price in the future....

Thanks for your opinion Tolyngee... I did enjoy Nations, played it for a couple weeks... but haven't turned it on for over 6 months since then.

Tough call, mostly because there are also so many other games I could also buy right now, hehe. Maybe there will be a Steam weekend deal for the same price in the future....

The funny thing is, is that I just got a new 30" monitor, and to test some games @ 2560x1600, and being too lazy to swap discs (yay Steam...), TMUF ended up being a no-brainer.

I found it funny that it said I hadn't loaded it since mid-July, 5.5 months... (I got a ton of free coppers, though...)

But, I just wanted to see the resolution...

Well, ended up having it loaded for a few hours, then same thing another day again, when I just planned to look at the higher res, etc etc...

I got some more golds out of it, and missed some tv that I was planning to watch instead of TMUF...

So, yeah, it's pretty addicting to me...

If you're unsure of spending $20, then please don't...

But, like you, I hadn't loaded it in almost a half-year, and I found it hard to put down once I had it loaded...

I guess I am suggesting you load TMNF again... If you react the same as me, then buy TMUF... If not, then yeah, I wouldn't suggest you buy it...

I love auto racing though, and (believe it or not) but you can learn some absolute racing fundamentals from TMN... If someone doesn't understand how to get around a track quickly, that free copy of TMF is a good way to start understanding racing lines, and when to brake and accelerate... And since it's not a sim, it's forgiving as far as understanding traction.. (gas is gas, brake is brake...)

I do remember (over two years ago) that the on-line MP tracks that people were making blew away the tracks you will find within vanilla TM that Nadeo has made... While I only really, really played it for a few weeks (once I realized how good I was at it...), it really took all of my free time...

Afraid to get on-line again, as I know for me it's just addicting...

two years ago was the first time I partly understood the addiction craze with on-line gaming for some people... It's not about the game, as much as it finding what really trips your trigger...

Find one that works for you, and you're glued!

(Sorry, love the game...)

Try some TMNF again... If it gets you hooked, spend the $20!

I just got BioShock and Portal...i played the Bioshock demo but haven't played portal yet.....but for less than $10 for both games I can't really complain. I remember wanting to play Bioshock but could't afford it back then.

I almost bought bioshock last week for $20.I am glad I didn't pick it up.I am in for bioshock for $4.99 it's a no brainer.
I am picking up orange box also

I gave up, couldnt resist and got portal for $5. Also decided to grab TF2 since I had a lot of ppl tell me I would be happy with it @ $20.

You can try many of the other 6 environments available in Trackmania United by downloading the demos for the older Trackmania games.
Trackmania
Trackmania Sunrise
Trackmania Sunrise Extreme

Back